Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
mtpeke Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2002
Wed 18-Sep-13 02:32 PM

I love my D300 and have been impatiently waiting on either a D400 or a D700 replacement and it appears that the D400 is a far far off dream and no idea when the D800 will be replaced. I do a little bit of pro work but it is mostly for my own enjoyment. I shoot a bit of everything: Travel, wildlife, landscapes, people and events (school events with poor lighting) and some sports. In a perfect world I would have a D4 but the money is not there. I do have a fair bit of FX glass and updated my computer 2 months ago to one that is screaming fast so I will be ok there I think. So is it worth it to save $300 to $400 on a good used unit from B&H or KEH? My neighbor stepped up from a D300 to D800 and the leap in IQ has been HUGE. Thoughts appreciated.

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

PSAGuy Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008
Wed 18-Sep-13 01:16 PM

No two ways about it, there are some sweet deals out there in used gear if you take your time and manage the "due diligence"

In my experience though Alicia, only you can determine the savings that makes it worthwhile to go used over new with bodies. That is because you really don't know the history of the unit....mistreated, dropped etc. Plus, things like shutter count, cosmetics etc affect value greatly.
Lenses for me are a different story as they really don't "age" like a camera body. A good lens today is probably a good lens in 5 years.

Only you can decide the economics of this....whether $300-400 is worth it to go used.

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 18-Sep-13 01:20 PM

I have never bought a used camera (used lenses -sure). I was thinking that KEH and B&H had a reputation of standing behind their equipment. Anyone have experience buying used cameras there?

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

MEMcD

US
31296 posts

#3. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Wed 18-Sep-13 09:40 PM

Hi Alicia,

I agree with Rick.
Only you can determine value.
How much is the peace of mind of a one year warranty worth to you.
I think KEH has extended their warranty on used gear to 6 months if I remember correctly. So what is an additional 6 months of warranty and no wear and tear worth to you? If it equals the difference in price buy the used body and don't look back.
If not, buy a new body and don't look back.

Best Regards,
Marty

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

#4. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 18-Sep-13 09:45 PM

Understood. Just curious if anyone has bought used from either source and if their experience was good or bad.

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

har1

CRAIGAVON, UK
22 posts

#5. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

har1 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2012
Wed 18-Sep-13 09:57 PM

$300 - $400 wouldn't be enough of a differential for me personally, to buy second hand over new, but only you can make the decision.

factotum

US
342 posts

#6. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007
Wed 18-Sep-13 10:56 PM

Cameta offers a 1 year warranty on all Nikon refurbished cameras. I bought my D800 for the holidays last year. Perfect in every way. I am finally starting to catch up to the camera's capabilities.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

audiophileman2002

Clarksville, US
1843 posts

#7. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 6

audiophileman2002 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2013
Wed 18-Sep-13 11:43 PM | edited Wed 18-Sep-13 11:46 PM by audiophileman2002

As previously mentioned, a Nikon refurbished from Cameta with one year warranty would be a good alternative. Roberts Camera is also selling @ eBay a Nikon refurbished for the same price as Cameta but only 6 mons. warranty.
I hesitated when I purchased my Nikon refurbished D800 from Adorama last winter for $2,300. When I got it, the shutter count was only 210 actuations. Looks like brand new when I got it. Only difference is the box, it came in a Nikon gray refurbished box. Otherwise, everything is the same. Incidentally, mine came with only 3 months Nikon warranty but never had any problem.
Furthermore, I've noticed prices drop during the winter if you can wait. I bought my D700 brand new about 4 years ago from Adorama for $2,400 when it was normally selling for $2,700. After the winter the price went back to $2,700.
All the best in your purchase.

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

#8. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 18-Sep-13 11:45 PM

I can wait ..heck I've been waiting for over 2 yrs to upgrade. When you say winter is that preorder post Christmas? .excellent tips!

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

audiophileman2002

Clarksville, US
1843 posts

#9. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 8

audiophileman2002 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2013
Wed 18-Sep-13 11:50 PM | edited Wed 18-Sep-13 11:57 PM by audiophileman2002

Not pre-order. Watch out for it around Christmas time. That's when the big camera stores usually put a nice sale. I booked the two cameras on line & was shipped the following day. Since I live in MD which is literally next to NJ where Adorama ships, I got it the day after they shipped.
I've been noticing the past few years that camera prices somehow drop over winter, not usually the lenses unless it comes as a Nikon promo like the D600 with the 24-85 last winter if I recall right sold for around $1900. Right after winter the price was the same except without lens.
Furthermore, Bill Me Later may have another promo this winter like last winter, anything above $900 can be paid in 18 mons. interest free.
Just found the receipt of the D800 I purchased. It was dated 1/3/13.

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

#10. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 19-Sep-13 12:10 AM

Excellent info. Thanks. Sorry for the auto correct error. I was asking pre or post Christmas which you kindly answered.

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

FredB D3

Indialantic, US
1169 posts

#11. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008
Thu 19-Sep-13 05:36 PM

Hi Alicia,

What sets the D800 apart from other used cameras, IMO, is the left-focus issue with early units. The problem seems to have been corrected in more recent production runs. Presumably a Nikon-reconditioned D800 will have had this checked and corrected as necessary. (Do others "recondition" cameras?) But for used/not reconditioned, I think there is an additional risk that the camera might need to go back for repair, unless this has been done or was not needed. Personally, I would feel more comfortable getting a used D800 if it had had the left-focus problem, and was accompanied by a copy of the repair order. Be certain that any seller's warranty would cover such necessary repair work.

Fred
Florida, USA

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

#12. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 11

Thu 19-Sep-13 05:38 PM

Most excellent point. I had for gotten about that issue!

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

billg71

Acworth, GA, US
1484 posts

#13. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 4

billg71 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2006
Thu 19-Sep-13 09:19 PM

Alicia,

I've bought used glass from KEH multiple times, never had a problem. That said, glass is glass, bodies are a different story. While I've never heard of anyone having a customer service problem with them I'd suggest due diligence and a careful review of their return policy.

As someone mentioned, you might get a body with the left-AF issue, I'm sure they would take a return but you have to consider if you want to risk the time and effort involved.

I'd be more inclined to just check up on the Nikon Store Outlet and buy refurbished. They don't show any in stock right now but if you make a daily routine of checking early in the morning one will show up sooner or later. There you can save $400 off the Amazon price and have an assurance the camera was at least thoroughly checked out and repaired/adjusted.

Personally, I'd pony up the $300 and buy new, that 10% you save up front might turn around and bite you if a major subsystem goes toes up 9 months down the road. I've only bought one used camera and that was from a close friend. God only knows what you'll get from a dealer, it might be a great body from someone who used it lightly or it could be someone's problem they were glad to dump off at a loss.

BTW, don't give up on the D400: I predict an announcement on October 21, a day after the return period expires on the D7100 I ordered yesterday from Amazon.

Best of luck whichever way you go. The D800 is a great camera, wouldn't trade mine for the world! (OK, maybe I exaggerate)

Bill

Georgia Nature Photographers Association

Click on image to view larger version

sevtcard

US
332 posts

#14. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009
Thu 19-Sep-13 11:58 PM

bought a Nikon refurbished d800 (the only way i'd buy a used camera) in March or April from Adorama...no left sided focus issue, unbelievable camera and excellent $$ value (also bought a refurbished 24-70 f2.8 which almost never leaves the camera)....all great values, though with limited warranties....if you've gotten this far in your thinking, take the plunge based upon your wallet and comfort level....i've not regretted mine...
mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#15. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Fri 20-Sep-13 10:34 AM

I sold a D800 on eBay five months after I bought it. It had about 10,000 actuations, but appeared like new. I sold it because I decided to switch to a D800e.

The buyer was perfectly happy with the camera when he received it...and he is a pro shooter in NYC. I had had the left side AF issue fixed by Nikon while I owned it.

You can get good gear on eBay, but the risk is higher than buying a Nikon refurbished unit. One person's definition of "mint" may not be the same as yours.

I bought a 70-180mm micro on eBay six months ago. It was described by the seller as mint condition. When I received it, it did look mint. However, within a few months I noticed the zoom was getting less than smooth. I finally sent it in to Nikon for a cleanup/tuneup. It now works perfectly, but it did cost me $275 to get there.

Based on this experience and having bought a refurbished D300 from Adorama at one point (it was like a new camera), I agree with others here. I would only buy a refurbished unit if I was going to buy used to reduce the risks.

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

Ineluki

Nuremberg, DE
5402 posts

#16. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011
Fri 20-Sep-13 10:42 AM

Hi Alicia,

Nikon shop offers a refurbished D 800 for $2,399.96.

Just a thought.

Egbert

Egbert

www.allmondo.com

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

#17. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 16

Fri 20-Sep-13 10:49 AM

Thanks. I saw that. Too bad they are out of stock. I will keep my eye on the site

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3326 posts

#18. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 17

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Fri 20-Sep-13 09:09 PM

Caution: I looked at a refurb lens on the Nikon Store site. On the surface it looked like a good buy -- until at check out they started adding sales tax and shipping. You can skirt both by buying new from a reputable online source -- B&H, Adorama, etc. Based on the known issues with the D800/E family (focus issues) and cost, I bought tow of them new, with extended Nikon warranties. The $2700 cost is just too much to take too many risks on, and I now have 3 years of Nikon guarantees. Maybe I'm paranoid -- but that's just me.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

#19. "RE: New vs Used D800?" | In response to Reply # 18

Fri 20-Sep-13 09:58 PM

That's good additional tips. Thanks. I will see what kind of holiday deals pop up

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

G