Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Dust somewhere I can't remove!

byvini

UK
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Mon 06-May-13 11:57 PM

There is something really bugging me that I need to ask your opinion about.
I have recently taken my camera to one of the authorized center (Nikon Fixation - UK) to clean some oil spots in the sensor. It was all good and the pictures are all clean.
But there is this dust somewhere that I can't get rid off. I though in the beginning it was oil in the sensor, but it is clearly not the case (after cleaning the sensor the spot is still there). It is there and I have blown it and managed to move it around just a bit. So, I am trying to figure it out where the dust is... could it be in the mirror? how would you clean it? Could it be in any other compartment? I have clean the eyepiece so it is not there...
How you guys deal with this? just leave it there and it will settle one day? take to nikon service?

Many thanks.

byVini photography

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#1. "RE: Dust somewhere I can't remove!" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Mon 06-May-13 10:11 PM | edited Mon 06-May-13 10:14 PM by ScottChapin

I'm assuming that it is not in your pictures? Sometimes dust gets under the focusing screen. They aren't removable like they were in film cameras. You can remove and replace it but its fussy involving the removal and replacement of shims.

Cleaning the fresnel surface is delicate in nature as well. If it annoys you and doesn't happen often, you might have it professionally done too.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#2. "RE: Dust somewhere I can't remove!" | In response to Reply # 0

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 07-May-13 01:54 AM

The obvious guess is to check your lens.

At minimum, change your lens and set at widest aperture and look against a light source.

Does it appear thru lite view?

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jjmirenzi

Dupont, US
152 posts

#3. "RE: Dust somewhere I can't remove!" | In response to Reply # 1

jjmirenzi Registered since 31st May 2012
Tue 07-May-13 11:32 AM | edited Tue 07-May-13 11:33 AM by jjmirenzi

I would agree with scott. Several years ageo I dropped my d300 with a 200 mm nikon macro lens while removing it from a tripod. Luckily it fell only 3 feet onto a carpeted floor. The lens hit first. There is a spot in the upper focusing chamber that I can see when looking into the camera but does not show up on any images. I decided to leave in alone.

byvini

UK
28 posts

#4. "RE: Dust somewhere I can't remove!" | In response to Reply # 0

byvini Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Thu 09-May-13 02:13 PM

I did try this morning with live view and the dust is not there. I also tried with different lenses and the dust does show itself in all combinations.
So it seems that I will need to get the blower to work hard till the dust moves somewhere.
It doesn't affect the pictures, it is just annoying. And being in Brazil it makes things extremely difficult... The only Nikon representative is in Sao Paulo (i am in the south).
Well, I guess I will need to live with that...

byVini photography

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#5. "RE: Dust somewhere I can't remove!" | In response to Reply # 4

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Thu 09-May-13 02:30 PM

It really does sound like a focusing screen issue. Blowing into it will only move the dust around and possibly exacerbate the situation by blowing more dust under it. Clean it, have it cleaned, or leave well enough alone.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#6. "RE: Dust somewhere I can't remove!" | In response to Reply # 5

eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008
Sat 18-May-13 09:03 AM

I have the same problem! It's driving me nuts, but so far it does not affect the picture. I do get a slight spot on the image, which I am trying to track.

shastings

Perth, AU
21 posts

#7. "RE: Dust somewhere I can't remove!" | In response to Reply # 6

shastings Registered since 05th Nov 2007
Sat 18-May-13 12:36 PM

Hi, I had a spot which did not show up in photos, but was annoying me when looking through the viewfinder. It turned out to be dust on the focus screen. My service centre cleaned it for me. I do live in a city, which makes getting help easy. Cheers.

Susan

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3320 posts

#8. "RE: Dust somewhere I can't remove!" | In response to Reply # 7

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 18-May-13 03:24 PM

Indeed - I was going to say -- if you can see the objectionable spot looking through the viewfinder -- it's not on the sensor. It's on the focus screen. Annoying as dust there can be, it doesn't affect your images.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

G