The exposure mode dial is my biggest complaint with the ergonomics of the D7K. I work out of holster bags and dry bags, often in kayaks and canoes. I've had many occasions where I've changed my exposure mode unknowingly during my draw from such bags. Additionally, I've knocked the dial off when using larger lenses in the vertical mode.
Since I switch between aperture priority and manual exposure often using gaffer tape was an inconvenient fix. Tried various O-rings and rubber bands without success.
I've finally come up with something that seems to work quite nicely - heat shrink tubing. I had a package of assorted diameters in my tool box, the largest being just slightly greater than 3/4" in diameter. Using an Exacto knife I removed a 3/16" wide section of this tubing and stretched it over the mode dial using a pair of forceps. The fit was quite snug but I applied a bit of heat via a heat gun at its low setting. This was just enough to cause the shrink tubing to snug right into the knurled dial and conform to the slight taper of the dial.
There's no interference with either upper or lower dials and the upper exposure mode dial know longer has the exposed knurled surface that so easily grabs any material it came into contact with. The dial now has a rather slick surface allowing it to slide instead of grab.
I've been using this for several days now with no disruptions in any of my bags that were previously causing consistent accidents.
I'm much happier with this simple little modification.
Heat shrink tubing is meant to be heated after it is in place, so yes, it must have already been on. You shouldn't need to worry about melting the camera as (a) the heat isn't all that high - under 100C - and (b) it doesn't take very long at all - seconds - especially for thinner tubes.
_____ Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member
My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!
I missed this post earlier. Thanks so much for posting - and Brian - thanks for the link.
I have had the camera mode change inadvertently on 5 occasions over 10 days of shooting. The first 3 times is cost me 10-20 images - I may be slow but I finally started checking the dial. This looks to be a good solution.