Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
149 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RWSTARRETT Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2009
Thu 23-May-13 10:52 PM

I have been using FocusTune to fine tune my prime lenses. Today I went through the rather time consuming process of tuning my 500MM F4.0 AFS lens with mt D800, D700 and D7000. There were no issues with the latter two, but about 1 out of three images shot with the D800 show exif data in Focus Tune that says the fine tuning is turned off. The other cameras never do that. I'll shoot, for instance, 5 images at -3 and find that two of them will not be counted because "AFA" is "off". Shooting the same sequence with my D700 or my D7000 reveals that all five images show AFA "on". I've only seen this with the D800. I had the same issues with my 300mm F2,8 VR lens. No problems with the other cameras, only the d800.
Has anybody had seen this problem with fine tuning auto focus?? Seems to be a D800 problem where the autofocus fine tuning adjustment is not always applied.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MichaelT

Melbourne, US
25 posts

#1. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 0

MichaelT Registered since 04th Nov 2008
Fri 24-May-13 01:23 PM

Hi,

We see this from time to time. I have seen where the focus rung was touched so the camera consideres it a manual focus image. perhaps the D800 AF system is more sensitive to the MF override Also I have seen an EXIF bug where the wrong ESIF data is recorded in the camera, but usually this occurs right after a Live View shot which seems not to be the case here.

I would like to see the camera JPG files where the problem exists. 3 shots for each. The shot before, after and the "bad" shot. That might help me to find the cause. Upload instructions are here. be sure to let me know you have uploaded. Thanks. Maybe we can sort this out.

Upload instructions: http://mtd.forumatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=77

Michael Tapes
Owner: Michael Tapes Design

Creator:
LensAlign
FocusTune
WhiBal
Instant JPEG from Raw

RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
149 posts

#2. "Of course IRE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 24-May-13 10:42 PM

Of course, I have deleted the images. I can easily repeat them, however, so I'll send that in a future post. Interestedly, there seems to be no predictability to the issue. I'll do it tomorrow.

RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
149 posts

#3. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 25-May-13 01:44 PM

Hello
I uploaded 4 *.jpgs to your site, but am not sure it ever completed. With my D800 only am still having problems where exif data seems to say AF fine tune is turned off. I'll try to upload 3 examples and a copy of the spread sheet view so you can see what a frequent issue it is.

Richard

MichaelT

Melbourne, US
25 posts

#4. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 25-May-13 04:02 PM

Thanks Richard,

The "bad" shots...the camera reported no AF point, where on the good shots it reported the center AF point. Only thing that i could see in the pictures that could cause this was a slight glare that varied from shot to shot. Just to check that out I would check the camera under fixed conditions rather than sunlight which is always changing.(for this issue).

I have no idea if that is the cause or not. No other meta-data was changed (except relevant stuff like shutter speed, shutter count, image size etc).

Would be curious to know if you find anything. Thanks...

Michael Tapes

Creator:
LensAlign
FocusTune
WhiBal
Instant JPEG from Raw

RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
149 posts

#5. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 4

Sun 26-May-13 01:36 PM

Whatever the cause, the D800 works fine. I'm much more curious to see how fine tuning my prime lenses with Focus Tune will affect the quality of my images. I had previously done it with eyeball evaluation of images taken of a target and in each case, my old fine tune number was in the ball park, but different from what I got from Focus Tune. The use of the software certainly objectifies the process compared with my old method. The proof, however, ......

MichaelT

Melbourne, US
25 posts

#6. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 26-May-13 05:02 PM

As much as a leap forward FocusTune V2.0 has been over V1.x, the next version will be an equal leap forward, and the final piece of the puzzle that I have been working on.

Stay tuned.

Michael Tapes

Creator:
LensAlign
FocusTune
WhiBal
Instant JPEG from Raw

RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
149 posts

#7. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 30-May-13 01:28 PM

Regarding the problem with fine tuning turned off for some images, I found that if I use JPG Basic resolution, that seemed to minimize the issue. I had had the camera set to JPG Fine. Also, I was getting errors "normal.exe is not working" at times with the Focus Tune software. That error goes away if you zoom in to the target more, presumably allowing the software to deal with smaller amounts of data for each image.
Overall, for those Nikonians interested in fine tuning autofocus for their lenses, I think the Focus Tune software speeds and objectifies the process, eliminating all that staring at boring images I had to do when I did it my eye.

MichaelT

Melbourne, US
25 posts

#8. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 30-May-13 01:36 PM

Hi and thanks for your feedback.

Regarding the basic vs Fine. I would NOT recommend using Basic. You should always use FINE JPG for use with FocusTune. Just a caution with with the D800, if the buffer has not yet written out to the card and you change the focus or setting, the meta-data written can be corrupted. Maybe the use of basic allowed the data to be written to the card while the focus point data was stable. So my suggestion is to slow down the shooting process or use a faster card and see if the AFA not showing problem (a camera issue) goes away. That would actually make sense. I would appreciate if you could report back on this.

Regarding the Normalize.exe error. Yes, too big an amount of data can cause a problem but the zoom level should not affect that. The important thing is to use JPG FINE "and" to choose the proper crop size.

Thanks again for the feedback and kind words.

Michael Tapes

Creator:
LensAlign
FocusTune
WhiBal
Instant JPEG from Raw

platinumjstrain

Indianapolis, US
43 posts

#9. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 6

platinumjstrain Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2007
Fri 31-May-13 12:17 PM

Michael -

It was this post that told me about the FocusTune upgrade from v.1.03 to 2.0. Is there an upgrade path? Do you attempt to notify your purchasers of upgrades and I was just missed? Inquiring minds want to know. Thx.

Jim

MichaelT

Melbourne, US
25 posts

#10. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 9

Fri 31-May-13 12:28 PM

Hi Jim,

Good news and bad news...for the inquiring minds :>)

Bad news. No we did not send out a notice.

Good news. We will send out a notice for V2.5 which I see to be a game changer. Hopefully by July 1, but no promises.

Even better news. V2.0 and V2.5 are free upgrades to all FocusTune owners. Simply download on your licensed computer and it will pick up the existing license.

Thanks for your support...

Michael Tapes

Creator:
LensAlign
FocusTune
WhiBal
Instant JPEG from Raw

platinumjstrain

Indianapolis, US
43 posts

#11. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 10

platinumjstrain Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2007
Sat 01-Jun-13 09:46 AM

Michael -

All really good news. Thank you! For what it is worth, I also use your Lens Align system.

RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
149 posts

#12. "RE: AF Fine-Tune glitch" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 10-Jun-13 07:15 PM

Michael, I am truly sorry, but using Focus Tune is right up there with mopping the kitchen floor on my list of favorite activities. I'll try .jpg fine next time I need to use Focus Tune, but presently, I am satisfied with my results for my prime lenses (50mm 1.4, 500mm 4.0, 300mm 2.8) and don't feel the need to repeat them.

The #### here seems to be zoom lenses. We all love them for their convenience and utility, but I found large variations from one end of the zoom to the other with my 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR and even worse with the 28-300mm VR The bigger the zoom, the worse the issue. With my D800, the 28-300mm lens set at 300mm, I needed -9 fine tune compensation. The same combination at 28mm gave a fine tune compensation of about -1. My D700 told me -8 at 300mm and 0 at 28mm. I suppose the obvious answer is to set the fine tune compensation near the focal length where you usually use the lens. On the other hand, what's the point of a zoom lens with a large zoom if you can't rely on it focusing correctly wherever you have set it? I'm rethinking my zoom lens opinions.

G