Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1770 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PSAGuy Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008
Tue 21-May-13 01:49 AM | edited Tue 21-May-13 03:43 AM by PSAGuy

A quick question for which I need help with an opinion.

When shooting indoors at high ISO (say 3200+) and high shutter speed (1/500th), given the same lenses etc, does the D800E perform better , worse, or the same as a D3 with respect to image quality, and noise ???
There are a number of comparisons to the D3s here....but not the D3.
This may help me make some tough decisions as I head into the fall.

Thanks

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10646 posts

#1. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 21-May-13 08:45 AM

DxOMark provides a good comparison of performance of the two cameras. Both are very good with an edge of about 1 stop to the D800E for Noise and Color. Dynamic Range and Tonal Range are very close to the same with a slight edge to the D800E.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/792%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/438%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon

The differences would be very hard to observe visually.

If you're needing high shutter speed, AF and frame rate may also be factors. I'd give the edge to the D800E for AF and the D3 for frame rate.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1770 posts

#2. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 21-May-13 04:16 PM | edited Tue 21-May-13 04:17 PM by PSAGuy

Thanks....not actually looking to buy one instead of the other. Looking at the solid results now (from my D3) and their ability to please my clients. My clients love the hockey and basketball images I get them now at ISO 3200, so if they are similar, this D800E may be the ticket for me. Frame rate is never a big deal for me. I seem to get the stop action images I need with 2-3 frames.
My thinking is I can save $3 G's over going to a D4, and get great crop ability for shots across the ice when using a 70-200. PLUS I get a sweet new camera for my personal photography like landscapes etc.

I have been very, very pleased with my D3...and really don't need anything better to maintain and grow the business. I think the D800E would be a nice second body.

Many thanks again.

JonK

New York, US
6419 posts

#3. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 2

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Wed 22-May-13 12:13 AM

At reasonable print sizes, I find the high ISO performance is virtually identical between my D800e and my D3s. Color and dynamic range are better with the D800e, and the sharpness is simply amazing. ANd you get all those pixels to crop…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1770 posts

#4. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 22-May-13 02:14 AM

The CROP is the part that intrigues me. So if the D3s and D800E are similar in high-iso performance, I think this makes my mind up....because the D3s is BETTER than my D3.

This year's business capital investment is a D800E and an Epson 3880 to replace a 2880 that has been a tank for the past 4 years. What a job it's done producing thousands of prints without a hiccup.

Thanks all that gave advice. Appreciated.

porkmunchie

US
16 posts

#5. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 2

porkmunchie Registered since 06th May 2013
Thu 23-May-13 06:01 PM

Interesting dilemma. If 2-3 frames are shot at continuous high the D3 might get 3 shots of the same action during a moment in time when the D800 could only get 1 or 2. D3 9fps ~ 0.11 seconds interval between shots vs D800 4fps ~ 0.25 seconds, as a rough approximation of course. You could use DX crop plus the MB-D12 grip to get up to 6fps ~ 0.17 second intervals. I really depends on your technique whether it would affect capturing fast action. Comparing at the same output size, the D800 has better image quality. Whether your clients will notice it is another issue.

Montereyman

prunedale, US
497 posts

#6. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 0

Montereyman Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2013
Thu 23-May-13 08:14 PM

Having used the D3 extensively at ISO settings up to 6400 and owning a D800e the difference in noise is so small as to be no concern at all. I get greater variation based on the color temp of the light source and the reflectivity and color of the clothing and skin of my subjects.

Autofocus is markedly better with the D800e in low light situations.

The drawback to the D800e is that in many situations the 36MP is overkill and 95% of the time the image files from the 12MP D3 camera are every bit as good.

There are no indoor situations that come to mind where the D800e camera's greater resolution is going to be important and a benefit. It also needs to be used with care as if 15 shots are done with RAW capture in quick succession it will fill the camera's buffer and then it takes a full 15 seconds to clear before you can resume shooting. The camera was not designed for event or action photography so this is not really a flaw but simply a characteristic of the camera.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#7. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 4

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Fri 24-May-13 12:20 PM

>The CROP is the part that intrigues me. So if the D3s and
>D800E are similar in high-iso performance, I think this makes
>my mind up....because the D3s is BETTER than my D3.

This has certainly not been my experience at all. My D3s completely trumps my D800 at ISO 1600 or above. It focuses faster and it has less noise. Now below ISO 1600, the D800 is a DREAM. I also skipped the D4 in lieu of the D800 for much the same reasons you are considering. It's a phenomenal camera. Honestly, if I was just shooting sports, I'd probably have gotten the D4. If I was just shooting studio and portraits, I'd have only considered the D800. But in truth, the first camera out of my bag in most instances these days is the D600. Better ISO performance than the D800, WAY better resolution and color than my D3s.

This is not to say that the D800 cannot shoot at ISO 3200. I have done so and have been generally ok with the results. I am picky. I cannot compare to the D3 because I don't have one and have never used one.

Best of luck.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3577 posts

#8. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sun 26-May-13 04:19 AM

Rent or borrow a D800 for a session to see if it is better for your needs. If viewed with the same dimensions and distance a print should be better in noise, color and dynamic range, plus metering and low like AF should be better with the D800. But is it better in your shooting conditions? Rent and find out.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1770 posts

#9. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 8

Tue 28-May-13 01:05 AM

Thanks all...

YES...the solution I need to look at is rental of a D600 and 800e during a shoot, to figure which is best for my application. I will continue to use my D3 (at least for this coming hockey season) and then look at a D4 or maybe even a D4s/x when available. Make no mistake the old D3 runs like a champ and has produced some superb images at 3200 and 6400. It has never once missed a beat.

Obviously there are a lot of factors to consider......things like how does the camera handle white balance, autofocus in arenas etc. As for burst rate, like I mentioned I almost never have to use more than 2-3 bursts to capture my image.

Thanks again.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#10. "RE: D800E vs D3" | In response to Reply # 9

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sat 01-Jun-13 12:19 PM

I have a D600 and D800. I may be getting an e soon.
If so, it will be the D600 that goes.

I don't like the narrow grip.
It hurts my fat fingers.
I can shoot a D800 longer before getting tired.

When shooting an Event, I prefer the Medium size images of the D800
to the Large, Fine JPEGs of the D600 even though they are slightly smaller.

The D600 does focus well in poor light at ISO 6400,
but I cannot tell the difference from a D800.

Both cameras need to be hand held more steady than a D3 or 4.
More Pixels show user error mo beta.
Try increasing the shutter speed.

G