Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fast Flash Card for Live View

tivoli1

US
42 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tivoli1 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2011
Mon 27-May-13 09:39 AM

I am using the Cinevate Cyclops viewfinder on my camera to help me focus which means I am using live view all the time. To get the live view back after pressing the shutter is extremely slow! I use these cards:

Sandisk CFcard 90md/s, Sandisk Extreme Pro 600x or

Sandisk SDHC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I (Class 10 Speed, Max. Read Speed: 95MB/s, Max. Write Speed: 90MB/s, Ultra High Speed Class 1)

I have to install the last 2 firmware updates, just fyi. Any recommendations on very fast cards and if that will help get a faster live view?

Thank you!

kodiak photo

Montréal, (Qc), CA
734 posts

#1. "RE: Fast Flash Card for Live View" | In response to Reply # 0

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013
Tue 28-May-13 02:20 AM | edited Tue 28-May-13 03:03 AM by kodiak photo

Hello Susan,

There are two points here,
• the CF card, and
• the file size!

1- The CF cards
I do not believe that their performance is of any relevancy in this,
you have good cards.

2- The file size
This is where I think that the shoe may hurt!
If you are working with a D800/E, (you do not say
which camera you're using) the file size alone could
be responsible for the observed slower performance.
I assume that working with smaller file size would
speed up things a bit.

My D3S (12,5MP) pops up the taken pictures to the screen
faster than my D800E (37MP).

Have a good day…

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at
Photography • Design • Typography

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

RABaker

Sunnyvale, US
731 posts

#2. "RE: Fast Flash Card for Live View" | In response to Reply # 1

RABaker Registered since 30th Sep 2003
Tue 28-May-13 03:56 AM

Yep - I think Kodiak is correct. Your cards are not holding you back. Each of them is capable of being written to at higher rates than your camera can use. What is taking the time is the fact that the files are large and the camera can only write as fast as its internal operating system and hardware will allow.

I have no idea if there is a way to set the camera so it will write the files to the card "in the background," but I suspect this would be the only way to speed things up other than reducing the file size of the capture. Does anybody know if there is a way to have the camera write from the buffer to the card in the background?

Good luck,
Richard

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#3. "RE: Fast Flash Card for Live View" | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Tue 28-May-13 05:47 AM

Your CF and SD cards aren't slowing you down at all...

What happens in live view is the mirror is up and you composing and adjust settings for subject. Then you press the shutter, so now the shutter has to close, then open for correct duration for exposure, then close again, with the last close the mirror comes back down also. Then the mirror has to go back up and then the shutter opens again for live view mode all the while, the camera has to change AF modes and metering mode processing also. So as you can see, a few more steps in the picture taking process vs. using view finder, which the mirror is down and shutter closed. So you would set settings for subject using built in meter system, shutter released, mirror goes up and shutter opens and closes for exposure, and mirror comes back down with shutter closing, and you are back to the start again.

Only way to speed things up is to either not use Live View if speed is what you need. Or use Live View to set focus and exposure then back out of it and use remote release with mirror up mode as long as subject isn't moving.

Just my 2 cents though.

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tivoli1

US
42 posts

#4. "RE: Fast Flash Card for Live View" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 28-May-13 07:34 PM

I guess I didn't check subscribe because I was just checking back to see if I got answers and saw these 3, so thank you!

I'm using the 50mm 1.2 lens mostly, which is manual focus, and the Cyclops viewfinder really helps me focus so I'll keep using live view for now. But, I'm going to Spain next week as part of a work trip and will be taking work related images which do not have to be perfect, just decent, so maybe I'll try setting it to fine jpg rather than the RAW setting that I usually have it on. I'll have to change it when I want to take travel photos I guess, but wow, is it slow.

And, yes, I have the D800.

Thank you!

tivoli1

US
42 posts

#5. "RE: Fast Flash Card for Live View" | In response to Reply # 2

Tue 28-May-13 07:35 PM

Thank you for the response, much appreciated and I like consensus!

tivoli1

US
42 posts

#6. "RE: Fast Flash Card for Live View" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 28-May-13 07:39 PM

Thanks for the explanation, very much appreciated. I don't need super speed, just not slow speed. I don't think I can do the remote release since I'm using a manual focus lens-it will defeat the point of the Cyclops viewfinder. I'll also take an alan key thing with me in case I want to remove the viewfinder.

G