Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lens stuck on Nikon D800E

phfcpa

Boca Raton, US
201 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
phfcpa Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2007
Tue 14-May-13 10:15 AM

I have a Nikon D 800E and my Nikon 500 VR f4.0 lens attached. I have been shooting with this combo for quite a while. Combo works perfect. Any ideas on how to remove the lens? I did see one other post via google, but no answers other then sending it off to Nikon repair.Seems like this has happened to D4 users also and other Nikon 800 users. Also, I really don't like the idea of sending the camera attached to the body to nikon. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: Lens stuck on Nikon D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 14-May-13 08:27 AM

What methods have you tried to remove the lens? This isn't a common problem, on the D800 or other cameras.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#2. "RE: Lens stuck on Nikon D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 14-May-13 10:33 AM

>I have a Nikon D 800E and my Nikon 500 VR f4.0 lens attached.
>I have been shooting with this combo for quite a while. Combo
>works perfect. Any ideas on how to remove the lens?

It's an unusual problem.

The only time I've ever encountered it was on a D700 - twice. A friend came to me with the camera, apparently unable to dismount the lens. It turned out that he was not depressing the lock button on the front of the camera. Problem solved.

The second time occurred with a stranger who was using a D700 with a 300mm F4 at a conservation hiking trail area near my home. The mount was admittedly tight, but the guy just wasn't using enough torque to rotate the lens on the mount after depressing the lock button. I helped him out, but the amount of torque needed didn't seem excessive at all to me. I think his expectation might have been that the dismount should occur absolutely smoothly and effortlessly, but some lens mounts are slightly tigher or looser on some bodies.

Anyway, in neither case was there an actual problem with the cameras or the lenses involved.

A jammed mount or over-rotated lens is really, really rare.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

FredB D3

Indialantic, US
1169 posts

#3. "RE: Lens stuck on Nikon D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008
Tue 14-May-13 12:40 PM

Hi Philip,

I agree, sending the camera/attached lens anywhere is not an appealing alternative. Is there a friendly Nikon Dealer nearby, preferably one from which you bought either the camera or lens, that you could take it too?

Has the camera/lens ever sustained a hard knock that might be causing a jam? Many (most?) lenses will wiggle (rotational/clock-wise and counter clock-wise) a tiny bit when on the camera. Although this causes a bit of concern among some, it is perfectly normal, and unless extreme, does not effect picture quality. Does your lens have any rotational wiggle that might indicate that it is not jammed? You might try turning the camera/lens back and forth a bit with the bayonet mount unlocked. With the 500mm, I am never sure if one puts the lens on the camera, or the camera on the lens.

Fred
Florida, USA

phfcpa

Boca Raton, US
201 posts

#4. "RE: Lens stuck on Nikon D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

phfcpa Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2007
Tue 14-May-13 12:44 PM

Was able to get the lens off, there is a small service area that need to be poked with a small device. Lens came off, but a pin broke, and I will be sending the camera to Nikon for service to repair the broken pin.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

#5. "RE: Lens stuck on Nikon D800E" | In response to Reply # 4

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Tue 14-May-13 01:25 PM

Maybe the pin you refer to is the camera aperture lever. I understand that this is one of Nikon's most common camera repairs.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

FredB D3

Indialantic, US
1169 posts

#6. "RE: Lens stuck on Nikon D800E" | In response to Reply # 4

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008
Tue 14-May-13 05:35 PM

Hi Phillip,

>Was able to get the lens off, there is a small service area
>that need to be poked with a small device. Lens came off, but
>a pin broke, and I will be sending the camera to Nikon for
>service to repair the broken pin.

That is good news-bad news, and still does not explain the initial problem, or necessarily solve it. You might consider sending both camera and lens to Nikon, explaining what happened, and asking Nikon to check the camera-lens fit, in order to make certain that it won't happen again.

I have never heard of the "service area;" has anyone else, and what is it? I'm wondering now if the lens was defective, and that defect caused the problem. If so, and it might be a long-shot, but the lens repair could be covered by your lens warranty if there is one.

Will the lens now attach to the camera, lock, and come off as it should? Or maybe you don't want to try that.

Fred
Florida, USA

G