Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Exposure mode dial fix

Holmes375

RO
1523 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Holmes375 Registered since 09th Sep 2006
Thu 07-Jul-11 03:02 AM

The exposure mode dial is my biggest complaint with the ergonomics of the D7K. I work out of holster bags and dry bags, often in kayaks and canoes. I've had many occasions where I've changed my exposure mode unknowingly during my draw from such bags. Additionally, I've knocked the dial off when using larger lenses in the vertical mode.

Since I switch between aperture priority and manual exposure often using gaffer tape was an inconvenient fix. Tried various O-rings and rubber bands without success.

I've finally come up with something that seems to work quite nicely - heat shrink tubing. I had a package of assorted diameters in my tool box, the largest being just slightly greater than 3/4" in diameter. Using an Exacto knife I removed a 3/16" wide section of this tubing and stretched it over the mode dial using a pair of forceps. The fit was quite snug but I applied a bit of heat via a heat gun at its low setting. This was just enough to cause the shrink tubing to snug right into the knurled dial and conform to the slight taper of the dial.

There's no interference with either upper or lower dials and the upper exposure mode dial know longer has the exposed knurled surface that so easily grabs any material it came into contact with. The dial now has a rather slick surface allowing it to slide instead of grab.

I've been using this for several days now with no disruptions in any of my bags that were previously causing consistent accidents.

I'm much happier with this simple little modification.

Cheers!

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Exposure mode dial fix