Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Takes 4 Ever to download Mega Images & sample image.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Sat 24-Mar-12 08:30 PM

What a slow frustrating process downloading the D800 images has been today! I started off trying to use my card reader & finally resorted to plugging the camera directly into the computer using the USB cord provided & it made all the difference in the worls-Looks like for now that is the quickest was to import these Mega Files!

Here is one test image

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Takes 4 Ever to download Mega Images & sample image." | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Sat 24-Mar-12 07:36 PM

Sounds like you have a slow card reader. There are many fast readers available that will be at least as fast as the camera connection.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

DiamondPhotography

UK
233 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Takes 4 Ever to download Mega Images & sample image." | In response to Reply # 1

DiamondPhotography Registered since 29th Dec 2010
Sat 24-Mar-12 08:05 PM

Files should not take more than a few seconds to transfer...

North East Wedding Photographer

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Takes 4 Ever to download Mega Images & sample image." | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Sat 24-Mar-12 08:13 PM | edited Sat 24-Mar-12 08:28 PM by icslowmo

Also another thing to think about is if you are still using USB 2.0, your transfer limit will be about 20-22mb/s. So Files will take at least 2 sec. to download. I would recommend getting USB 3.0 adapter for computer and a USB 3.0 card reader. Then you will be transfering pics as fast as you CF/SD card can read...

USB 3.0 adapter:

http://www.adorama.com/WD2PU3PIC.html?kbid=912610

USB 3.0 card reader:

http://www.adorama.com/ILXPU3DSRWC7.html?kbid=912610

Just ordered these for my-self and came to $75 and some change...

Chris

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Takes 4 Ever to download Mega Images & sample image." | In response to Reply # 3

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Sat 24-Mar-12 08:18 PM

Thanks-I ordered an Extreme Pro CF card but it wont arrive until Monday and so I am using an extreme pro SD card & an extreme CF card until they arrive. I watched the Nikon Promo Youtube & the guy recommended using the new USB style cord that ships with the D800 & when I switched to that -it all went much faster. I ahve a very fast imac & use LR but there was a marked difference between importing D700 vs: D800 images.
Thanks for the info.!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

weinschela

US
1 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Takes 4 Ever to download Mega Images & sample image." | In response to Reply # 4

weinschela Basic Member
Sat 24-Mar-12 08:26 PM

There are also Firewire 800 card readers that are quite a bit faster than USB2. Maybe someday there will be a Thunderbolt reader.

Visit my website: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6107 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Takes 4 Ever to download Mega Images & sample image." | In response to Reply # 0

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Sat 24-Mar-12 11:31 PM

My D800 images take just about twice as long to upload to my PC than my D3 images.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, and using the built-in CF and SD card reader slots in my Dell XPS 9100 PC.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

G