Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 High ISO performance Images

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6130 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Thu 09-Feb-12 12:33 PM

I came across another link by Cliff Mautner with initial comments about using the D800 for a wedding plus some images at ISO 3200 and 6400.

http://www.cmphotography.com/blog.cfm

The comment that stuck out for me was that Cliff says the D800 high ISO performance is about the same as a D3. If that is true, I'm sold!

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Pookoo

Houston, US
90 posts

#1. "RE: D800 High ISO performance Images" | In response to Reply # 0

Pookoo Registered since 08th Dec 2010
Thu 09-Feb-12 02:27 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#2. "RE: D800 High ISO performance Images" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Thu 09-Feb-12 03:13 PM

>I came across another link by Cliff Mautner with initial
>comments about using the D800 for a wedding plus some images
>at ISO 3200 and 6400.
>
>http://www.cmphotography.com/blog.cfm
>
>The comment that stuck out for me was that Cliff says the D800
>high ISO performance is about the same as a D3. If that is
>true, I'm sold!
>
>Russ
>
Thanks for the link Russ,

I downloaded all the full size jpgs from the Russian site yesterday and downsized them to compare to the D700 at the different high ISO settings. By directly comparing the noise patters in the out of focus dark areas I found the D800 and D700 performance to be nearly identical. This is not the 1 or 2 stop improvement that some folks are claiming but the same.

I plan on getting the D800 some time after the initial buying frenzy stops. I don't really need the camera because I already have a D3X and a D700, but in DX mode with my DX lenses it will more then replace my D300 and improve some performance like AF speed and added video. While 36mp sounds like a lot, it's really only a little increase over the D3X when it comes to cropping.

Len

G