Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 purchase question

drakonian

voorhees, US
101 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drakonian Registered since 18th Jul 2013
Wed 11-Sep-13 02:52 PM

Recently retired, have been shooting with D90 for the past 3 years. Looking to go to full frame, just sold my little sports car so I can go up to $5k. Want to stay with Nikon brand lenses for full frame- resale purpose.
I have the sigma 8-16 & 17-50(dx). Nikon lenses 35 f1.8, 18-105, 70-300VR(fx). I shoot everything with a lot of different camera clubs/meet-up groups and have 10 grandchildren aged 2 to 12. You can see some of my pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/52333300@N05/
My question is I enjoy my sigma 8-16, most shoots I go out with my 17-50 which is always on my camera and my 8-16. Plan to use my 8-16 in DX mode. How much quality would I lose with the 8-16 lens on a D600 and D800 as compared to my D90. Plan on also using my 70-300vr in dx mode to get the extra reach for kids sports.
I have printed up to 20x24 in metallic finish and would like to go bigger.
Looking to go with D800 and Nikon 24-70 f2.8. currently $200 off each at B&H.
PS: I enjoy post processing, have photoshop cs4. lightroom, topaz, photomatix and silver efex. will have to upgrade computer with either d600 or d800.
Will be in and out today so I apologize if I don't get back to you in a timely manner. Thank you. Mike

gus_goose

CA
282 posts

#1. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 0

gus_goose Registered since 09th Nov 2005
Wed 11-Sep-13 01:52 PM | edited Wed 11-Sep-13 01:54 PM by gus_goose

You should read through this thread: Help with Stepping Up To Full Frame fron D7000, and then follow all the (sometimes conflicting) advice

Edit: Note to moderators, maybe there should be a forum section (Cafe?) for "Retired with D800" people

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tekneektom

Kohler, US
2003 posts

#2. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 0

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011
Wed 11-Sep-13 01:58 PM

Mike,

I upgraded to D800 a year ago from D7000. I had a Sigma 8-16 and loved it. The 8-16 produced very nice results on the D800 - it was tack sharp. However, I made a commitment to prime lenses and have since sold my 8-16 and now have just 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm. I also have Sigma 17-70 but want to sell it. In your search for lenses you might go to the DxO site as they have done considerable testing of lenses with the D800. Go to http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Reviews/Which-lenses-for-your-Nikon-D800/Nikon-D800-and-standard-lens-choices

Have a great time with the D800. I love mine!

Tom

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#3. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Wed 11-Sep-13 01:59 PM

In DX crop mode the D600 becomes a 10.3 MP DX camera, the D800 a 15.4 MP. I don't think you'll see a degradation with the D600 and the D800 should be an improvement.

But don't fool yourself with DX crop mode on an FX camera. You will not get more reach. The only thing DX mode does is crop the photo, the same way you would crop in software.

Len

drakonian

voorhees, US
101 posts

#4. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 2

Wed 11-Sep-13 02:19 PM

Thanks for your advice but I cannot give up my 8-16.

Mike

drakonian

voorhees, US
101 posts

#5. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 11-Sep-13 02:27 PM

>In DX crop mode the D600 becomes a 10.3 MP DX camera, the
>D800 a 15.4 MP. I don't think you'll see a degradation with
>the D600 and the D800 should be an improvement.
>
>But don't fool yourself with DX crop mode on an FX camera. You
>will not get more reach. The only thing DX mode does is crop
>the photo, the same way you would crop in software.
>
>Len
>
>
Thanks Len, If I am correct what I meant was that my 70-300vr on my D90 gives me approx. 105-450. when used on a D800 in fx its a true 70-300, when in DX it still gives me the same size picture as my D90 with more MP.
Thanks, Mike

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#6. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 3

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Wed 11-Sep-13 02:31 PM

The only real difference is what you see in the viewfinder. A DX camera will shows you the whole (or close to the whole depending on the camera) field of view that will be captured and nothing else - it will be bigger and therefore easier to see. On an FX camera in DX crop mode you will see a box in the viewfinder that outlines the area that will be captured and the area outside the box that will not - the central area that will be captured will appear smaller and perhaps harder to see in some cases.

In both cases there is a 1.5x crop factor engaged and you end up with an image that contains a field of view of 1.5 x focal length.

Jason

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#7. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 0

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Wed 11-Sep-13 11:19 PM

Mike,
Great choice to go the a D800 - you will be so glad you did.

The D800, in DX mode with a DX lens, will unquestionably out perform a D90 with the same lens in every way. If you want to keep using your DX lenses - that's great. Compared to the results from a D90 camera, you can't go wrong with all of your current lenses.

However, understand that that all DX lenses project a smaller image onto the image sensor than an FX lens. This reduced image does even not cover the whole FX sensor. When you put the D800 in DX mode, it will only look at a reduced area of the sensor that matches the DX lens. The data from those pixels that surround the reduced area of the FX sensor are simply not recorded.

In contrast, an FX lens projects the image over the entire sensor, taking advantage of every pixel, giving you the full resolution the D800 has to offer. You can take a full FX frame image, crop out of it any number of DX images, and not loose any resolution of what you would have captured had you originally shot them in DX mode. The cropped DX images will have the appearance of having been zoomed in on part of the larger FX image, but in fact all you did was crop out the extra pixels.

But what is most important is that you get the D800 and enjoy it, whatever mode you want to shoot in!! The D800 produces the best FX and DX images out there. Have fun!!

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA
My Nikonians gallery, or visit www.AlternateViewsPhotography.com .

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

f5titan

HILO, US
1050 posts

#8. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 0

f5titan Platinum Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006
Thu 12-Sep-13 09:06 AM

When I went FX with the D700 and later to the D800 I did not want to give up my three DX lenses either so I kept a D70 and began to build my FX lens kit for my D700 and D800. So you could possibly keep your D90 and start building your D800 FX system.
See my Flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/yosemitead19 for my DX and FX imaging.

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2670 posts

#9. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Thu 12-Sep-13 01:51 PM

If you acquire a D800, I predict your D90 plus your dx lenses will be just sitting on the shelf, gathering dust and depreciating. With a D800, 24-70/2.8 and 70-300 you have almost all you need. If you add a wide angle zoom, 16-35/4 or even better 14-24/2.8,you can relax and enjoy your retirement for the next ten years...

Tristan

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#10. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Thu 12-Sep-13 02:11 PM

Your D90 has a 12Mp DX sensor.

Using the D800 in DX mode will give about 15.5Mp so slightly more resolution than D90. However, the high ISO noise is substantially less and the dynamic range is more...so it will be a noticeable improvement.

Using the D600 in DX mode will give about 10Mp, so less resolution but with same ISO and dynamic range advantages as D800. the controls and menu system on D600 is an evolution of the D90 design so you will make the switch more easily but if you want to routinely use DX lenses then the D800 is a better choice.

It really is a bit of a waste to throw all those pixels away by shooting in DX so either make a commitment to buying some nice wide FX glass or stay with a DX camera such as D7100 which gives you 24MP on DX and a decent high ISO noise advantage over the D90.

Visit

drakonian

voorhees, US
101 posts

#11. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 12-Sep-13 06:30 PM

>Your D90 has a 12Mp DX sensor.
>
>Using the D800 in DX mode will give about 15.5Mp so slightly
>more resolution than D90. However, the high ISO noise is
>substantially less and the dynamic range is more...so it will
>be a noticeable improvement.
>
>Using the D600 in DX mode will give about 10Mp, so less
>resolution but with same ISO and dynamic range advantages as
>D800. the controls and menu system on D600 is an evolution of
>the D90 design so you will make the switch more easily but if
>you want to routinely use DX lenses then the D800 is a better
>choice.
>
>It really is a bit of a waste to throw all those pixels away
>by shooting in DX so either make a commitment to buying some
>nice wide FX glass or stay with a DX camera such as D7100
>which gives you 24MP on DX and a decent high ISO noise
>advantage over the D90.

With fx I will be covered from 24(24-70)to 300(70-300vr). I plan on shooting 8-16 in dx mode. Also on occasion my 70-300. When i purchased my camera 3 years ago, everyone said go with a D90, get experience and than move up. If I purchased a D700 back then I would already have been set up now. I now have these DX lenses and camera that have depreciated and will lose about $1,100 in selling them. And I do feel that as a photographer I have exceeded the capabilites of my D90. When every is still shooting with their full frame, i am putting my camera away or try to go for black & white conversation.
I am extremly fortunate that I can afford it(afer selling my 52 mgtd). At my age 66 might as well go for the best.

f5titan

HILO, US
1050 posts

#12. "RE: D800 purchase question" | In response to Reply # 11

f5titan Platinum Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006
Thu 12-Sep-13 09:17 PM

Go for the best my friend!

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

G