Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?

dgs2

San Francisco, US
711 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004
Mon 06-May-13 06:40 AM

I'm interested in the 800e, but don't know if I'm $500 interested. What happened to earlier Nikon Pricing?

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#1. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Mon 06-May-13 11:48 AM

I don't think you can compare the D800/D800E price differential to earlier models. That is because except for one performance difference, they are the same model released at close to the same time. So as time goes on and prices drop the price differential ratio may stay the same. That assumes that both models stay current. In the case of prior models you were comparing a current model with one that was being replaced. So the replaced model would drop faster than the current model. An example would be the D3 vs the D3S. You really can't compare them.

Another scenario would be if Nikon announced they would discontinue the D800E but not the D800. In that case the D800E might actually increase in price for a time and the price differential would increase.

Len

Cowleystjames

UK
116 posts

#2. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 1

Cowleystjames Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013
Mon 06-May-13 08:32 PM

I suspect that they justify the price differential due to the D800e not being made in the quantities that the D800 is.
I suspect that price difference will always be there.

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#3. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 0

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Mon 06-May-13 09:38 PM

Look around as the price differential vary, many stores sell for less than the MSRP. . At one store locally it is $270, but the d800e comes with an extra battery as part f the price so really the difference is $170.

Jason

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#4. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 3

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Mon 06-May-13 10:42 PM

Jason, In the US and I expect in Canada as well, Nikon holds their authorized dealers to a minimum price for most premium products like the D800/E and expensive lenses. If they sell below that number they will loose their Nikon dealership. I suspect that the dealers that sell below that price point are selling gray market and are not authorized Nikon retailers. In order to increase their sales the authorized dealers will throw in 3rd party batteries or memory cards for free. The price will still meet the minimum selling price. But the price differential between the two bodies still stays the same regardless of what the dealer throws in free.

Len

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#5. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 4

Tue 07-May-13 12:58 AM | edited Tue 07-May-13 12:59 AM by JPJ

That is not accurate in Canada unless the minimum price being insisted on is much lower than the MSRP.

The D800's MSRP on Nikon Canada's web site is $3149.00, yet most Nikon authorized dealers in Toronto are selling it for $2995-2999.99. Further, a few authorized dealers are selling at that price and throwing in Mack extended warranties.

Further the MSRP on the D800e is $3499.99, yet almost every dealer in Toronto are selling it for $3250.00-$3300.00. Further, at least one authorized dealer in town is selling at that price with an 3 year extended Mack warranty and a free extra battery (official Nikon) - I know I bought mine there and buy all my equipment from them. They most certainly do not sell grey market equipment, my model is Canadian and registered with Nikon Canada.

Maybe Nikon Canada has less stringent rules about this or the price differential between the D800 and D800e is just much lower here.

Jason

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#6. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 07-May-13 01:38 PM

MSRP is a manufacturers suggested minimum price and is probably not what Nikon holds their dealers to.

Len

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#7. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 07-May-13 02:50 PM

I just checked and in the U.S. the price difference is only $500 currently due to a instant savings on the D800 that expires in June. Normally it is $300 which appears to be the same in Canada (if you don't include the add-ins here which Nikon perhaps does not factor in or give directions about to dealers).

Jason

blw

Richmond, US
28570 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#8. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 07-May-13 06:34 PM

There are even rumors that the D800 will be discontinued, leaving only the D800e. If true, then the price differential would be... infinite? Or nil?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Cowleystjames

UK
116 posts

#9. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 8

Tue 07-May-13 08:18 PM

Don't forget that the D800e comes with Capture NX2, which over here is around £130 retail.
Typically in the UK, the D800e has a price premium of around £300, so after taking of NX2, the premium is about £170.

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#10. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 9

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Thu 09-May-13 12:01 PM

Hi Paul,

Europeans have an advantage there. Capture NX2 is not provided with the D800E in the U.S.

JDT

Cowleystjames

UK
116 posts

#11. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 09-May-13 09:15 PM

>Hi Paul,
>
>Europeans have an advantage there. Capture NX2 is not provided
>with the D800E in the U.S.
>
>JDT

That's a ####, wonder why?

nathantw

US
184 posts

#12. "RE: Is Nikon's Price Differential between 800 & 800e Permanent?" | In response to Reply # 0

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Fri 10-May-13 03:20 PM

>I'm interested in the 800e, but don't know if I'm $500
>interested. What happened to earlier Nikon Pricing?

If you'd like to wait until after June 1st then the difference will only be $300. Of course you'll need to pay $200 MORE for that D800 you may have been contemplating.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

G