Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
byvini

UK
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Mon 16-Sep-13 03:43 PM

Hello guys,

I tried something different this weekend and I am trying to understand what went wrong.
I was playing around with the filters and I stacked a 10IR PRO (Format-Hitech) with a 0.3 and 0.6 ND from LEE.
The result was very near to what I was expecting.
However, you will notice that that the top left part of the image was full of sort of circular dots.
I am aware that shooting at f22 (i was using 16-35 f4) will bring every single dust in the sensor, but I am intrigued by those circular spots. The sensor was cleaned recently so I am not sure what is that and what could have possibly have caused the issue.
My filters are kept in a clean pouch and I also clean the filter after usage, specially on the beach. I also checked the lenses and it was perfectly clean. It wasn't raining, just a bit "beach fog".

Please see the image below.

Click on image to view larger version

what could possibly have caused the issue?
I know I can try and fix it in photoshop, just trying to avoid it next shooting.

Many thanks
byVini

byVini photography

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#1. "RE: D800 stack filters" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Mon 16-Sep-13 03:36 PM

Possibly reflections between the surfaces of the filters?
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5696 posts

#2. "RE: D800 stack filters" | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 16-Sep-13 07:56 PM

Reflections would be my guess as well. That's a lot of lens surfaces (were they all multi-coated?) not to have some impact. I wouldn't expect dust on the objective end to be very visible (it might reduce contrast), but at F22 you've got all sorts of strange things happening where small areas of dirt or defects can show up.

There also seems to be a couple of arcs that are in that corner as well, were they really in the sky? Or is that part of the problem?

Is it possible these were really part of the sky? That's a long exposure, right?

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://www.captivephotons.com

blw

Richmond, US
28552 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: D800 stack filters" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 16-Sep-13 08:18 PM

Are those dots in this image? I don't see them. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5696 posts

#4. "RE: D800 stack filters" | In response to Reply # 3

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 16-Sep-13 08:20 PM

>Are those dots in this image? I don't see them. Maybe I'm
>looking for the wrong thing?

Think patterns in the clouds not spots.

Linwood

byvini

UK
28 posts

#5. "RE: D800 stack filters" | In response to Reply # 2

byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Mon 16-Sep-13 11:32 PM

Linwood,

Reflection were also my first thought. it might be that 3 filters can cause it, I really don't know. Also, they are different manufactures so they use different material etc. They are not coated. And the circles are not patterns in the sky because this is a long exposure shot (about two minutes something)
it is a shame honestly, I quite like the shot.

byVini photography

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5696 posts

#6. "RE: D800 stack filters" | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 17-Sep-13 12:57 AM

>Linwood,
>
>Reflection were also my first thought. it might be that 3
>filters can cause it, I really don't know. Also, they are
>different manufactures so they use different material etc.
>They are not coated. And the circles are not patterns in the
>sky because this is a long exposure shot (about two minutes
>something)
>it is a shame honestly, I quite like the shot.

Look at the structure (for want of a better word) at about the 10 oclock position just off that hatch on the left. It's not completely unlike some of the structures on the top left. I wonder if it's not cloud motion/formation in higher or lower levels that just happened to look like bubbles/reflections?

Did you have other similar shots with similar problems in the top left (or in one area)?

Linwood

G