Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

So, which Nikon AF has the sweetest advance sound ever?

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: So, which Nikon AF has the sweetest advance sound ever?"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Mon 06-Feb-12 05:32 PM

Many of the movies advance sounds were taken to emulate the 60's & 70's newsreel sound of the Photomic FTn, F2 and F3 motor drives. The "sound" got progressively better till the MD4. Newsreels of the Oval Office with the background sounds of the drives made us think that top-rated photography was all about "kerchunk whir".

For me, the sweetest feel of an advance was a tossup between my F2 and F3. The F2 was damped by the largess mass of the camera, the F3 was steel on steel bearing smooth. OTOH, the FM2n had such a fine toothed ratchet and pleasant feel in my hand that between those three it was a pleasure to throw the advance and hear/feel the subtle mechanical control "rumble" in the camera.

However, I always found that the F3 w/ MD4 was brought a head snapping response from folks around me.

Best Retards,
Roger

A general, generic topic So, which Nikon AF has the sweetest advance sound ever? [View all] , dbl_gt , Mon 06-Feb-12 09:46 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: So, which Nikon AF has the sweetest advance sound e...