Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Wed 08-May-13 11:58 PM

I have a new EN-EL15 that read 3 for age in the body. I recharged the 2 batteries I use and swapped bays. It reads 3 in the grip. I suppose I should contact Nikon, unless a couple uses will break it in?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#1. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 0

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010
Wed 08-May-13 11:45 PM

Hi Scott,

You are right and I would use it several time to see if it comes up to a full charge. I tried to find the link to someone that had the same problem and it worked for him. But I could not find it, but try it and see if it works for you.

Good Luck,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3321 posts

#2. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 09-May-13 12:15 AM

Check Nikon USA. They recently posted a note about some recalled EN-EL15 batteries: check serial numbers, and if the 9th character is an E or an F, those are bad ones.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#3. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 2

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Thu 09-May-13 07:43 AM | edited Thu 09-May-13 09:38 PM by ScottChapin

Hi Alan,

I checked that prior to calling them. They say that batteries aren't warranted, but will see what they can do. I hadn't checked that battery until I got the grip, so i'lll understand if they don't do anything. I charged it up and threw it in the bag as a spare.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#4. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 3

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 09-May-13 09:15 PM

Recently there was a thread about a new battery reading low when charged and a follow up post commented that the battery read correctly after a couple charge cycles.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kodiak photo

Montréal, (Qc), CA
734 posts

#5. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 2

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013
Thu 09-May-13 09:24 PM

This is the link Alan is talking about:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/h0ndzaip/EN-EL15-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Pack-Recall.html

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

In photography, light is free but catching it is not!

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#6. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 09-May-13 09:38 PM

Thank you Stan and Daniel,

I can get it to charge fully now, but the age still reads as 3. I'll try draining it below 50% and recharging it a few times before I give up on it. It isn't in the recalled groups.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

mfong

MG
1 posts

#7. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 0

mfong Registered since 22nd May 2013
Fri 24-May-13 06:22 AM

Hello ScottChapin,

I had the same problem EL15 battery never full on the indicator even if the charger indicates full.
I then bought a generic charger for the EL15 and guess what? it charges the EL15 to full and no more indicatore issue.

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#8. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 0

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Fri 24-May-13 10:47 PM

Can you make sure your battery is not counterfeit. There are a fair number of them out there when the user bought them thinking they were genuine. Of course I am not insulting your intelligence with my comment. I've become a victim once.

Nikon has a page showing how to tell.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

FredB D3

Indialantic, US
1169 posts

#9. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 0

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008
Sat 25-May-13 08:10 AM

The EN-EL15 recall has nothing to do with the recharge condition indicator per se. The recall was due to the following (quoted in pertinent part from the US CPSC web site):

"Hazard: The battery packs can short circuit, causing them to overheat and melt, posing a burn hazard to consumers.

"Description: This recall involves Nikon EN-EL 15 rechargeable lithium-ion battery packs with lot numbers E and F. The battery pack was sold with the Nikon digital SLR D800 and D7000 model cameras. The battery pack's model number "EN-EL15" and "7.0V 1900mAh 14Wh" are printed on the back of the battery pack. Only battery packs with an "E" or "F" in ninth character of the 14-digit lot number located on the back of the battery pack are included in this recall."

Fred
Florida, USA

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#10. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 8

Sat 25-May-13 08:16 AM

It looks genuine. It came from B&H in Nikon packaging with a Nikon formatted serial number very similar to the one that came with the camera. It seems to be fully charging now, but still reports its age as 3.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#11. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 9

Sat 25-May-13 08:20 AM

Thanks Fred. That was the first thing I checked. I have a Pearstone that came free with the camera which I now see are discontinued. Maybe that's for a reason. I'm leery of using jobbers though, so it's in it's original blister pack.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#12. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 11

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Sat 25-May-13 01:08 PM

Scott

Through D200 and D300 (with 5 x EN-EL3/e) and now D800 with 2 x EN-EL15 I have never had one of them that reported "age" on the indicator. In fact all of them still read as new. I obviously should shoot more.

Visit

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#13. "RE: New EN-EL15 - Bad?" | In response to Reply # 12

Sat 25-May-13 11:37 PM

James,

That had been my experience too. I'm going to run this battery all the way down until the camera switches to the body's battery and then recharge it. If doing that two or three times doesn't do it, then I'm tossing it.

Who knows? Maybe it would stay at age 3 forever and work fine. All of my EN-EL3e batteries have been on zero forever.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

G