Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Testing Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm OS)

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2683 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Wed 13-Jun-12 05:45 AM | edited Wed 13-Jun-12 05:48 AM by Antero52

Now that I have the Bigma, what do I use for testing? Let’s see what I can find in the garden. A pair of mallards for starters.

Click on image to view larger version

Looking good but the male is clearly sharper than the female. With my old 150-500mm, both of them would have been passably sharp but no more.

But what’s that? Is that the m… thing? No, I must be dreaming, only the best of primes can cause moiré, and certainly not long zooms when hand-held.

What next? A young rabbit. We usually see them almost daily but they are difficult to capture as they tend to flee or hide behind shrubs. This one is inexperienced and heads for an area of the garden that’s still very much work-in-progress. Press AF-ON while there’s good focus and fire.

100% crop looks good to me but I’m only seeing the rabbit from behind. A couple seconds later and the rabbit notices the fence (mauled by snow which hardened in the spring at the height of the fence and then shrunk while melting). The rabbit is heading for the grass on the right. Quickly release the AF-ON before the grass messes up the focus, and fire.

Crop looks ok. Good thing I released the AF-ON as the grass is clearly closer to the camera than the rabbit.

One second later the rabbit is in plain sight. Press AF-ON and fire.

Rabbit is close to sharp, at least the hair and whiskers on the left side are. The thing must be moving closer to me. So unfair! And while the rabbit is almost sharp, there’s clearly motion blur in the background.

Next second, and the rabbit only shows its behind and disappears. Testing lenses is harder than I thought. Why don’t somebody invent a test target that stays put?

What do you think? Shall I keep the lens or return it?

Regards, Antero

(All shots D800E, Sigma 50-500mm OS version, exposure set to manual 1/640, f/8, auto-ISO varying between about 220 (rabbit) and 1400 (mallards), OS in position "1")

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)
Attachment#7 (jpg file)
Attachment#8 (jpg file)
Attachment#9 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Testing Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm OS)

G