Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Image enlargement (percentage) during Playback

Rohinton_Mehta

Mumbai, IN
530 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002
Sat 13-Jul-13 05:51 AM

When reviewing images on the LCD screen, is there any way of knowing the image enlargement in percentage? At every press of the image enlargement button (during Playback), the image enlarges, but I would like to know by what percentage it is being enlarged, the same way we can tell in Photoshop. Is there a way?

Thanks in advance.

Rohinton

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#1. "RE: Image enlargement (percentage) during Playback" | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Sat 13-Jul-13 07:21 AM

I believe zoom levels follow Nikon's editing software. So it would look like this:

300%
200%
100%
66%
50%
33%
25%
16%
12%
8.3%
6.25%
5% <---- Being full image review with no zooming.

At least this is how it seems to scale playing with the camera and Capture NX2. Now I have my F2 setting for playback mode center button set for low magnification. So when reviewing, I tap the center control button and it brings me to the 50% zoom setting. Medium brings you too 100% and high brings you to 200% setting.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13640 posts

#2. "RE: Image enlargement (percentage) during Playback" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sat 13-Jul-13 11:47 PM | edited Sun 14-Jul-13 12:01 AM by dm1dave

We had this question recently in the D300 forum. Here is the thread.

I think it is safe to assume that this function is consistent across Nikon bodies.

The numbers posted above by Chris look correct - except I think they skip 300%, so, the last push of the zoom button gives you 400%.

I have custom setting f2 set to zoom to medium magnification so that I get 100% zoom to check focus.

The D300 thread I liked to describes my method of testing the zoom levels.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#3. "RE: Image enlargement (percentage) during Playback" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 14-Jul-13 06:46 PM | edited Sun 14-Jul-13 06:47 PM by ajdooley

Rohinton -

I zoom some to verify focus. But my real use of the two largest zooms is to amaze and wow people at how much detail there is! I'm getting old though, and my problem is trying to remember where my focus point was when I zoom, so I don't mistake a DOF issue for a lack of sharpness!

I suspect Chris is extremely close to correct, and Dave's confirmation and fine tuning amplifies that belief. He's not often wrong about anything about a Nikon!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2675 posts

#4. "RE: Image enlargement (percentage) during Playback" | In response to Reply # 3

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Tue 16-Jul-13 04:45 AM

And don't forget that you can set up the center button of the four-way switch to fast-track to one of (I believe) three magnifications. Mine is set to the medium, which is two clicks short of maximum. This is probably 1:1, which is good for checking sharpness.

Regards, Antero

G