Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
malsalah

Dearborn Heights, US
58 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
malsalah Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2009
Sun 15-Sep-13 05:00 AM

Hello Nikonians...trying to decide which camera to get the D600 or D800...like the D800 but not sure about the 36 MP.I shoot weddings and currently use the D700...what is your recommendation. I rented the D800 and used it today on a wedding, I knida like it but again I think the 36 MP is and over kill for shooting weddings. Any input why should I get the D800??

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Fabien65

FR
144 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 0

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012
Sun 15-Sep-13 04:52 AM | edited Sun 15-Sep-13 04:54 AM by Fabien65

Hi,

Beyond pure technical criteria.., the handling?, the larger viewfinder? ( I wear glasses, so this last point is very important for me)
Fabien.

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
574 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 0

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Sun 15-Sep-13 05:20 AM

I own only the d800e which may anyway not be the first choice for wedding photography as it might produce in adverse circumstances some moire on the bride's dress...
However, I do think the d600 is also an excellent camera, 24mp is also very much, no other camera except the d800 and medium format has more, so if you are not certain about the d800, there is no reason for spending the additional amount of money. In action shoots you might even welcome the slightly higher burst rate.

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukaswerth/

also see my Nikonians gallery:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/member.php/uid/444897

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 0

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Sun 15-Sep-13 06:17 AM

If you have the D700, you will be frustrated with the D600's controls.

The reason I love my D700 vs my D7K is the ability to quickly change all my setting from the top of the camera.

The grip and feel are also different...not bad, just different....

If I was going for a new camera, it would be a D800 vs. D600, only for the reason of the controls on the top left vs dropping the camera forward and moving through a menu.

Again, just personal opinion on that aspect..

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

davepmyoung

Robertsbridge, UK
62 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 1

davepmyoung Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2008
Sun 15-Sep-13 09:48 AM

The D800 is all metal and very tough being a "pro" spec camera. The D600 although very good is a domestic camera for the serious enthusiast with the middle section made of plastic.

Performance wise the D800 will blow your sock off. Amazing detail with the ability to crop and still have fine detail. A bit memory card hungry, although that will stop you just keeping the finger on the button. 4fps is totally adequate for most people and it will take a 30min HD movie too.

JonK

New York, US
6328 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sun 15-Sep-13 09:53 AM

36 MP is probably overkill for most use — and I've made my D800e my go-to camera for almost everything. The advantage of those 36 MP is the ability to crop in post. You gain some creativity; the ability to save some lens changes and the need to shoot a scene twice (at two focal lengths); and, of course, probably the best RAW capture available today.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

malsalah

Dearborn Heights, US
58 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 15-Sep-13 03:17 PM

Is there a way in the setting to change to shoot at a reduced mega pixel in raw mode. for example switch back to 24 mp in raw mode?

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 6

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Sun 15-Sep-13 04:09 PM

No. Only in jpeg.

I love all the detail that those 36 Mp give but in a lot of shots you just don't need all of them.

Visit

davepmyoung

Robertsbridge, UK
62 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 6

davepmyoung Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2008
Sun 15-Sep-13 04:16 PM

switch to dx mode!

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 8

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Sun 15-Sep-13 06:21 PM | edited Sun 15-Sep-13 06:22 PM by JPJ

This is not quite the same as it actually applies a 1.5x crop factor to your field of view, not good if you are trying to take large group shots as your ultra wide angle is now not so wide.

I think either camera is great for photographing weddings. The megapixel fear for the D800(e) is only warranted in my opinion IF you have out of date computer equipment - as it will make post processing slow.

The advantage to all those MPs is the increased ability to down sample your images if you don't need 20x30 inch prints. This will result in photos which appear sharper and with less noise without actually having to apply sharpening and/or noise reduction. In this way you are never wasting megapixels in my opinion and you get a bit of a low light boost.

Jason

malsalah

Dearborn Heights, US
58 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 15-Sep-13 10:15 PM

Thank you All for the responses. Much appreciated.

drakonian

voorhees, US
101 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 10

drakonian Registered since 18th Jul 2013
Mon 16-Sep-13 03:34 AM

Why buy A D610 knowing that there is a known well established problem. Even if yours is "clean" the resale value has suffered.
The rumors are strong for a new D610 coming out prior to the PDN photoplus expo in October. Well worth the wait but what will the cost be. The D800 and Nikon lens combo are now on sale. Might be the way to go.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#12. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 11

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 16-Sep-13 05:11 AM

Sonia, did you have a problem with your D600 or are you going by the internet noise machine? Reports of newer units having a dust problem has essentially vanished.

My own take on it is that the D600 and D800, are going to be interchangeable in wedding service, the two best IQ cameras in the DSLR format, with excellent DR and low noise at higher ISO in dim light.
The controls on the D600 are closer to the D7000/D7100 than D700 but it is far better for image quality than a D700.
I shoot a D800 and D7000 and switch back and forth without the confusion some people say prevents them from considering newer models.
File size is a consideration, but newer computers handle them with ease. Be sure to have a USB3 interface for connected a modern CF/SD reader or transfers can be slow. I doubt I have read of one person who thought the 40mb files in RAW were as much a problem as the rumors claimed before the camera was in general release.
I would suggest renting the D600 since you already have used the D800.
See if the lower price and lighter body is suitable for your style of work. I doubt there is any difference in reliability or ruggedness in actual use, modern non-metal housings are very rugged, ask any F1 driver. There has been no rash of cameras failing due to drops or bangs, but a drop on a hard surface will damage a D800 just as surely as a lighter body, and more so than very light bodies. The camera I have that has taken the most abuse, and has by far the most clicks is a D90 that is likely to be able to survive a fall better than my D800. In fact it has fallen a few times while climging rocks and the only dmage was a 18-105 rear plastic flange broke. If I had a pro lens on it, with a rigid mount, both would have been damaged.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

NRandall

Geelong area, AU
1604 posts

#13. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 12

NRandall Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, specially in Landscape Photography Nikonian since 12th Sep 2013
Mon 16-Sep-13 10:12 AM

>Sonia, did you have a problem with your D600 or are you going
>by the internet noise machine? Reports of newer units having a
>dust problem has essentially vanished.
>
Actually not, I just sent a brand new D600 back to my retailer for dust/oil on sensor straight out of the box. We are going to the D800 as a replacement next week.

Nikonians Team Member

The eye sees what it wants to see and the camera sees the rest.

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/513365/cat/500

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#14. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 13

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 16-Sep-13 11:13 AM

For anyone interested, Nicholas posted a couple of examples from his D600, showing what seems to be a couple of dust spots, in this thread. We probably don't need to get into that debate again here

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

drakonian

voorhees, US
101 posts

#15. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 12

drakonian Registered since 18th Jul 2013
Mon 16-Sep-13 11:27 AM

>Sonia, did you have a problem with your D600 or are you going
>by the internet noise machine? Reports of newer units having a
>dust problem has essentially vanished.
>

Hello Stan
I do not understand the mindset of photographers. Can you please tell me of one other product that cost $2,000+ and the manufacturer refuses to take outright responsibility and the purchasers take it with a grain of salt.
I do agree that it does not effect every D600 manufactured, but why take a chance.

iunlock

New Iberia, US
47 posts

#16. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 0

iunlock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2012
Mon 16-Sep-13 07:48 PM

As a former D700 user, I struggled with the same question until I read this review by Thom.

http://bythom.com/nikond600review.htm

As for the 36MP wedding. If you drop down to the 30X20 image area it will give you 25MP images. I only use the 36X24 image area for landscapes. This is the main reason why I love the D800, it literally is like 4 cameras in one body. Cropping down to smaller image area size still allows you to have plenty of megapixels to work with.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#17. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 15

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 16-Sep-13 09:05 PM

The manufacturer does take responsibility in that if there is a problem covered under warranty they encourage the owner to send it in and they will take care of it.
Another product with problems? Well, how about every car every sold?
According to Consumer reports the average new car has 97 factory defects some better some worse but regardless, the D600 is a much more modest investment than a new car yet it does not stop people from liking both.
Going in another direction, consider the statistic that 18% of hospital medications administrations, are wrong, wrong medication, wrong dosage or wrong patient. You will have to admit that a hospital stay is a lot more expensive than a new care and mistakes can be more serious, yet people still go to hospitals.

The fact is, the issue with dirt accumulating on the sensor, has been blown up as being more serious than either car defects or medication mistakes by people who are having trouble putting it into perspective of how many are not having the problem and how many of all cameras accumulate dirt but few people shoot at f/22 and boost contrast 200% searching for specks. All sensors are dirty, all the time, they are not sealed in an cleanroom and are frequently in air that, when left to its own devices, deposits dust on every surface it touches.

You are truly lucky to never need to dust a shelf or windowsill but that is the same dust that the camera lives in. Ever shoot microcroscopy? The toughest challenge is to clear the area in the frame so as to not look like a trash heap. Dust is not normally seen because it is too small to see by the unaided eye but we swim in a sea of fine particles, spores, residue from atmospheric pollution etc. Many of the reports and sample photos were not unusual except that the shooter never shot f/22 a solid color wall before or boosted contrast to extremes before.
If you do not like the camera, but why keep repeating the same stories and worry users who are enjoying their camera. Maybe they should start posting about how many problems, real or imagined that your car has, despite not ever having one either. You do not have a D600(or any camera) listed in your profile so can we assume you do not have the camera and do not have the problem you are calling out?

To further put into a different frame of thinking, which cameras did not have some basic issue when first released? Any brand. The D90 was probably the only digital camera I have ever heard of that did not need firmware updates.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13632 posts

#18. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 6

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Mon 16-Sep-13 09:47 PM

Yes, 1.2 crop mode shoots about 24 mp in RAW.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#19. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 15

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Mon 16-Sep-13 10:53 PM

Every Land Rover ever produced.

>Hello Stan
>I do not understand the mindset of photographers. Can you
>please tell me of one other product that cost $2,000+ and the
>manufacturer refuses to take outright responsibility and the
>purchasers take it with a grain of salt.
>I do agree that it does not effect every D600 manufactured,
>but why take a chance.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#20. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Mon 16-Sep-13 11:34 PM

Another consideration -- while I love both of my D800s, I saw a report that Nikon has allowed dealers to set lower prices on the D600 and D5100 -- probably to get rid of inventory before replacement machines arrive on the scene. So prices of D600s could get pretty enticing. I'd still opt for the D800, but...$$$?

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Stradman

Mertztown, US
23 posts

#21. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 20

Stradman Registered since 17th Nov 2012
Tue 17-Sep-13 12:36 AM

As with any large purchase if the decision is between two items always do the six month test.Six months from now am I gonna wish I had got the other one?
I've had my d800 for about 6 months now and no regrets, just superb function.

timpsm

Salt Spring Island, CA
416 posts

#22. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 15

timpsm Registered since 17th Sep 2010
Tue 17-Sep-13 04:41 AM

> Can you please tell me of one other product that cost $2,000+

Our new stove, well over $2k, actually D4-price territory, and needed a field visit by a technician to replace a gas valve. The technician makes his living fixing appliances in the $2-10k range from 8 to 10 manufacturers . . . they all have manufacturing defects in some percentage of their production, as do all the camera manufacturers.

(of course that didn't stop us from being annoyed that our stove needed fixing, or being impatient while a part had to be shipped in before the stove could be fixed)

tim

billg71

Acworth, GA, US
1484 posts

#23. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 15

billg71 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2006
Tue 17-Sep-13 10:25 PM | edited Wed 18-Sep-13 06:59 AM by billg71

"Can you please tell me of one other product that cost $2,000+ and the manufacturer refuses to take outright responsibility and the purchasers take it with a grain of salt.

"Every Land Rover ever produced."

Not just Land Rovers, just about any car sold on the market today. Or any piece of expensive consumer electronics you can buy.

Sadly, it seems to be the norm in manufacturing these days: Rush to get a product to market, cram in a new feature set that can be marketed to the high heavens whether or not it's ready for release and fix it at leisure with your understaffed support structure as the complaints come in.

Then release next year's product with the same mindset and stop supporting the one you just sold. After all, it's last year's model, a manufacturer can't be expected to support outdated products, right?

If it's a safety issue like a car that won't stop or a coffeemaker that sets your house afire, you might get lucky and the government will step in and force a recall. Anything less and you're most likely on your own.

Bill

Georgia Nature Photographers Association

Click on image to view larger version

thesteviewonder

Victoria, CA
24 posts

#25. "RE: D800 Vs. D600" | In response to Reply # 0

thesteviewonder Registered since 22nd Aug 2013
Thu 17-Oct-13 01:44 AM

The D600 (which appears to have now been replaced by the D610) is essentially a D7000 with a full sensor. It will only automatically bracket 3 shots whereas the D800 will do 7; there is no histogram in Live View on the D600 while not only do you get that with the D800 but even my Panasonic Lumix LX-5 provides that for a few hundred dollars. No contest between the two.

G