Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sun 22-Apr-12 01:17 PM | edited Sun 22-Apr-12 01:17 PM by walk43

I have an SD and CF card installed in my D800 with my SD as my primary slot. I have a bad habit of putting my SD card in my PC to look at my shots and then going out to take more shots, while leaving my SD in my PC. When I only had the SD card installed and NO CF card, I had the Slot Empty Release Lock set to LOCK...so that I would not snap away with no card in the camera. But now that I have a CF card installed, the Release Button is no longer locked without the SD in place. It just records onto the CF. I understand why and it is a nice feature in that the D800 will allow me to take pics since the CF card is in. BUT...I now have no overflow and my pics go onto the CF. I know I could set it up to do back-up on the CF and then it should work...but that defeats the purpose of using at as an overflow.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how 'lock' the shutter release when the camera is set-up to use the CF as overflow and there is no SD in place?

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5988 posts

#1. "RE: D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"" | In response to Reply # 0

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Sun 22-Apr-12 01:14 PM

Walk,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to disable card writing when there is a memory card in the camera. For most of us this "feature" prevents not getting the shot. The camera is smart enough to realize you've left the "primary" card out and will write to the secondary card if it is available, or lock the shutter-release, if no cards are available. Of course, no overflow will work when only one card is in the system.

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."
==============================================

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#2. "RE: D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"" | In response to Reply # 1

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sun 22-Apr-12 03:40 PM

Thanks Darrell...that's what I thought and I agree it is actually a good thing to make sure we get the shots. Just checking.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

reijo

CA
28 posts

#3. "RE: D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"" | In response to Reply # 0

reijo Registered since 14th Apr 2012
Mon 23-Apr-12 09:00 AM

Which is better to set as the primary card:cf or sd. Or does it really matter?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5758 posts

#4. "RE: D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"" | In response to Reply # 3

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 23-Apr-12 09:34 AM

>Which is better to set as the primary card:cf or sd. Or does
>it really matter?

Yes.

Obviously if set to overflow it determines the one (singular) card it writes to.

But even if set to backup, if you look at a shot in playback mode and then delete the image, it deletes from only the primary card (unless you separately go search it out on the other card).

Also, note there's a separate setting for where video goes.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

reijo

CA
28 posts

#5. "RE: D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 23-Apr-12 10:28 AM

I do have it set to overflow with the cf card as primary. I was just wondering which card would be better set as primary or does it make no difference?

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#6. "RE: D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"" | In response to Reply # 5

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Mon 23-Apr-12 10:44 AM

It will make a difference if you have different speed cards. Currently I have a faster SDHC card hence have set SD to be my primary (for both photo and video) and CF card as overflow.

Pravin

reijo

CA
28 posts

#7. "RE: D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 23-Apr-12 01:18 PM

my sd card is sandisk extreme 45mb/sec 32 G
My cf card is sandisk extreme 16gb
Can you tell me which is the faster card?

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#8. "RE: D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"" | In response to Reply # 7

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Mon 23-Apr-12 01:24 PM

Sandisk Extreme CF will perform faster on your D800 than the Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s SDHC.

See Rob Galbraith\'s flash card speed test for D800.

Pravin.

reijo

CA
28 posts

#9. "RE: D800 "Controls" F11 - "Slot Empty Release Lock"" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 23-Apr-12 01:38 PM

Thanks
I am a bit of a novice so advice always welcome.

G