Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon 24-120 VR NOT SO Bad

hwdx347

Maumelle, US
6273 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hwdx347 Basic Member
Wed 16-Sep-09 12:12 AM | edited Wed 16-Sep-09 12:26 AM by hwdx347

I've been using the excellent Nikon 35-70 f2.8D as my walk around lens on my D700. I've been wanting a lens with more flexability but didn't want the 24-70 because of the weight, size and cost. I decided to purchase a Nikon 24-120 VR and test it. This was with quite a bit of anxiety because of the wide range of comments about this lens on the net. Let's be honest the largest percentage go to the bad side. I don't shoot brick walls, newspapers or focus charts. So for what it's worth this is what I think.

My 35-70 has better color saturation, contrast and sharpness throughout the range. I expected that.

The 24-120 is a little soft wide open and at it's focal length extremes but at smaller apertures it is fine -- f9, f10, f11.

I shot it on a friend's D300 against his 16-85 VR and the results are close.

Conclusion -- If I needed critical sharpness I'd turn to the 35-70 or 105 VR but as an everyday carry around lens the 24-120 will work for most situations as long as you shoot at small aperture which of course is easy with the high ISO, low noise of the D700. Of course if you need shallow DOF and good bokeh you are stuck -- use a 35-70.

YMMV and I may have just got a good copy!!!!

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 24-120 VR NOT SO Bad