Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Personal reasons to buy a D800

dglas_1

Spokane, US
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dglas_1 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2007
Mon 09-Sep-13 09:22 PM

There are many reasons why hobbyists buy the D800. My reason is simply my age. At 84 it is ‘if not now when’. I welcome the challenge to see if I can achieve a decent level of proficiency with such a great camera. I have researched enough to be aware of the tough road ahead. I ordered the camera with the 70-200 F4 lens and have some lenses from film days including a nikon 85mm. The film days were with my F4 HP which I still have but at my advanced age I should probably sell. Might not be worth much anymore but it was/is a wonderful camera. I still have a Bogen 3221 tripod I used with the F4 that I hope will work with the D800. I am presently using a Gitzo 1258 that I used with the D80 and still use with the D300 . It is pretty stable especially if I hang a little weight on it but is probably a little light for the D800. I intend to buy more glass when I can. Probably next will be the 16-35. I am also aware that I may have to get a new computer but will wait and see. I intend to keep my D300 and lenses for a while to see how things go.

It is the journey that counts.

Douglas

tekneektom

Kohler, US
2003 posts

#1. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011
Mon 09-Sep-13 07:43 PM

Douglas,

You're going to love the D800, it's a fine camera. And, I suspect you've got enough free time to really learn the camera and get the most out of it.

Have a great journey.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60239 posts

#2. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Mon 09-Sep-13 08:06 PM

Enjoy your new camera, Douglas

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

nickphoto

Saratoga Springs, US
68 posts

#3. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 2

nickphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2013
Mon 09-Sep-13 09:01 PM

I wish you all the best with your new camera, Douglas! Enjoy it in good health.

Nick

Nick Schmidt
http://nickschmidt.photoshelter.com/

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#4. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Mon 09-Sep-13 10:40 PM

Way to go Douglas! You made a great decision, and I know you are going to be glad you did. I would encourage you not to apply labels to yourself or how you see your proficiency, but rather see this camera as a vehicle to having fun. I hope you really enjoy your D800, keep photography fun, and keep on playing!!

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA
My Nikonians gallery, or visit www.AlternateViewsPhotography.com .

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#5. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Tue 10-Sep-13 12:29 AM

All the best with the new cam Douglas, keep us posted when it comes in and your impressions!

On the computer side, I think my own experience and what I hear from others is having enough RAM is a key. 16 gigabytes is good. I actually don't find all that much of a diff processing 36 megapixels from my 12 and 16 megapixel cameras. I think bulk operations are slower, but I usually do something else when I'm running a bulk operation anyways, so it doesn't bother me. It is the journey that counts

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

dglas_1

Spokane, US
354 posts

#6. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 10-Sep-13 01:03 AM

Thanks guys for all for kind wishes. Camera shipped today. I will try to post accounts of the journey from time to time. Hopefully with an occasional photo.

Regards,

Douglas

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#7. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 10-Sep-13 05:52 PM

Douglas - You will be amazed with your new D800. And as has been advised, don't label yourself as old. I'm a little behind you, but not all that much in this day and age. Especially coming from a DX format, prepare to be absolutely blown away by resolution, shadow detail (especially if you shoot RAW) and just an overall sense of WOW! Your decision-making skills obviously are just fine too!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

FFN

Hudson, US
1196 posts

#8. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 6

FFN Gold Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Tue 10-Sep-13 08:47 PM

Congratulations on the new D800. Enjoy it in good health.

Visit JamesDane.Com.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9047 posts

#9. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Tue 10-Sep-13 10:05 PM | edited Tue 10-Sep-13 10:05 PM by ScottChapin

Have fun and enjoy, which I am sure you will! Keep the F4 HP. That comment comes from a pack rat that cannot find the heart to part with anything. I always figure that I cannot get what it's worth, at least not to me.

Want to buy a German Kodak Retina IIIC?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
574 posts

#10. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Wed 11-Sep-13 03:07 AM

The road may be not quite so tough since you already have a d300. For me, the d800e was my first DSLR - and I sometimes find myself fiddling with issues like long exposure noise reduction which for others is a regular feature they know from their prior cameras.
I would say, even if you treat the d800 like your d300, the pictures will have an improved technical quality - not only with regard to details, but also the dynamic range! And if you are going to carefully use that wonderful tripod of yours - well, I would like to see some pictures when they come along. Have a good intellectual journey with this camera.

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukaswerth/

also see my Nikonians gallery:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/member.php/uid/444897

jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX
38694 posts

#11. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Wed 11-Sep-13 03:37 AM

Congratulations, Douglas.
A very amazing camera that you will cherish; and if you run into any problem, we are here.

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#12. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 11

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Thu 12-Sep-13 10:59 PM

Enjoy the D800, I am in love with mine. I hope you get to use it till its as obsolete as the F4!

Bushido7100

US
51 posts

#13. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 12

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013
Thu 12-Sep-13 11:12 PM

Congratulations Douglas on the new D800. Enjoy it in good health!

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#14. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 13-Sep-13 10:26 AM

Have fun with you great new camera. I doubt you will have any problem since the controls and size, and features are not that much different than the D300.
One bit of initial advice, bump the shutter speed up more than you are used to with the D300 for hand held shots, all other factors are non-issues in making the transition. Many have mentioned the "wow" factor and if seen on a modern bright hi res monitor or printed large or on one of those Retina display iPads, there is no other word of it other than Wow. Every subsystem is more intelligent, better and easier to use.
If you, like all of us, get the urge to zoom in to see the detail, remember that 100% view on the screen is much more magnification than on your D300 so some are disappointed in seeing more motion blur and loss of sharpness without realizing they are blowing it up much larger, seeing a much small part of the image than they are used to.
There is a sudden desire to blow every scene up to see what the license plate number is on that car 1.5 miles up the road says. Or reading menus from outdoor cafes down the street. And it works!
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Chez27

Houston, US
26 posts

#15. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Chez27 Registered since 26th Aug 2013
Fri 13-Sep-13 01:26 PM

Congratulations and good luck! You will enjoy the journey, and from what you've described, I believe you have a strong enough background to come to grips quickly.

http://echezona27.tumblr.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/echezona/

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?assettype=image&family=creative&artist=Echezona+Chike-Udenze#

dglas_1

Spokane, US
354 posts

#16. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 13-Sep-13 01:33 PM

Many thanks for advice, kind words, and encouragement. Camera due to arrive on coming Monday.

Regards,

Douglas

JCY88

US
193 posts

#17. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

JCY88 Registered since 24th Aug 2012
Tue 17-Sep-13 09:08 PM

Hi, Douglass,

Welcome to the D800 club. Your upgrade path is like mine and I still keep all those bodies. Why? You might ask. My answer to that is just like yours, although I am still catching up. Honestly, I only take out d800 nowadays. This body works well almost with any lens, DX, FX, WA, etc. due to its 36MP sensor. The opportunity to crop is endless. A new desktop pc is desirable with more than 12MB memory and 2 GB drive. Yes, a high speed Internet is a must if you share your photos. Enjoy!

Jim
www.macroXscape.com
Where miracles of art happen!

seres2

US
279 posts

#18. "RE: Personal reasons to buy a D800" | In response to Reply # 0

seres2 Registered since 12th Mar 2013
Tue 17-Sep-13 09:55 PM

I really admire your spirit, Douglas. After having learned on the full frame 35mm cameras, I found the smaller viewfinder of the cropped sensor D300 slightly difficult to use. Now I have the D800, and I've found it to be one of my favorite cameras. Good luck!

G