Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1766 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PSAGuy Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008
Tue 16-Jul-13 09:53 PM

I have rented a D800E to put it through it's paces and determine if this is the right second camera for me. I plan on looking at it's ability to do what it does reportedly very well...landscapes etc. I also plan on running it thru some high ISO / high shutter speed stuff in dimly lit gyms to see how it handles.

My question is this so I get a fair look.....When shooting landscapes for example, do you use the "Landscape" setting in the "Picture Control" menu. With most of my prior cameras (including my D3) I always use "Standard". Do most of you D800e users stay there or adjust this setting for specific types of shooting ??

Thanks in advance. Hope this camera works out well for me. I'd love to own one.

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 0

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2012
Tue 16-Jul-13 07:59 PM

I use Standard in every situation and post-process in Lightroom 5 where I can look at other Picture Control settings/results if I wish ...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 0

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 16-Jul-13 08:08 PM

Same with me.

Standard, then LR 5.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Rondo5570

San Diego, US
365 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 0

Rondo5570 Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 16-Jul-13 08:51 PM

If you are shooting in Raw, then leave it at standard and process to taste in LR or ACR. If you are shooting in JPEG then choose one of the picture controls. Picture controls really won't have any effect if you are shooting Raw.

Ron

It's all about the light.

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1766 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 16-Jul-13 10:12 PM

Thanks all...I always shoot in RAW and then post in LR5. I'll stay there on this camera so I give it a fair shake.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3385 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Wed 17-Jul-13 09:50 AM

Rick - I absolutely join in supporting the idea of shooting with standard settings, especially when testing a camera. Of course, if you are shooting nothing but RAW, the camera is determining your settings and you are then making choices in PP. The D3/D700 family was amazing and was truly a revolutionary versus evolutionary change over previous Nikon cameras. While I don't think the changes from the D700 to the D800 are quite as striking, you are going to be going to be amazed by the D800. In addition to resolution, its dynamic range is stunning. Enjoy, but one warning: You're going to find the D800 to be pretty darned good -- and that's going to result in the D3 staying home or in the bag a lot in the future! I miss only the higher frame rate of the D3/D700 group, but it's certainly more than usable and better than the old days of film and a fast thumb!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1766 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 5

Wed 17-Jul-13 10:12 AM | edited Wed 17-Jul-13 10:15 AM by PSAGuy

Thanks Alan....everything you say makes sense. The D3 has been a superb tool and will always be part of my shooting....as it is the mainstay of my sports photo business. I rely on it all hockey season to catch those ultra fast shots. There have been times when I was caught off guard at a key moment in a game (not often...hahaha) that I simply just point the camera without looking and fire and feel no chance did I get that shot....and voila.....perfect, focus, composition, and freeze-action.
I agree from what I've already seen, the D800e looks pretty darn special. But for sports....the "D3 family" (hopefully a D4 soon) is my go to machine simply based on it's past performance. It would be nice though if the D800e could get great resolution, high iso performance (>iso3200) ability to crop, good dynamic range AND sports performance. That kind of versatility is called value and would make me buy this camera. That is what I am testing over the next 6 days. Oh the possibilities !!!

Thanks again....good info.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 6

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 17-Jul-13 11:29 AM

I use a customized Standard setting 90% of the time (it is customized for slightly more contrast and sharpness, 2 steps that I almost universally apply in post).

If you are shooting JPGs, as pointed out, there is a direct effect.

If you are shooting RAW and using VNX ot CNX to post-process, you can always change it, but setting the picture control before shooting can save you a step in PP. For instance, I always change to Portrait when doing a portrait session, as it gives me a better starting point for the images when I start processing them.

For testing a camera, Standard is probably the best bet.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 6

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 19-Jul-13 06:20 AM

One improvement you will notice related to sports is the improved tracking between shots in a burst. The D4 and D800, using the new 91k RGB metering sensor, has more information for predictive tracking during the blackout period.
The colors and dynamic range when shooting in decent light will be hard to send back after the rental period. The ability to crop wider scenes and still have print level resolution opens a lot of possibilities such as shooting wider and getting more than one crop from a congested area or crops of off the ball action that no one else is capturing. I was shooting in an event the other night and used my 24mm 1.4. The intended subject was a small group of invited speakers earnestly talking in a corner. I ended with a good shot but when reviewing the images on my computer, one of the talker's sister was whispering something and giggling to her friend, well out of usual framing, in such a delightful way that I cropped it and sent to the event organizers for an atmospheric shot. He used it on the trade association site as the featured image of the event. It did capture the mood of the event really well. Think of getting a detail shot of a running back breaking but also being able to crop a detail of the line action. Each shot would be high enough res to print, if a D3 image is.
If you do much post processing, being able to pull detail from dark shadows will add another tool in the toolbox. It is amazing in how much detail it can retain with good color with 3-5 stops of boost.
I would guess that a two camera kit, with both the D4/3 and a D800e would be the best possible set of tools for sports.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1766 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 22-Jul-13 05:59 PM | edited Mon 22-Jul-13 06:02 PM by PSAGuy

Stan...Thanks

Your comment makes perfect sense. I shot with the camera and was astonished at it's color rendition and my ability to crop. I will be looking at the test shots this evening in more detail. The real issue I had was one of quickness....by that I mean there were several times I was pushing the shutter and nothing happened other than autofocus. There were also some settings locked into the rental camera, and this may have had something to do with it....not sure. A couple times also, the CF card had to be reset in the slot....this may be from lots of rental use. It did not seem to have the overall "quickness" of my D3 . Sometimes I'll get surprised by action away from the main game play....and I'll simply turn, aim and fire away. That D3 always seems to grab the shot with flawless agility !! That trait is very valuable to me. But the D800E images look sparkling....really nice.

I am still struggling between this and the D4.

We shall see.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 9

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 23-Jul-13 04:37 AM | edited Tue 23-Jul-13 07:31 AM by km6xz

The apparent slow response is probably settings which take more processing power, but the measured responsiveness is very fast with the D800, 44 ms. in AF-C in Release mode. There are so many adjustments that it takes awhile using any modern high flexibility camera to figure out which features can be turned off to increase responsiveness. The D3 Release mode shutter delay is 49ms. Setting to Focus release mode, the D3 is faster, up to twice as fast in Focus release mode but that is determined more by the lens than native response time of the camera.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1479 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Settings" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Mon 29-Jul-13 02:24 PM

I use Standard for most but then I nearly always increase the saturation a lot in post. So lately I have been shooting a custom version of Vivid with the contrast reduced by 1 step so that the shadow detail is retained and dark areas rendered less "powerful".
I use ADL on AUTO, LOW or NORMAL for bright sunlit scenes and off when shooting in shade or poor light when natural contrast is weaker.

I also tend to reduce the in-camera sharpening because it can exert a "granulating" effect on noise. I prefer to sharpen selectively in post processing.

Provided you shoot in RAW and use Nikon software you can always change it later to whatever you want.

Visit

G