Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

If digital hadn't killed film. . .

InsuredDisaster

US
95 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"If digital hadn't killed film. . . "

InsuredDisaster Registered since 27th Aug 2008
Sat 17-Mar-12 10:02 PM

So today I was using my F100. Super nice camera. I've got the grip and that was nice, but then heading to the playground I decided to remove the grip. Naturally my prefered lens, the 35mm F2D was not available to use so I had to go with one of the hulkingly huge zooms but whatever.

Anyway, I don't own an F6 so I don't know what I'm missing (don't tell me please, can't afford it), but suppose there was no such thing as digital. In the last 10 years or so, where would film cameras have gone?

I'm just figuring but there wouldn't really be a need for 1 or 2 year upgrade cycles like you see right now. I guess the F200 might have a slightly faster AF system and improved metering, though of course, it is already great. Nikon might have finally done away with the annoying numbered CSM menu to something a bit easier to figure out without the need for a cheat sheet.

I suppose there might have been some slight ergonomic changes, though I actually prefer the F100/F5 feel to my D700/300 cameras. Not saying some improvements couldn't be made, but the F100/F5 both feel thinner and just have a better feel to them. Flash technology might be improved as well, and we can see where that is going with Nikons CLS system so no need to speculate there.

For those of you with the F6 for example, Nikon is due to announce the F7 any day now so what do you think the specs might be?

I guess what I'm saying is that for camera design and development, how could it get any better?

I'm sure that on the other hand, film might be much improved. I think some were expecting films with ISO ratings of 5,000 easily. (Yawn, I know, the D4 does something stupidly high like 200,000.) Any ideas on where film might have been today? No need to say things like Kodak would still have some theater named after them. That's a given.

In some ways, we can all be thankful that digital didn't come around 50 years earlier, or we'd have some pretty poor choices for film cameras!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic If digital hadn't killed film. . . [View all] , InsuredDisaster , Sat 17-Mar-12 09:02 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: If digital hadn't killed film. . .