Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

GPS for Nikon - Inexpensive Garmin to MC-35 cable

IntegrityPhotos

Deerfield, US
1253 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
IntegrityPhotos Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Tue 18-Mar-08 10:34 AM | edited Wed 20-Feb-08 12:06 AM by IntegrityPhotos

With the various options available for imbedding GPS data in the EXIF of images, I chose to continue to use a full featured Garmin GPS unit rather than a dedicated unit like the N2-diGPS. This is so I can use it for tracking way points, and maintaining a visual readout as I hike various terrain looking for panorama vistas, etc. But rather than carry the bulky proprietary Garmin Serial Interface Cable, I found an alternative that's 1/2 the price and provides the opportunity to cut it to length. With the serial interface cable cut to less than one foot, the entire length with the MC-35 10 pin adapter from Nikon is less than 2 feet.

To achieve this, I first obtained a Garmin Data Cable, with the 4 pin round connector for my old GPS 12Map and new GPSMap 60CSX, for about $18.00. Then I obtained a cheap DB9 serial cable with at least one female connector (it could be male to female or female to female), for about $2.00. Following the schematic below, I cut and spliced the two together, after confirming the connections with an ohm meter and my original Garmin Serial Interface Cable. While the soldering is a little tricky, since the wire sizes are very small, by using needle nose pliers to hold the two wires twisted together, it provides a heat sink that keeps the soldering iron/gun from overheating the insulation and causing a possible short. As long as you have an ohm meter to check the serial connector pin to wire locations, the only other tools needed are the soldering iron/gun, needle nose pliers, wire stripper/cutter (can use pliers if it has cutting jaws, but be careful!), and electrical tape and/or heat shrink type insulation.

Needless to say, as with any do-it-yourself project, there's risk in damaging your electronic equipment, including the GPS and your DSLR. I don't warranty any of this information for your use, and you do so at your own risk. With this disclaimer said, here's a schematic of the wiring method I used for making a shorter version of the Garmin 4 Pin GPS to Nikon MC-35 serial connector cable:

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: GPS for Nikon - Inexpensive Garmin to MC-35 cable

G