Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Quick D800/D800E Question

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Wed 17-Jul-13 03:05 PM

Hi guys
Have always wondered, why the CF and SD card slots?
Is this just a design over site, like "didn't allow room for a second CF card"
Or, another reason?
I would have thought either/or would have been the best option as I think both are as fast as each other now?
....Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#1. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 17-Jul-13 01:14 PM

I'm not sure why they do that. They did it on the D300s, too.

Perhaps for the video shoots it allows better compatibility with computers and other features. SD card do seem to be less expensive and get higher capacity to market faster.

I don't find any noticeable difference in speed when shooting. I think the main difference is speed in reading the card and transferring the files to a computer using a card reader.

Many of us are conditioned to believe that CF cards constitute "Pro". I'm not sure it really matters anymore.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#2. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 1

glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Wed 17-Jul-13 10:11 PM

Hi Mick,
Looks like the jury is still out then, I think they also did this in the D300s
.....Gary

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#3. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 2

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Wed 17-Jul-13 10:26 PM

I think Mick hit on the main reasons. Video likes SD cards because of capacity and durability when transferring clips to a computer. The cards get removed very frequently and I don't think CF cards and all their delicate pins are conducive to that.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#4. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 2

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Thu 18-Jul-13 01:16 AM

Back when the D800 was rumored to have one CF and one SD, it was said to be a design limitation of space. There isn't enough room in these smaller bodies to put two CF card slots compared to Pro bodies. Now looking at the D800, I think it could have been done, but would have added 3-4mm of thickness to the body. May not have been a bad thing for those with bigger hands, but could have made it harder for people with smaller hands to hold.

I have heard good and bad about both card formats, but I feel it comes down to the user and how they treat their equipment. If you start to force a CF card in, you may bend a pin. On SD cards, the friction contacts may loosen up over time. But who knows if SD cards will take over in the future. I still think the XQD slot in the D4 is the better of the three. Smaller then CF but bigger the SD cards so it would make it easier to handle. They have fast speeds (Only getting started) and if Sandisk makes a Extreme Pro version, would be built well also, not saying the current ones on the market are not though.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#5. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 18-Jul-13 01:28 AM

Guess the "jury is still out on this one"
Interesting feedback,
May be more careful with my CF cards now
....Gary

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#6. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 5

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 19-Jul-13 05:14 AM

CF sockets take up a lot of room inside the camera so with such a packed-full body the space savings was probably an additional consideration. I use both but prefer SD due to being able to carry more of them, they are cheaper, I can download cards to my laptop SD slot and if a pin gets bent, the CF socket is a major camera tear-down to replace. I have had to replace CF sockets before in other equipment myself but parts were easier to get than from Nikon. I would rather lose a card due to damage than a socket.I have had 2 SD cards and 2 CF cards fail. Considerint they I have used 10 times as many SDs, for me, the reliability of SD has been superior. Transcend replaced both CFs but it was a hassle and lost a a day's shooting both times.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#7. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 19-Jul-13 06:18 AM

Hi Stan
Thank you. For your insight,
Throws a whole new perspective on the subject,
Starting to appear like the best option would have been 2 SD card slots?
....Gary

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#8. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 7

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Fri 19-Jul-13 11:56 AM | edited Fri 19-Jul-13 11:57 AM by RRRoger

I think they mix the cards on many new cameras to satisfy customer demands.
It is a lot easier transition when coming from a camera with either card.

As far as space in the camera goes, I dread the idea that we may be going to Micro SD cards.
They are hard to insert in a device and very easy to loose.
I would much prefer the new XQD cards.

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10633 posts

#9. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 19-Jul-13 01:03 PM

CF cards are substantially faster than SD cards, so there is a difference. This database from about a year ago had the fastest CF cards more than 50% faster than the fastest SD cards.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/camera_wb_multi_page9ec1.html?cid=6007-12451

CF cards are a little more durable by themselves as SD cards are quite thin. As Scott points out, there are things like video and WiFi where SD cards are preferred.

As commented by others, XQD is the next generation of CF card and it will deliver a lot more speed as it matures. The entry level XQD cards tested on the D4 delivered over 50% improvement in speed over the fastest CF card.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#10. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 8

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Fri 19-Jul-13 01:25 PM

Yea, I agree. Having the option to use one type or the other is not a bad thing.

And as a practical matter, the speed is more noticeable in reading the cards than writing them.

Face it, except for the junk ones, all cards are pretty reliable and fast, especially compared to what we had 5 or 6 years ago. It would be foolish to make a decision to buy or not buy a camera based on the memory card format. To me, card format is a trivial,non-issue.

XQD may be the wave of the future, but it isn't here yet.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

blw

Richmond, US
28704 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#11. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 9

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 19-Jul-13 07:27 PM

Eric is right on target. The fastest SD cards are limited by standard to less than current CF speeds, and XQD is faster yet. There will be plenty of churn in this space over the next few years.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#12. "RE: Quick D800/D800E Question" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 19-Jul-13 10:47 PM

Thank you for all the feedback guys,
Been a very informative read,
Regards
Gary

G