Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Convoluted or Smart Focus Solution?

tivoli1

US
42 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tivoli1 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2011
Fri 17-May-13 01:54 PM

I don't have the best eyesight, I don't have the youngest eyes and I wear progressive lenses in my glasses. I recently purchased the manual focus Nikkor 50 1.2 lens which I love. Focusing is quick and easy for the most part. That said, a sharp focus is everything and under many conditions, focusing with this lens can also be a challenge, possibly given my eyesight.

I started a search for focusing aids and eventually learned about viewfinders, typically used for video, which make focusing easier, like the Z-finder and others.

Again, since not much good happens without having a focus on focus, and since a tripod is not always convenient, what are your experiences with viewfinders? I'm considering the Cinevate Cyclops viewfinder too. Taking video is also in my future but this is more about still photography where a tripod is not used. The viewfinder is bulky but magnifies the screen and also must be used in live view.

Any disadvantages to shooting mostly in live view? Thanks.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#1. "RE: Convoluted or Smart Focus Solution?" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Fri 17-May-13 03:55 PM

Having been introduced to DSLRs by shooting video, I've used a LOT of live view. While it's an effective way to get focus (I use the LCDVF) there is one BIG problem that plagues me... especially in studio.

LiveView uses the selected aperture instead of using max aperture like you get when you shoot the more conventional way. In the studio, I am often at F8 to F16. Which means under the modeling lights, I can't see ANYTHING. Outdoors in the sun, things are very different.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tivoli1

US
42 posts

#2. "RE: Convoluted or Smart Focus Solution?" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 17-May-13 07:22 PM

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean. I bought the Cinevate Cyclops at B&H today and have already used it for a few hours. I think it's awesome and I have no problem using the camera in sunlight so maybe I'm missing something.

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#3. "RE: Convoluted or Smart Focus Solution?" | In response to Reply # 2

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Sun 19-May-13 02:34 PM

>Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean.

Perrone means that when focussing in Live View, the image on the LCD is shown at the aperture he's set and not the widest aperture of the lens. Hence, if he's using f8 in the studio, the Live View image on the LCD will be too dark to see much. This is the opposite of viewfinder focussing which always uses the widest available aperture - i.e. the lens doesn't close down until the shot is taken.

tivoli1

US
42 posts

#4. "RE: Convoluted or Smart Focus Solution?" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 21-May-13 12:19 PM

Thank you for that. I have not yet experienced a difficulty with brightness but I have also been shooting more widely open.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5739 posts

#5. "RE: Convoluted or Smart Focus Solution?" | In response to Reply # 3

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 22-May-13 09:46 PM

>Perrone means that when focussing in Live View, the image on
>the LCD is shown at the aperture he's set and not the widest
>aperture of the lens. Hence, if he's using f8 in the studio,
>the Live View image on the LCD will be too dark to see much.

Not with the latest firmware.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

G