Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 pixel peeping

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Sat 23-Jun-12 06:10 PM

I was working on an image today from a shoot last fall. This is from the famous Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma, named for its uniquely colored red volcanic soils.

We always hear about how difficult it is to resolve the tiny pixels on today's cameras, and how pixel peeping at 100% reveals flaws that are only relevant to billboard-sized prints, etc.

Anyway, I typically sharpen at 50% view, and then review my sharpening at 100%. None of this is probably relevant to the web-sized images we share here, but I find it can be useful for prints. For this particular image, the pixel level detail I found to be quite amazing, so I thought I'd share the image and a couple 100% crops.

The first is the entire image as composed and downsampled for the web. The latter two are crops from the image to a size allowable by the board, but with no interpolation, so these are actual pixels. This is the equivalent of making a 70"x45" print and pressing your nose against it.

Pretty nice showing for the D7000 IMHO despite its tiny pixels!

D7000 + Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM
50mm f/8 1/80" ISO 100
tripod/MLU/OS off/contrast detect AF using LiveView

Click on image to view larger version

crop1:

crop2:

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Attachment#1 (jpg file)