Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
kamputty

Santa Cruz, US
197 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kamputty Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Mon 16-Sep-13 02:00 AM

A good friend of mine showed up at my place yesterday with his wife and a bottle of wine for an evening of just hanging out. All was going well until he said, "oh, I got a new lens"...really I said, as he brought in his new 800mm f5.6(?) with 1.2 extender for a total of 1000mm/f7!

Holy heck! That is a big freaking lens!

So today we went out to a local wildlife area to photo birds, otters etc.

I connected the lens to my 800 and went shooting!

Things I learnt today.

- this is a heavy setup
- use a mono pod
- use a tripod even better
- use a ballhead to allow for movement/adjustment. I ended up taking a serious of pelican photos going straight to diagonal as the monopod would not "move"
- use the fasted shutter you can use, I ended up using 1/4000+ for sharper images.
- shallow dof.
- beautiful photos, clear, sharp, crisp, really nice
- YOU NEED A TRIPOD TO KEEP THIS BOY SOLID
- focus speed on the 800e was good at f7.1

Truth be told, I was underwhelmed with the end photo in regards to sharpness. But that I 100% attribute to shake due to to slow a shutter as the best we had was a monopod.

So the next time I take this bad boy out, it's going to be on a tripod with my rss bh-55 ballhead. That should really help. Also use the fastest shutter/ISO combo. But no matter what, use a solid tripod etc. to dampen shake as much as possible. At 1000mm, every movement shakes the lens.

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's so large with the hood on, that when the wind blew, it acted like a sail and moved me! Its a large long heavy lens.

But what a range! How cool that I have access to a $18,000 (!!!!!!!) lens!

Woot woot!

Kam

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#1. "RE: 800 w/800" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 16-Sep-13 05:43 AM

Very nice, hope you get access to it often. When you get tired of "only" 1000mm" you can mount it on a V1 with F mount adaptor and get 2700mm! field of view.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#2. "RE: 800 w/800" | In response to Reply # 0

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Mon 16-Sep-13 11:34 PM

Kam,
Thanks for sharing that. That must have been fun. And he brought the wine too!! I need a friend like that!

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA
My Nikonians gallery, or visit www.AlternateViewsPhotography.com .

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

MEMcD

US
31276 posts

#3. "RE: 800 w/800" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 17-Sep-13 09:44 AM

Hi Kam,

Shooing at 800-1000mm a Wimberley or RRS Gimbal head on a set of Gitzo 5 series legs is the preferred support system for birds.

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#4. "RE: 800 w/800" | In response to Reply # 3

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Tue 17-Sep-13 12:51 PM

I actually go a step further. When mounting a lens on a tripod, if it has a tripod mount it gets mounted on my Wimberley gimbal and Gitzo. That includes lenses like the AFS 70-200mm f2.8. I might make an exception like when using the 200mm f4 micro in the field.

Len

G