Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
awothers

Peterborough, CA
74 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
awothers Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2012
Sat 20-Jul-13 07:59 PM

I will be shooting grand children play hockey, soccer, basketball etc. I have the camera set to A priority(wide open) with auto ISO and min shutter=1/1000. My question is how does the D800 rate in terms of handling "noise" when the ISO gets set really high (e.g. > 3000). Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#1. "RE: D800-Noise" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sun 21-Jul-13 06:12 AM | edited Sun 21-Jul-13 06:14 AM by km6xz

What light levels are you reading in the venues these are played in? What lenses. For the speed of amateur sports, 1000 might be higher than needed but the D800 is quite capable, not a D4 but still excellent. If you expose well, and do not print too large for the ISO, 6400 ISO will be fine.
Here is a hand held shot in essentially unlit conditions, a pub where the interior lights went out and the only light was a street light down the street coming through the window. In life, I could not see her face but AF worked and this is what ISO 25,000 looked like:
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

awothers

Peterborough, CA
74 posts

#2. "RE: D800-Noise" | In response to Reply # 1

awothers Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2012
Sun 21-Jul-13 09:55 AM

WOW. I use Nikon 70-200 f2.8 & Nikon 24-70 f2.8. Lighting is not normally a problem outdoors but in local arenas and school gyms I am sure the ISO will creep up there. I am very encouraged by your comment and the example you posted. Thanks. Alan

Anothergo

Warrington, US
55 posts

#3. "RE: D800-Noise" | In response to Reply # 1

Anothergo Registered since 04th Dec 2012
Sun 21-Jul-13 01:19 PM | edited Sun 21-Jul-13 01:27 PM by Anothergo

Nice example Stan. What were your post noise settings? I have not seen anything like this from a D800 at the hi settings. I'll add that the pix I have shot at 25000 are unusable. My experience is with two D800's I was able to demo as well as my own D800.

JonK

New York, US
6320 posts

#4. "RE: D800-Noise" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sun 21-Jul-13 03:34 PM

A little noise in an image usually has a minuscule effect, and a lot of noise in an image is better than not capturing the image at all! Use the shutter speed and aperture you want or you need (those can be different) and let the ISO be determined accordingly. Get the shot, that's what is most important.

High ISO is not necessarily ugly, especially with a well-exposed and well-processed image. The D800 has excellent high-ISO performance and when necessary you should take advantage of this ability. I occasionally shoot off-Broadway theatre and use auto ISO; and depending on the (poor and uneven) lighting, images are frequently captured at ISO 3200 and 6400.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

D800e, 24-70mm f/2.8 at 50mm, ISO 6400, 1/90 sec at f/4

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Anothergo

Warrington, US
55 posts

#5. "RE: D800-Noise" | In response to Reply # 4

Anothergo Registered since 04th Dec 2012
Sun 21-Jul-13 04:52 PM

Agreed Jon. I will not hesitate to go to 3200. I do my best to avoid 6400, but that is not always possible. Getting the shot is the key, you are so right, and I have had very good results at 6400 with minimal PP. I have not been able to produce the apparent quality of Stan's work at 25600 ISO. That is a very nice capture.

piowoc

St. Louis, US
181 posts

#6. "RE: D800-Noise" | In response to Reply # 1

piowoc Registered since 06th Aug 2007
Sun 21-Jul-13 07:53 PM

Hi Stan,

why the EXIF data indicate ISO 3600 for this image? Have you changed it manually in post?

Regards,
Peter

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#7. "RE: D800-Noise" | In response to Reply # 6

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 23-Jul-13 04:50 AM | edited Tue 23-Jul-13 05:01 AM by km6xz

No change, it was saved in "saves for web on photoshop and shows no file information on mine. I used a photoshop plug in Nik DFine. There is no way that information is right, since the light conditions did not permit focusing with the 24-70 2.8 so I switched to 85 1.4 which I had borrowed for the day from Peter, a San Jose Nikonian. To get any detail, I had to boost exposure in LR4 by 2 stops.

Here is a shot taken in a dark cavity of the details of a cable car stop, taken with a D7000 and at 25,600 ISO using the same noise reduction techniques.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#8. "RE: D800-Noise" | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 23-Jul-13 05:39 AM | edited Tue 23-Jul-13 06:08 AM by km6xz

I seems that there is erroneous information embedded in file first posted, although my programs show that EXIF data was stripped out by PS to "Save to Web" to get it small enough to post. I looked for another one taken on the same trip that had intact EXIF data. Here is one taken a week later in Warsaw, in a Hardrock cafe of a young Pole who later joined my group table. Taken with 70-200 at 2.8.there is normal bar lighting, not great, taken at ISO 20,000 and left with no processing at all except to shrink a version to 800 pixels.

No NR or adjustments at all but it could have been a lot better if DFine 2 was applied. This one could use some sharpening and contrast adjustment but I left it as SOOC as an example of a starting point for post processing.
f/2.8, 150mm, RAW, ISO 20,000 1/320 sec,

My take on it is that if exposed well more salvageable images are possible than most people believe is possible at high ISO. Picking your subjects is a big factor. DR drops a lot as going higher in ISO so narrow DR scenes are much better represented in high ISO images. The top photo has blown highs but the rest of the scene and Tanya are in a narrow range of tone. Jon's stage shot is a harder image to capture with high ISO because of a wider tone range that challenges the diminished signal to noise ratio at higher ISO. A shot of that scene at 25k ISO would have been a real post processing challenge.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1761 posts

#9. "RE: D800-Noise" | In response to Reply # 0

PSAGuy Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008
Tue 23-Jul-13 01:32 PM

I shoot all hockey and basketball....over 100 games each season.
In most rinks you'll need to shoot at iso 3200 to get even the bare minimum high shutter speeds of 1/500. Remember also to bump UP your EV to +.7 or so.....the ice plays havoc with your exposure metering.
For hoops...most gyms are much darker than rinks, but the action is a bit slower (humans running instead of skating). You'll find that 3200-5000 iso is needed.

Good luck

G