Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: The F6- Am I crazy?"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Mon 27-Aug-12 06:10 PM

>> The digital bodies are missing a lot of the charm. Not a film vs. digital rant here, simply stating fact.

Not taking it as a film/digital debate. My point is the F6 is a digital body with a film sensor. It's not particularly charming IMO. It's large, has basically a D200/D700 control set. Comes complete with CLS, eats expensive batteries (if you get one please search out a separate and new battery carrier). If that battery carrier corrodes, it's the Achilles heel of the F6 body.

I found the F3 and F2As had a lot of charm along with my Leica M3 and M6, but once you get to movable AF points, rear LCDs, control wheels the charm begins to evaporate - I guess its that beautifully smooth manual film advance that does it for me.

If I want to take film images, then I really start liking the F100, F5, F6 - those because I like night photography and they have spot metering. The F5 has hard to see (in low light) black AF brackets. The F100 and F6 brackets glow red like on the DSLR.

I found the post processing headache much less of a problem with LR4 and the hassle of finding someone who was reliable on the film processing. Trying to find a processor who understood "print for the highlights", "turn your auto exposure off" was a difficult task. Within the last month two of my most reliable local film shops have gone out of business or severely curtailed their services and those that are in business have such reduced work flow that their chemicals run the more risk of being stale. More than once have I received magenta everything. That's when I finally called it quits.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic The F6- Am I crazy? [View all] , ArthurNikonF , Mon 27-Aug-12 02:07 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The F6- Am I crazy?