Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
macfish

Columbus, US
140 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Fork in the Road"

macfish Registered since 05th Nov 2004
Thu 02-Aug-12 06:45 PM

Yes, it's a fork many of us face. Until recently I was totally devoted to PM and NX2 (w/CEP3). I had an old Lightroom 1 license key, so was able to upgrade for $80. After investing in George Jardines videos and Martin Evening's book for LR 4.1, I find myself increasingly going to LR. I also have Silver EFx, Define, HDR and CEP4, all for Lightroom, which as you say function outside of NX2. But for all practical purposes they function the same way with Lightroom. And while I find NX2's "version" functionality great, again, similar ways of doing things exist with Lightroom.
As I learn more about Lightroom, and as Nikon goes on 3-4 years without updating NX2, the Lightroom/PM fork is looking like an easier journey. And for my purposes, enthusiast not pro, using a fraction of PM's functionality, Lightroom/Nik may end up being my primary tools sooner than later. YMMV. Note: I do not pixel-peep, use UniWB, print larger than 12x18, do little if any batch processing, and process til the results look good to ME. I'd also rather spend time shooting than learning umpteen different programs. A verbal indication with NIK staff indicate that the relationship with Nikon is history. So many choices, so little time, but the good news is that there are now multiple excellent ways to achieve great results.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Fork in the Road [View all] , dohearne , Wed 01-Aug-12 09:15 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Fork in the Road