Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Picture controls on D800

larsch01

Los Angeles, US
285 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
larsch01 Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009
Wed 15-May-13 07:31 PM

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to these questions, but since I spent some time setting up picture controls on the camera, I have to ask and make sure --

I am using LR or Photoshop CS5 to process my images and I typically shoot RAW. Is my understanding correct that these applications will ignore the picture control settings (e.g., landscape, vivid, etc)in the camera? If so, should I just reset everything or is there still a benefit to using the picture controls given my use of the Adobe products?

Thanks for any guidance/comments.

Larry

Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16904 posts

#1. "RE: Picture controls on D800" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Wed 15-May-13 05:42 PM

The Picture Controls don't affect raw images processed with those programs or most raw converters. The one thing that you might just want to be aware of is that they will affect the jpeg preview you see on the LCD screen and more importantly, the histogram. A contrasty, vivid Picture Control setting will give you a less accurate view of channel clipping (and make both it and the "blinkies" more conservative). If you want to increase the accuracy of what the histogram is showing, go with a Neutral setting and dial down the contrast. If you want to get fancy, you can also do things with the white balance, but that's something that requires a bit more work to recover from in post-processing.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#2. "RE: Picture controls on D800" | In response to Reply # 0

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Wed 15-May-13 05:43 PM

LR and Photoshop will ignore the picture controls except for white balance. However, the image on the camera LCD and thus the in camera histogram will depend on your picture controls. Therefore, you might want to set them with that in mind.

Brian

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2669 posts

#3. "RE: Picture controls on D800" | In response to Reply # 1

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Wed 15-May-13 06:57 PM

As already pointed out, the picture control settings have no effect if you are shooting RAW, unless you use NX2 for PP.

However, the picture control settings can still be useful. I set contrast and sharpness on "high" whenever I am using MF and LiveView. With these high settings it is much easier to get sharp focus at high magnification.

On the other hand, if you are using normal AF, it might be better to use standard picture control with all sliders set on "low". I believe that under these conditions the histogram most closely reflects the RAW file.

Tristan

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#4. "RE: Picture controls on D800" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Thu 16-May-13 05:33 PM | edited Thu 16-May-13 05:34 PM by jamesvoortman

On LR and CS5 the picture controls are ignored if you are shooting RAW. However :

1) If using Capture NX2 then they are used and can be altered in the software. For this reason I just leave the picture controls on Standard in the camera and make all the changes I want in post processing.

2) If shooting jpegs, the picture control settings will be applied to the jpeg files and will be carried through to any post processing software. Again you have to decide if you want it this way or if you would rather apply the same changes with more control and finesse in post processing.

Visit

G