Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Leatham

Table Top, AU
86 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Railfan"

Leatham Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2012
Thu 09-Aug-12 06:31 AM | edited Thu 09-Aug-12 10:23 AM by Leatham

Hello Bill

I lived next to a Hunter Valley mine when I was young, with double headed steam locos hauling coal 24 hours a day. The clanking sounds and smell of smoke have stayed with me ever since.

I now live next to the main line from Melbourne to Sydney and watch what is left of the passenger service plus the ever expanding freight trains from my spot in the back yard.

I didn't take this photo, but I really wish I had. It inspires me to try a few similar shots over my back fence when spring arrives - on film of course just for the challenge!

There is a small container terminal just a few miles up the track and these trains are still under full power and accelerating hard as they pass my house, having just re-entered the main line. With around 4,500hp in each loco it is hard to ignore them go by! When they use four locos it gets very exciting indeed.

Here is a typical "high-speed" Aussie freight train running on our less-than-perfect rails. This is a big country (Sydney to Perth is 4,000km) with a population under 23 million. Maintaining the tracks isn't a high priority with the government. Come to think of, I am not sure what is a high priority with our decidedly amateur politicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3v5oynFmP8

Gregory

A general, generic topic F90x and Reala [View all] , Leatham Gold Member , Thu 12-Jul-12 08:33 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: F90x and Reala