Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
helmdr

Houston, US
297 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
helmdr Registered since 08th Nov 2012
Sat 25-May-13 12:45 AM

I am using the af-on technique, and I have the af set to C and d21. I take pictures and when I look at the focus point in nx2 it only show the center focus point and while i am taking pictures also only the center small square is shown in the viewfinder. metering is on matrix.

what am i doing wrong?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#1. "RE: af-on technique" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sat 25-May-13 09:12 AM

What you are seeing is expected. The viewfinder will only highlight the center point of your chosen group. This is also the point that CaptureNx2 and ViewNx2 will show you regardless of which point in the group really got used.

If the D800 is recording data similar to the older bodies, both the center point of the group and the actual point of the group get recorded in the EXIF data. Software like "ExifTool" will show you both points.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

helmdr

Houston, US
297 posts

#2. "RE: af-on technique" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 25-May-13 10:25 AM

thank you Joseph I will look at EXIF tool

LeeSyl

Belleville, US
147 posts

#3. "RE: af-on technique" | In response to Reply # 1

LeeSyl Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2011
Sat 25-May-13 01:25 PM

>>
>If the D800 is recording data similar to the older bodies,
>both the center point of the group and the actual point of the
>group get recorded in the EXIF data. Software like
>"ExifTool" will show you both points.

Brilliant! I've been laboring under the false notion that the Nikon software was showing me the 'actual' fp. I'll download the EXIF package and see whether I am able to sort it out. I learn so much on this site. Thanks.
>---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
>Joseph K
>Seattle, WA, USA
>
>D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
>50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX
>

txstone12

Texas, US
629 posts

#4. "RE: af-on technique" | In response to Reply # 0

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Sun 26-May-13 03:02 PM

In addition to what Joseph told you, by using the viewfinder display you can get a more intuitive feel for what's going on with the AF-C, d21 focus point pattern.

It sounds like you are already displaying the focus point in the VF - AF, a5. Then if you look at the focus point in the VF and press the AF-mode button (where you select AF-S, AF-C), the whole pattern of focus points illuminates. Then you can move the focus point by using the center wheel when shutter release is active to select which focus point to use (as long as the focus point is not locked). Observe what happens to the focus point pattern.

You can take a photo with the selected focus point at various locations, e.g., lower left and that focus point (if focus is achieved) will show in the display on playback. If you are placing the dynamic pattern on a moving subject, the center point or the point that you selected may change as the (dynamic) AF system follows the subject.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery

helmdr

Houston, US
297 posts

#5. "RE: af-on technique" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 27-May-13 08:34 PM

Great tip David I will put that into practice Thanks again