Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Battery Management

w0gm

Fort Collins, US
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
w0gm Registered since 03rd Jan 2006
Sun 14-Jul-13 05:11 PM

Does anyone have a good solution for managing batteries when they are not in the camera? I now have eight batteries for a pair of D800s, each one numbered and dated with the date they went into service. I try to use them in numerical order just so they all get used regularly. However, they are all rattling around in some pocket in my camera bag. I found some small 9.5 ounce Glad plastic containers at the grocery store which hold four batteries, but it doesn't fit a shoulder bag very well. I'm thinking that some sort of sleeve would be ideal, but haven't found anything like that yet. Any suggestions?

Bill

Bill Standerfer
Fort Collins, CO

My website.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7068 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sun 14-Jul-13 04:10 PM

I keep mine numbered so that I can easily rotate them for even usage. When not in the camera, the extra batteries are sitting on a shelf with my other photo equipment. My bag only contains one extra battery at the most.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

JonK

New York, US
6325 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 1

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sun 14-Jul-13 05:19 PM

Same with me. One battery in the camera, an extra in the bag — and I've yet to have to use it on a shoot. I have a third in my V1. I do casually rotate them.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 2

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012
Sun 14-Jul-13 05:50 PM

Same as Jon. One in the camera, one in the bag. I'll buy new ones when the time comes. Like Jon I've never needed to switch batteries during a shoot. I'm careful to keep them topped off. That helps to extend the life of Li-Ion batteries, and I always want the ability to open the shutter to blow crud off of the sensor.

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 14-Jul-13 06:41 PM | edited Sun 14-Jul-13 06:42 PM by ajdooley

I don't feel the need for a plan to rotate batteries. The camera can tell you not only the charge status of a battery, but its condition as well. If a battery starts to show deterioration, I will replace it. I have employed two D700 bodies and a total of six batteries for more than four years and none of them have failed nor are any in need of being replaced even now.

Based on my experience with the D700 cameras, I will probably limit my battery "herd" for my two D800 bodies, to a total of four. Six was obviously overkill for the pair of D700 cameras. (I want to use the plural of D700 as D700s, but then I am often asked where I got that model!) If I am travelling more than overnight, I take a charger with me, just in case. They are small and light.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2672 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sun 14-Jul-13 08:08 PM

I have just two batteries for my D800 which I alternate. I do not believe that it makes much sense to keep multiple spare batteries. The capacity and the ability to hold a charge of Li ion batteries decrease with time, regardless whether they are being used or not. The service life of Li batteries is severely reduced, if they are kept at high temperatures. You get the best longevity, if you keep your spare batteries at about 0 degree C with a charge of about 40%. With these conditions, the battery retains close to 100% capacity for one year. During use, complete discharge should be avoided, since this shortens the life time of the battery.

I have used two batteries with my D700 for five years, and they are still usable although the capacity is somewhat reduced. I also once bought a non-Nikon battery which burst into flames upon charging...

Tristan

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sun 14-Jul-13 08:15 PM

I'm also with Jon on this one. I have never had more than a pair of batteries with any camera. When I acquire a grip, which I have for all but one, I top the grip battery off prior to shooting. At the time that the body battery depletes to 50%, I charge both and swap their positions.

One battery lasts me so long that it wasn't until I bought a grip, after the camera was 90 days old, that I saw the one battery was showing as age 3. If it doesn't start reading as new after a few full discharge/recharge cycles, it will be replaced.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 5

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Mon 15-Jul-13 09:58 AM

Albrecht - The battery burst into flames while charging it? That's the reason I use nothing by Nikon batteries. In fact, I got a free battery for my second D800 when I bought it. I dropped it in the trash without even opening it. I would have returned it for no refund, but I'd have had to pay the postage and I already spring for a 2 yard dumpster that is emptied monthly in my rural environment. I'll keep an eye on the dumpster until they empty it Wednesday!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 7

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Mon 15-Jul-13 10:42 AM

My freebie is still in its blister pack.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

lajolla

LaJolla, US
388 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 6

lajolla Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2005
Mon 15-Jul-13 12:27 PM

Replacement Nikon EN-EL15 Lithium-ion Batteries are supplied with a plastic battery terminal cover that should be saved and used when storing spares in the camera bag to prevent damage to the terminal contacts or accidental discharge. Good luck.

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2672 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 7

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Mon 15-Jul-13 01:22 PM

Alan - Li ion batteries employ an organic electrolyte which is inherently flammable. Just remember the problems the "Dream Liner" has had with Li batteries. Also, I believe that Nikon was forced to re-design their batteries for the D800 because of safety concerns.

Tristan

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 9

avisys Basic Member
Mon 15-Jul-13 03:57 PM

>
>to the terminal contacts or accidental discharge. Good luck.

. . . or a fire!

AviSys

GringoRojo

Strathclyde, UK
1122 posts

#12. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 0

GringoRojo Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2008
Fri 02-Aug-13 11:50 AM

hi guys,

anyone used a battery replacement/mains adaptor power pack for studio work with your 800?

Alan
a Doonhamer in Strathclyde (Scottish Nikonian)
D800&D200 shooter. Favourite lens is my nikkor 300f4AFS
My Nikonians Gallery: feel free to comment

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#13. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 12

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 03-Aug-13 07:07 AM

I've never even seen one in the flesh. But if I had, and was not taking long sequences of time lapse, I would never bother with another cord hanging from the camera. I have 4 batteries now, 1 each in both of my main bodies and 1 each in both grips and have never come close to running out of power for an event. I have a few more but those are for the camera that I do not keep in the bag, a gripped D90. So, for me, I have no battery management problem since they are all in cameras and I simply charge them in the pre-event shooting routine of cleaning, topping up batteries(need lots for the flashes), formatting cards setting shooting banks for most expected scenes etc. While doing that, the batteries are fully charged by the time I finish the housekeeping of the bag and lenses.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Cowleystjames

UK
116 posts

#14. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 13

Cowleystjames Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013
Mon 05-Aug-13 02:07 PM | edited Mon 05-Aug-13 02:07 PM by Cowleystjames

I've gone over to EN-EL18 batteries for my D800e the logic being that I already have two of them for my D4 (one came free) so I purchased one more along with a BL-5 Battery chamber cover. I now have a battery that never seems to exhaust no matter what I throw at it. But I have a spare for whichever camera needs a replacement first.
Of course if you don't already have a D4 then it can be expensive to go down the route of using EN-EL18's as the MH-26 charger alone is about £300.

Rickjobson

Windsor, AU
118 posts

#15. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 12

Rickjobson Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2012
Thu 08-Aug-13 04:21 AM

>hi guys,
>
>anyone used a battery replacement/mains adaptor power pack for
>studio work with your 800?
>
Hi Alan,
i use the nikon adapter, it fits into the battery compartment and there is a small rubber section that moves to allow the cord to come out. Then a transformer and cord plugs into this. It works well for me, i have it mounted on a tilt head for light box work. Only use batteries when using a model or outside.
>Rick
>
>>face="comic sans ms"]Alan
>>face="comic sans ms"]a Doonhamer in Strathclyde
>(Scottish Nikonian)
>>size="2"]D800&D200 shooter. Favourite lens is
>my nikkor 300f4AFS

>My
>Nikonians Gallery: feel free to comment>

RickJ

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#16. "RE: D800 Battery Management" | In response to Reply # 15

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Fri 16-Aug-13 11:41 PM

It is not unusual for me to use two or more batteries at an Event.
It is also not unusual for me to take over 5,000 pictures.

At the recent Spirit West coast I used 4+ part of one while VideoGraphing with my D800e.

I never really thought about marking my batteries.
That is a good idea.

G