Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
mikeguil Registered since 18th Dec 2005
Fri 05-Jul-13 03:59 AM

Interested to learn what others are using to control bulb exposures. I've been looking at the Satechi, iOShutter and TriggerTrap but wondering what else may be available. I'd like to be able to select the bulb exposure I want and have it release the shutter and then close again when the time is up.

Mike Guilbault
Elmvale, Ontario, Canada
http://www.PhotographyWorkshops.ca
http://www.MGPhotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1478 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Fri 05-Jul-13 12:15 PM

I do it manually with MC30 or MC36 remote cords. I have both. There is a lock switch on the release button for the "bulb" effect. Downside is that you have to stay there to release it. Will need to read my MC36 manual as it may have a way to set longer exposure times than 30s but I do not recall.

Hopefully someone with experience of the various electronic remote trigger systems will know if there is a way to preset long exposure times - I don't have experience of these gadgets.

Somewhere I actually have a bulb and associated pneumatic tubing that was used for long exposures in the days before electronics...

Visit

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#2. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 0

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Fri 05-Jul-13 08:25 PM

Mike,

I have used Nikon MC-30 wired remote release for bulb exposures. But have recently moved to a Vello ShutterBoss Wireless RCW-N1.

Both get the job done but the wireless gives me more options, as I do not need to be very close to the camera. The MC-30 has 2.5 feet cable.
I am also worried that the cable might get caught in something or trip the complete system (Camera on a tripod), if I am not careful. Hence I moved to the wireless option.

I have no experience with the options you have listed but they look interesting. The benefit of Vello device is that the receiver has its own power and will not drain battery from the camera, especially if you are looking for very long time-lapse or other bulb mode shots.

Pravin.

jaymc

Port Orchard, US
80 posts

#3. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 0

jaymc Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2006
Sat 06-Jul-13 12:49 AM

I use me finger and an app on my iPhone.

mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 2

mikeguil Registered since 18th Dec 2005
Sat 06-Jul-13 12:56 AM

Pravin,

If you set the length of exposure for a bulb function, will it stop the exposure at the end of the set time?

Mike Guilbault
Elmvale, Ontario, Canada
http://www.PhotographyWorkshops.ca
http://www.MGPhotography.com

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#5. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sat 06-Jul-13 03:29 AM | edited Sat 06-Jul-13 03:30 AM by JosephK

>Interested to learn what others are using to control bulb
>exposures. I've been looking at the
>Satechi,
>iOShutter
>and TriggerTrap but wondering what
>else may be available. I'd like to be able to select the bulb
>exposure I want and have it release the shutter and then close
>again when the time is up.
>
>
>Mike Guilbault
>Elmvale, Ontario, Canada
>http://www.PhotographyWorkshops.ca
>http://www.MGPhotography.com

I use the mc-36 cabled release on the D200 and D700 (works with the D800). Normally I just hold the release for the desired time, but it does have the option of programming the time then you can hit the start button and let it end it for you. You can download the user's manual from NikonUSA.com.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

hondona

Southern Pines, US
51 posts

#6. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 5

hondona Registered since 21st Dec 2008
Sat 06-Jul-13 11:03 AM

CamRanger.

byvini

UK
28 posts

#7. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 0

byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Sat 06-Jul-13 11:13 AM

Ihave been using Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote with great sucesso. Easy to use and great performance.

byVini photography

MEMcD

US
31589 posts

#8. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 06-Jul-13 11:43 AM

Hi Mike,

I use the Nikon MC-36 for exposures longer than 30 sec.
It can be used a simple timer or a intervalmeter allowing you to set the delay, shutter speed, interval, and number of exposures.

Best Regards,
Marty

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#9. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 4

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Sat 06-Jul-13 11:43 AM | edited Sat 06-Jul-13 11:44 AM by liamtoh1ps

>If you set the length of exposure for a bulb function, will it
>stop the exposure at the end of the set time?

Yes. It is possible with Vello Shutterboss.

byvini

UK
28 posts

#10. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 0

byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Sat 06-Jul-13 10:57 PM

I have been using Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote with great sucesso. Easy to use and great performance.

byVini photography

sl33py

Seattle, US
340 posts

#11. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 2

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2008
Thu 11-Jul-13 02:23 PM

I've tried several. I like the 2.4GHz setups for range and features.

I have 2 Pixel (goes by several other rebranded names for same model) remote releases. One is the TW-282 wireless, other is the wired version (same features minus wireless). Bonus is they all plug into eachother as backup if one dies (wired).

I've used this setup for 2-3 years happily. Low light, fireworks, star trails, etc. One limitation of these (and several other RR's) is the gap between shots. Doing star trails i didn't like the gap in the star trail. Minimum 1 second (no LENR obviously).

That got me looking for something new and am trying out the new triggertrap setup (v2 i think). So far it's worked well. My goal was to use iphone/ipod touch and ipad/iphone to control wireless. Honestly i find it more useful/easy to just use my iphone and do it wired. Eventually might go wireless, but so far it's been easy since i always have my phone with me!

I did one night shot at Mt. Rainier for star trails and really appreciated the wireless option of the Pixel setup (mosquitoes and flies at lake's edge). I was 20+ feet away doing other fun things (playing w/ GF's camera and light painting w/ her), while it shot away the series for star trails. Using the new TT setup i'd definitely plan to go wireless if doing similar. Good excuse to play w/ that setup anyway.

I know the MC30/MC36 are great setups, but at the price i still feel the after market options have better features (like wireless), for a LOT less...

Anyway - HTH and GL!

Rob

sl33py

Seattle, US
340 posts

#12. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 10

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2008
Thu 11-Jul-13 02:30 PM

>I have been using Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote with
>great sucesso. Easy to use and great performance.

For those of you with the Hahnel Giga T setups - doing intervalometer - can you do less than 1 sec delay between shots?

The receiver and screen on the wireless remote look almost identical to the Pixel TW-282 i have. The screen is sideways on the Hanhnel, but same menu/items on the LCD display. Receiver is spot on, minus the different brand name on it.

Thx!

mathewsds

Vancouver, US
1 posts

#13. "RE: Bulb Timers" | In response to Reply # 3

mathewsds Registered since 25th May 2013
Mon 22-Jul-13 12:52 AM

Is the app, Raydio Master professional bluetooth camera remote? The directions, according to the app, are: "...connect the mini shutter release cable to your camera. Turn on the mobile app and shoot." This is blue tooth, right? So, what is the mini shutter release cable? Do I need to buy one?

G