Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JonK

New York, US
6412 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Fork in the Road"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sat 18-Aug-12 12:15 AM

This is a very interesting and enlightening discussion! I'll stay out of the catalog debate — my meager library is around 8200 images, and many shoots were specific, standalone events so the manual folder system still works well. General landscape, cityscape, and wildlife images w=are (I think) reasonably well key worded, so I can generally find what I want.

Four four years I used a PM/CNX2 workflow, augmented with Nik filters and with Photoshop lurking int he background. Last year I decided (with help from an Image Doctor!) that Lightroom had caught and surpassed CNX2, so I made the jump.

And I'm quite happy that I did. Lightroom is almost all of what I need; I'm still using Nik (more than ever); I use Photoshop less. (Full disclosure: my day job is graphics and print production and I use most of Adobe's apps. Adding LR was the easy choice. Also, Adobe will be the last company standing…)

But here's the irony. I can't kick the PM habit. I still use it for initial screening (kill the baddies), key wording, and for some clients immediate export of JPGs. PM is just so easy but so powerful, and so fast. I just love it, and maybe down the road I'll try their (future) catalog.

My issue is backup. At work, i'm used to a fast wired hookup to the (RAID) server. At home, I'm entirely wireless and, not happy ingesting and developing a few hundred images after a shoot, I work locally and manually copy to multiple backup drives. I'm also still searching for backup drives/software/etc. that will reliably work on a wireless Mac system.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

This is a hot, active topic! Fork in the Road [View all] , dohearne , Wed 01-Aug-12 09:15 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Fork in the Road