Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Tronski85

UK
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tronski85 Registered since 16th Aug 2006
Fri 24-May-13 09:35 AM

Hi 

I got a d800 and am been noticing I am getting soft out of
focus images  when shooting normally .. I have just set the
camera up on tripod and used the live view  and af on .. focus
is much better and sharper  ..  but when i go back to  using
the view finder the images are soft again ..  

the camera  di get dropped so wondering if this is the problem

I dont really wanto have to use  it in live view mode all the
time 

any suggestions ?? 

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: D800 focus issues" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 24-May-13 08:05 AM

It's quite possible that the camera being dropped has damaged the AF mechanism - "viewfinder" AF uses a subsidiary mirror behind the main mirror and this can certainly become misaligned though a shock.

It would be worth having your camera checked over by a reputable service agent.

Other than that, it may just be that you are not using the optimum AF settings for the type of shots you take - more information here would help

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Tronski85

UK
3 posts

#2. "RE: D800 focus issues" | In response to Reply # 1

Tronski85 Registered since 16th Aug 2006
Fri 24-May-13 08:19 AM

thanks for the info .. I thought that might be the case .. one drawback I live in tenerife and repair people are hard to find on the island !!

FredB D3

Indialantic, US
1170 posts

#3. "RE: D800 focus issues" | In response to Reply # 0

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008
Sat 25-May-13 07:52 AM

Hi Mark,

A bit more info would be useful:

1. Were images ever sharp on this camera with the lens you are using (if so, I'd suspect damage)?

2. Do you have other lenses that are sharp on this camera? If so, I'd check into fine-tuning the lens giving you OOF images.

3. Does the OOF condition occur (evenly) using all AF points? If only when using the left focus point, for example, it could be the pesky "left-focus" problem.

Just re-read your post:

>I have just set the
>camera up on tripod and used the live view and af on .. focus
>is much better and sharper

So you are saying that with AF on, and you are not focusing manually, the images are sharp when LV also is on? That sounds as though having LV on or off is the controlling factor (AF works well with LV on, but not when LV is off, as when shooting through the viewfinder). Someone with more understanding than I have of how AF and LV interact needs to address this.

Fred
Florida, USA

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1478 posts

#4. "RE: D800 focus issues" | In response to Reply # 3

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Sat 25-May-13 12:33 PM

D800 has two completely independent AF systems

When using normal AF via the viewfinder, the camera uses some optical method inolving the mirror and the focusing screen underneath the vf prism.

When using live view, the mirror is up and the vf can't be used. In this case the camera focuses using contrast detect on the sensor (like a point and shoot camera). Live view focus is accurate because it measures the focus on the sensor where the image is recorded whereas the optical AF system relies on very precise alignment of the mirror and prism and focussing screen so the light path length to these components is exactly the same as the light path length to the sensor.

If the camera was taking sharp images before being dropped and now does not, escept when live view is used.....it points to some damage (misalignment) of the optical AF system in the viewfinder light path.

Visit

Izman

US
1 posts

#5. "RE: D800 focus issues" | In response to Reply # 0

Izman Registered since 09th May 2013
Sun 26-May-13 11:16 PM | edited Sun 26-May-13 11:18 PM by Izman

I had a similar problem. The D800 was fantastic out of the box. It focused quickly and tack sharp. In fact a good working D800 and a Nikon 14-24 lens is the ultimate.
I leave near LA so I took the camera to Nikon in Los Angeles. The camera needed a new part plus all the software had to be reloaded and adjusted. It is back to fantastic.
I suggest getting the camera back to Nikon service. They have all the parts and equipment needed to make it fantastic again. Don't worry it will be better then ever.

G