Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
kennoll

Seattle, US
953 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Win 8"

kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011
Thu 01-Nov-12 08:00 PM

OK, I downloaded Win 8 and installed it on the old Vista laptop (circa 2009) drive. First thing I learned is that when you download Win 8 it will go right into install mode. So, be ready to install immediately on download. You will have an opportunity to 1) save current windows settings and personal stuff, 2) save personal stuff only, or 3) do a clean install saving nothing. I chose #2.

The build took a while. Once I made the above decision there was little input from me for the rest of the install.

Once installed and running things do look different from previous Windows. Lots of boxes representing various apps. You can go through those and "unpin" the apps you don't need/want. Those that are left you can move around depending on frequency of use or whatever.

Downloaded Camera Control Pro 2 and VNX2. Installed both. They look to work fine. At least in the minimum testing I did the apps didn't break nor did they result in blue screens.

Also loaded Adobe Reader and Google Chrome. Unpinned the IE shortcut as it's job was done.

BTW, my laptop is not of the touch screen variety.

Win 8 takes a little time to get used to but, knowing it's a Windows OS under the hood, one gets the feel of it fairly soon.

Now for LR4....

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

A general, generic topic Win 8 [View all] , expat Silver Member , Fri 26-Oct-12 03:08 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Win 8