Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ohi

UK
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ohi Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Tue 07-Feb-12 11:24 AM

I have a big choice go for the D4 or the D800?

Covey22

US
11756 posts

#1. "RE: which One" | In response to Reply # 0

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter Member
Tue 07-Feb-12 11:47 AM | edited Tue 07-Feb-12 12:22 PM by Covey22

According to your profile, you're a DX user (D2X). FX is a BIG shift in both workflow and supporting equipment. The question should be: Do you *need* FX and are you *ready* for FX? The D300 already outdoes much of what the D2X delivered, so I would personally be waiting for the D400 before I made that much of a jump.

ohi

UK
14 posts

#2. "RE: which One" | In response to Reply # 1

ohi Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Tue 07-Feb-12 07:01 PM

Thank you for the advice

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#3. "RE: which One" | In response to Reply # 1

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Tue 07-Feb-12 10:23 PM

>According to your profile, you're a DX user (D2X). FX is a
>BIG shift in both workflow and supporting equipment. The
>question should be: Do you *need* FX and are you *ready* for
>FX? The D300 already outdoes much of what the D2X delivered,
>so I would personally be waiting for the D400 before I made
>that much of a jump.

I think DX lenses indicate a DX user better than going by the camera. I have all FX lenses and a D200, but I never bought DX lenses due to my desire to eventually go to an FX digital camera. The D700 was the first one in my price range, but then I was unemployed. Now the D800 is in my price range and I am making the plunge. The original poster has FX lenses like me.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

tommiejeep

Goa, IN
4638 posts

#4. "RE: which One" | In response to Reply # 0

tommiejeep Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008
Tue 07-Feb-12 11:55 AM | edited Tue 07-Feb-12 12:06 PM by tommiejeep

Both! Seriously, reading your profile, since you are Pro and shoot mainly Landscape I would see no need for a D4. I am not sure you need either

If your equipment profile is up-to-date then some glass new could be a consideration.

More information on why you feel you need one or the other would be helpful:)

Best of luck. You might want to post on the appropriate camera forums but since neither is really in any/many member's hands..... most will be looking at the specs.
Tom

Edit: Armando types faster than I do I just had a look at October House. I only saw one action shot..the dog shaking itself.. so I stick with no D4. I can see where you might want better high iso for events, schools, weddings and you might want higher Res. and more MP if you want to print your landscapes really big. You might want to look at a D3/D700. If you really need a tax right-off ....

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

rayboy

andover, US
628 posts

#5. "RE: which One" | In response to Reply # 4

rayboy Registered since 18th Dec 2008
Tue 07-Feb-12 09:58 PM

Hey Richard,
These other gentleman who answered your post are more knowledgeable than myself, but I will take a different path here because I always figure the person altready has their mind made up.
Go with the D700 or D3s save yourself some bucks, these cameras will blow your mind and then you will have some extra cash for good glass.
Ray

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my website. www.raymondrullophotography.com

makiru

Manila, PH
102 posts

#6. "RE: which One" | In response to Reply # 5

makiru Registered since 27th Feb 2008
Wed 08-Feb-12 06:57 AM

...go with the D800, hold for the D4s (I'm sure they're already working on it as we speak...even though the D4 is just announced), I currently have a D3s, so I'll probably get the D800 when the furore dies down to complement it, then..

G