Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Thu 02-May-13 11:09 PM

My D800 is on its way back from Melville after being sent in on April 19 for the left focus issue. I was coming up on the one year mark so it was now or never. So far everything has gone smoothly. I sent a disc with all my test shots (a subset of which can be seen in my nikonian's gallery). It was listed as a B1 repair with clean and check. It is currently listed as "bill" but UPS has sent a email that it will arrive tomorrow morning by next day air shipment.

Tomorrow's weather looks good for re-testing. Hopefully that will go smoothly as well and I will be reporting a successful left focus fix.

Brian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 0

Pugzilla Registered since 05th Aug 2008
Thu 02-May-13 10:21 PM

Brian,

I sure hope so - my D800 is in the Melville shop now undergoing the same B1 repair. I held off until almost a year to make as sure as possible that the proper equipment and protocols made it to the States. Only difference is I sent no images, just described the problem thoroughly. The fact that that the camera was accepted for warranty repair is, I believe, a good sign.

If yours focuses properly, I assume mine will also (of course I'll test it anyway .

Walter

Sometimes I think the world is a tuxedo... and I'm a pair of brown shoes.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Fri 03-May-13 09:57 AM

I just bought mine in late April and if I definitively determine I have the left focus problem, I will wait a few months before sending it in to make sure that people are finding their cameras truly repaired.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 03-May-13 01:17 PM

Not good.

The left and right focus points are now good but the center has a front focus. Same results on the 24mm and 50mm.

Guess I'll be wasting more time this weekend taking test shots so I can call Nikon on Monday. Hopefully I will not have to go through the argument where Nikon asserts the camera is "in spec".

Brian

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10633 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 03-May-13 05:13 PM

UGHH!

I just sent my D800E for service. It had the left focus sensor issue. I dropped it at my local Nikon Authorized shop and they told me it needed to go to Nikon.

My D800E was serial number 744 - one of the very first. But the center sensor is very sharp so I had been reluctant to have it serviced. My one year is ending and I needed to make a call on repair.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted out - and mine will be handled correctly.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 3

Fri 03-May-13 05:27 PM

My center is very sharp while left and right are not as good with left being slightly worse, but text is still very readable. I am very reluctant to send it in, but I have almost a year to give Nikon time to get their act together.

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 04-May-13 08:47 PM

The first two shots are what I got with my quick look the morning I received the camera. (The usual - tripod, fast shutter, timer delay etc.) Note that each is one example from three attempts with defocusing between where all three results were essentially the same. The first is the center sensor and the second is the left.
This is the same "focus target" that I used prior to sending the camera for repair. Although not a great target, all the results were consistent and repeatable prior to repair. And, I was only interested in the differential between sensors so the focus target was not of great concern since the center and right sensors handled it consistently well.
However, today I tried to repeat the set of test images that I took prior to repair and the results were not nearly as repeatable. Although the center sensor had more problems than the left or right it was much more statistical whereas prior to repair, the left was always and obviously worse. So I'm not quite sure how to interpret the trouble with the DeWalt target now when it was fine before. But, since my goal is to have a differential diagnosis test I'm inclined to ignore the current results with the DeWalt target.
So, I decided to go to a more standard test target and used the 1951 USAF printed on Epson paper. My copy is not great resolution but good enough for this. Using this target in bright sunlight, left, right and center are statistically about the same. So, unless I find in actual shooting that the center sensor gives me problems with "real" subjects, I'm inclined to stand pat with what I have. Better can be the enemy of good enough.

Also of note, my 300/2.8 went from a LensAlign value of -1 before repair to a +2 after.

Center sensor after repair (Quick look test)

Click on image to view larger version

Leftmost sensor after repair (Quick look test)

Center sensor USAF target

Leftmost sensor USAF target

Brian

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 05-May-13 01:58 AM

Your report has truly tempered my optimism, Brian. I guess we can only wait and hope now. Eric, good luck to you also. (I thought they had the fix all straightened out!!). I'll keep all informed.

Walter

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 05-May-13 01:52 PM

Your new center is my left and my center is your new left. Based on that data, I will not send my D800 in since I use center focus most of the time.

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 05-May-13 07:26 PM

There certainly does appear to be a lot more difference between center and left on the DeWalt test than the USAF target test. Did you try to replicate the DeWalt test result?

Pleeeeeze let Melville do it right, oh god of cameras and photography. My LensAlign stands at the ready....

Walter

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 05-May-13 11:00 PM

Hi Walter,

I ran the camera through a full test set using the DeWalt target four times. A pre-repair image set is in my Nikonian's gallery except it only contains a single image at each test point whereas the actual test was three shots at each point with defocusing in between. The set consists of the leftmost, center and rightmost sensor, three shots using liveview and three shots using phase detect (normal autofocus). Prior to the repair the image set was a textbook example. All the liveview and all the center and right sensor shots were good and the left phase detect was clearly off. Obviously the most desirable result would have been to repeat the test and get the same as before except with a good left sensor. So after the repair, I did a quick version of the test the morning I received the camera which is what I showed at the top of my previous post. The next day when I had more time I went through this whole set four times and the results were just inconsistent. All of the sensors missed focus some percentage of the time. The center was notably the worst one but since the others were missing as well, it just could not be used as a valid test. Why it was so consistent before, but not now I don't know, but it could just as easily be the test as the camera. My goal is to stick to differential tests where at least one sensor is rock solid. Once one gets into testing ABSOLUTE focus it gets much more complicated.
Once I switched to the USAF target the results were again consistent and all sensors were essentially the same. So, if the underlying problem is the calibration of the sensors as is the general assumption then the fact I could find a target on which all sensors were consistent and similar implies the calibration is now good.
Perhaps my curiosity will compel me to try and figure out why the DeWalt test did not work this time but if it were due to the repair there would have to be something more to the left focus problem than calibration. Now maybe that is the case, nobody knows. I do recall Ming Thein commenting that he found the focus on his repaired D800 to be less reliable than his other Nikon's.
In any event, with proper target my D800 focuses essentially as it should. That implies a good repair. At this point, the rest is disconcerting but potentially a red herring and not currently actionable.

I look forward to hearing results from you and Eric.

Brian

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 4

JimH Silver Member Charter Member
Sun 05-May-13 11:28 PM

I was still curious to know if Nikon repair (particularly Melville) finally had their act together on correcting the left focus issue.
Thanks for posting and please keep us informed. I believe, like myself there are many D800 owners still in the same boat.

Jim H.

"Things are'nt always quite as cherry, as they first seem"

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#12. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 10

Mon 06-May-13 12:48 AM

Hi Brian,

I'm wondering if the sensor differences (center = cross-type, left/right extremes = need vertical detail) could be a factor, although I don't know enough about the focusing technology to understand why.

I'll let you know what I find when the camera shows up. Fortunately, my D7100 is holding the fort nicely.

Walter

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#13. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 10

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Mon 06-May-13 10:37 AM

Great to hear your news Brian, it does sound like the fix is correct. Especially as you describe having the classic case of left-AF results beforehand and not having that now.

Perhaps the non-repeatability of results on the Dewalt test implies not enough contrast at the scene - I don't know - light levels too low or other factors may have caused this.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#14. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 10

Mon 06-May-13 10:15 PM

Brian, et. al.,

I just received an email from UPS telling me that a package from Nikon will be showing up at my house before 10:30 AM tomorrow. I have not heard this from Nikon...yet, but I do note that is out of the shop.

It looks as though I'll know my fate sooner than expected. Who'da thunk it?

Walter

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#15. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 11

Tue 07-May-13 12:27 AM

I know I am waiting and I am willing to wait almost a year since I have that much time left on the warranty.

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#16. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 15

Tue 07-May-13 12:38 AM

"I know I am waiting and I am willing to wait almost a year since I have that much time left on the warranty."

Agree totally - I sent it in with 2 - 3 weeks remaining on the warranty.

Walter

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#17. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 14

Tue 07-May-13 12:50 PM

I got the notice from UPS when Nikon still had mine listed as "Bill". On my invoice "UPS Ground" was scratched out and "O/N" was handwritten next to it.

You probably have it by now. Hope all is well.

Brian

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#18. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 16

Tue 07-May-13 05:26 PM

Well, it's here. You mean I don't sound happy? Well, I'm really not. I haven't begun my LensAlign work, but using the 3 new "G" primes, I find on outdoor shooting using multiple images with varying fine-tune focus settings, my values for the center point have changed from between +2 & -2 to + 8 to about +12 or more. Using those values, it seems the outer left focal point is either unchanged or worse.

At least 2 more sessions of testing, probably using Live View for comparison as well as the LensAlign, seems to be in the works.

And of course, to complicate matters, I broke a tooth. Off to the dentist tomorrow.

I may ask for some advice as what to say to a Nikon service rep when I call or email my dissatisfaction, if I confirm the continuing problem.

Oh, well.....

Walter

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything..

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#19. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 18

Fri 10-May-13 01:02 PM

Walter,

Have you had time to do any controlled testing to confirm your initial findings?

Brian

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#20. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 19

Fri 10-May-13 01:24 PM

Brian,

I've done some testing, but I'm getting mixed results. I'm using the new f/1.8 prime set, and with all 3 lenses, the fine tune numbers on center point have changed from about +2 to -2 to values over +15 to +20. I'm rather confused, as the target testing shows the leftmost point to be still out of focus compared with center. Doing some LensAlign testing, though, shows the degree of front focus to be less severe and less different than the target tests.. I think I'll have to call Nikon and tell them that the least they can do at this time would be to recalibrate the center point to the original numbers. Still working on the testing because of the discrepancy.

If this is confusing, it is to me also.

More later.

Walter

venusian

US
186 posts

#21. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 20

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Sat 11-May-13 10:24 AM

I would not settle for "the least they can do" at this point. Call Melville and ask for CORPORATE Customer Support, explain the problem, and tell them you want a new camera that works...that's what you paid for with your hard-earned money and you did not get that. Start with this phone number: 631-439-2670.

I'm sorry to hear of your problem, am highly disappointed in the way Nikon has handeled the left focus issue, and dread the day when I have to send my D800E in for any repairs.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#22. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 20

Sat 11-May-13 10:09 PM

Brian,

At this time, it seems that with the 50 f/1.8, that the center point focuses correctly at + 20 (it could be even a little higher, but it doesn't go there) instead of the +2 to -2 that it was before repair. The outboard left point now seems to focus at about + 10; the outboard right, probably about +15 (not as conclusive at this point).

I think Nick's advice sounds good; I just hope Nikon will understand why I'm calling corporate support, although my reasoning is that I'm getting no results with individual support with a problem that is well known and widespread affecting the great majority of the early cameras.

Thanks.

Walter

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#23. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 21

Sat 11-May-13 10:15 PM

Thank you, Nick for the advice - I hope it will work! Do you know if corporate support works Sundays? Do you think they'll care if an individual bypasses individual support? (or does the way this problem is being handled warrant it).

Walter

BOAZ632

Upper Marlboro, US
123 posts

#25. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 22

BOAZ632 Registered since 28th Aug 2010
Sun 12-May-13 02:54 PM

I sent my D800 in a few months ago and when it was returned to me, all of my prime lenses required AF tune between +10 to +15. The left focus points are very acceptable in terms of sharpness. At this point, I plan to keep my D800 as a backup to my D4. I agree that its frustating that you speed so much money for a product and it doesn't work properly.

Nikonian in Upper Marlboro, MD

ADCole
www.adcoleweddingphotoimages.com

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#26. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 22

Tue 14-May-13 12:20 AM

It's disappointing to hear of your troubles.

If your focus is outside of the ability to fine tune then you undoubtedly have a grievance. I'm assuming this now also applies to you other 1.8 primes and I would certainly emphasize to Nikon that you know this is not a lens problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to call any number you think might work. The worst they'll do is say you've called the wrong place and give you another number. If you can, always get a name. It can be useful as the process unfolds.

Brian

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#27. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 26

Tue 14-May-13 04:41 PM

Well, a ray of light has indeed penetrated the darkness. Melville has accepted the camera for repeat (warranty) repair after 2 phone calls, and sent me a prepaid UPS 2nd day Air label.

It went out this AM.

In the letter accompanying the camera (and during the second of my phone conversations), I stated that if it can't be repaired & returned to the "as-new-current-production" standard, they should send me a new late production one. Let's see what happens....

*Crossing fingers*

Walter

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10633 posts

#28. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 27

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 14-May-13 07:44 PM

My D800E was returned today. An initial set of test images using my 24-70 at 50mm shows the center sensor is still very good and the far left and far right sensors are also very good. It needs more testing, but at this point it looks like mine was repaired properly. In the initial test before repair, this same combination and focal length showed the left sensor distinctly out of focus and the right sensor slightly soft.

The notes said:
Adjusted AF Operation, Communication + Clean
Checked GWO (General Working Order)

It was repaired under warranty at no charge. Total time was 15 days (incl 4 weekend days and shipping both directions) from delivery to Nikon Authorized in Atlanta, shipping to Nikon, and return to Nikon Authorized.

Note - by dropping at Nikon Authorized I've found shipping to Nikon is also covered under warranty.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

venusian

US
186 posts

#29. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 23

Tue 14-May-13 09:47 PM

Walter,

I doubt you'll get someone on a Sunday. My reason for recommending this approach is that three years ago I had problems with several new D700 replacements. It reached a point where the 2nd one was really messed up by tech support (Melville) after two attempts at fixing it. I then turned to Corporate Customer Service and after some persistence and letter writing was awarded a new camera, which worked fine.

I'm sorry you have this problem. Nikon should not treat its customers this way, but they are. As soon as we realize that, going to Corporate sources for resolution may be the best (and only) way to handle these issues.

venusian

US
186 posts

#30. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 27

Tue 14-May-13 09:52 PM

Good luck with upcoming repair. If it fails, I can provide you with the Corporate number I called and a (VP) name if need be. I actually called Nikon corporate in CA because I read at that time that they were highly thought of. The corporate VP authorized the new replacement, which was issued by Melville, since I live in this area.

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#31. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 28

Tue 14-May-13 10:07 PM

Eric,

Good to hear your repair went well.

For reference, my notes were essentially the same:
ADJ Auto Focus Operation
CKD Communication
CLN CCD
General Check & Clean

I sent mine direct by UPS but since my D800 is under a personal articles policy I didn't have to get the insurance so the cost was only $11. Repaired under warranty and return overnight shipping was covered by Nikon. My time was 15 days as well (Shipped Fri - Received Fri).

Brian

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#32. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 30

Wed 15-May-13 12:17 AM

Thank you Nick & Eric - I hope I won't need that name & number, but I'm glad that it can be made available.

I didn't need to insure this time; Nikon sprung for the UPS, but I also just realized that all my cameras are covered under a collector's policy as well as homeowner's insurance. So the previous UPS insurance I took out was a waste.

I'll keep you informed, and, again, thanks,

Walter

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#33. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 32

Tue 21-May-13 02:12 PM

This time, it's a "B2" repair (moderate repair; major parts replaced).

Like maybe a new focusing unit?

Walter

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#34. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 30

Tue 28-May-13 11:11 PM

Hi Nick & any interested parties,

Although the camera has not left Nikon Melville yet, the status report showed order status at "bill" and a new sentence in the Problem section states, "NO PROBLEM FOUND NO REDO." This frankly is BS, so...
I immediately called Nikon and the person I spoke to was somewhat evasive, but she seemed to say that some work was actually performed. In theory, shipping should occur so to have it arrive at my Northern address June 3rd - the first weekday I'll be back there. Wanna bet?

Not optimistic, but I'll be testing shortly thereafter. I'll let the blog know. Fortunately, the D7100 works like a charm.

Walter

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#35. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 34

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 02-Jun-13 11:49 AM

I am about to recieve a D800e from Nikon Repair in LA for evaluation.
The trade is D7100 + cash if I keep the camera.

Which lens is better for testing:
50mm f/1.8, 14-24, 17-35, AF-S 80-200?

Should I shoot wide open f/1.8 or F/2.8?

What shutter speed?

Frankly I would rather have a camera that works exceptionally well on the center spot,
than one that works OK across all of them.

I will be comparing images shot with my D800,
so I may put a 28-300 on each of them and shoot side by side.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#36. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 35

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sun 02-Jun-13 12:29 PM

Hi Roger,

Some testing instructions from Thom Hogan here, I'm guessing you've seen this before:

http://www.bythom.com/D800autofocus.htm

Keep us posted, I for one would be interested in your D7100 vs. D800E which-camera-to-select thinking, regardless of which way you decide.

Don't forget to cast forward to a possible D400 in the fall. If Mansurov is correct in speculating 60p video capability, that may be a real must-have show stopper for video for people like you and I

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#37. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 36

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 02-Jun-13 01:00 PM

Steve
Thanks for the link.
I will study/restudy it before attempting a test.
Typically all I do is hit the AF-ON button while
moving the focus spot and looking thru the ViewFinder.

I would only be interested in the D400 for Video.
I have lost my lust for long shots, now wider is better.
It will have to be 16-18 MP and have a lot of improved features
to beat out the D7100 for the no doubt higher price.
It might even have the new Sony 20MP sensor.

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#38. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 37

Tue 04-Jun-13 05:21 PM

Roger,

Given the lenses you list, I would opt for the 50/1.8 for the testing. You could use the 14-24 or 17-35 but then you'll need a large target to conduct the test at any normal shooting distances. I used a 24/1.4 and a 50/1.4. I was able to see it with the 50/1.4 at 1.4 and although I didn't do it, I have little doubt 1.8 would have been good enough. If you have the problem, you should notice it reasonably well with the 50/1.8. Test shots are in my gallery.

Shoot wide open, high shutter, tripod etc. All the normal precautions to eliminate other causes of poor sharpness. Since it is a differential test, it is easy to diagnose. Center should be best and left and right essentially the same, maybe or maybe not as good as center. If one is not like the others, then you probably have a problem. (If none are good then its probably the test setup.)

Brian

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#39. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 34

Fri 07-Jun-13 03:36 PM

Hi Nick and Interested Parties,

The D800 has been returned, although just an hour before I left for D.C., so no serious testing could be performed. I did however, bring my 24-70 and 85 f/1.8 with me and did some crude evaluation. I'm not positive, but the camera has not been totally repaired, although I do see perhaps an improvement. However, the previous lens used for testing was the 50 f/1.8, so results are not quite comparable.

What bothers me is the sending of the form letter stating that they couldn't find any problem and the lens might be the problem (neglecting the fact that before the 1st repair, it was close to perfect (+/- 2 fine focus setting). This brush-off is, frankly total B.S.

So if Nick or anyone else can provide me with a phone # or managerial type person to contact at Nikon, it would be MOST appreciated. PM or email if you prefer.

I will note that the camera can be used at this time.
Walter

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#40. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 39

Fri 28-Jun-13 04:55 PM

Walter

It's been a while since I've posted so I'll bore you (and warn you also) with the continuing saga.

More precise testing when I returned from DC showed that no additional repair had been performed and the camera focusing remained more out of spec than before its first repair. Shortly after, I used some email and phone information received from a kindly fellow Nikonian, but nothing panned out. A direct call to Nikon Corporate yielded a conversation with a very sympathetic operator who transferred me to the corporate service manager. She was not in, but next morning I received a email from an assistant mgr (I think) who mentioned her receipt of the message and sent me a UPS label to returning the camera for reevaluation.

I also sent email images of my Lens Align testing (pretty clear cut proof, I thought) to Nikon, but I've heard nothing from them since the day I sent them, although he did say that he was send the camera to a tech to determine why . He mentioned something about focusing differences in low light and sunshine may be the problem. Well, this is not an answer I would expect, so I sent on my own, images of some tests done in daylight which demonstrated the exact same focus pattern as the LensAlign tests (if the Center spot focuses at +20 (or more) using fine tune, the left spot focuses at about +5 and the right, 0.

I am awaiting a reply.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#41. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 38

Fri 28-Jun-13 05:48 PM

My new (to me) D800e was returned from LA with no issues what-so-ever.
My testing with three charts, camera on TriPod and 50mm at F/1.8.
The images showed no difference when zoomed on my 30" HD Monitor.

The camera was neatly packed with a work order of extensive testing and adjustments.
It appears and I hope they got their act together after moving from El Segundo.

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#42. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 41

Sat 29-Jun-13 01:12 AM

Maybe I should send it there, if they'll let me....

Thanks,

Walter

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#43. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 40

Sat 29-Jun-13 12:58 PM

These experiences are making me really hesitant to send in my D800, but I still have 9 or 10 months left of my year.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#44. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 42

Sat 29-Jun-13 01:23 PM

>Maybe I should send it there, if they'll let me....
>
>Thanks,
>
>Walter
>

My D800E Invoice Repair shows B2 (not B1).
ADJ Auto Focus operation
CKD Focus Tracking
CKD Image Test
CKD Shutter Release
CKD Zooming Mechanism
General Check & Clean

cost $0

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#45. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 44

Sat 29-Jun-13 02:10 PM

The second time it was sent, it was marked as a B2 repair also, but then they insisted that they found nothing wrong, and so, returned it.
We'll see what happens this time.

Walter

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3383 posts

#46. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 29-Jun-13 04:25 PM

I wonder if Nikon realizes that between this focus issue that they seem to acknowledge, and the D700 hot shoe problem, which they refuse to accept ownership of, they are emptying the magazine down their pant leg -- shooting themselves in the foot. This should not be happening with cameras that cost $2500-3000 new.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#47. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 46

Sat 29-Jun-13 04:45 PM

>I wonder if Nikon realizes that between this focus issue that
>they seem to acknowledge, and the D700 hot shoe problem, which
>they refuse to accept ownership of, they are emptying the
>magazine down their pant leg -- shooting themselves in the
>foot. This should not be happening with cameras that cost
>$2500-3000 new.<<<

I personally think you are right on.

However there is one consideration that we shooters have not discussed.
It they acknowledge all these as defects,
there will be an open floodgate return of cameras that are not defective along with the few that are.

What would you do if you were Nikon?

First I would acknowledge that some cameras may have a problem.
Then I would at least require some testing before a return is authorized.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3383 posts

#48. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 47

Sun 30-Jun-13 09:31 AM | edited Sun 30-Jun-13 09:38 AM by ajdooley

Roger - That's a thoughtful response to my rant. I also didn't include, I am an NPS member (until they drop me for saying things like this) and cannot elicit a response -- a Hi, a Boo or a simple direction as to where I can go. This is not a good business plan. Don't get me wrong. I have used basically nothing but Nikons since I got my Dad's Nikon S 50 years ago and I have gotten amazing results. But I'll say it again: Nikon refuses to communicate when there are problems -- to advise people on how to check to see if it is the camera or themselves -- anything. I was shocked when they owned up to the focus issues on the D800/800e family. I have one, which appears fine and another incoming next week. So I hope the troops in Sendai have this sorted out by now.

But back to the D700 hot shoes: I use nothing but Nikon SB-800 flashes and am currently having a third hot show replaced on one of my two D700 bodies. My cure, which I will continue with the D800 cameras, is a flash bracket that takes the load off the hot shoe and improves lighting -- but adds weight and bulk.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

#49. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 48

PeterBeckett Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010
Mon 01-Jul-13 11:04 AM

Hi Alan,
This is NOT critical in any way...

You often offer sage advice and comments regarding the D800/E (of which I have a couple, and couldn't be much happier), so I wondered what gear you have. Maybe you'd like to update your "equipment list" as it seems you "only" have a D700!

Please keep up the good work.

Pete

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#50. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 45

Tue 16-Jul-13 01:20 AM

Well, the D800 has returned from its 3rd service. This service was mediated through a service mgr (not the director, although she appointed him to contact me directly). It seems that Nikon still cannot find any significant abnormality in the focusing system, although my contact does admit that my images do show definite front focusing problems at the center point when the left point is correct. There was a bit of weaseling (sometimes the focusing is not accurate in poor lighting, I should use only the lenses recommended for the D800, etc. etc.) but he did realize my frustration and could see my point. They did do some "tweaking" before return, but I have not been able to test fully using the protocol that he himself suggests (it's a good one) because I'm away. Since I did take the D800 with me, I was able to shoot about 100+ images using the center focus point, AF-S. I must admit that they look awful good, sharp, great color - all you could ask for - so the camera is certainly usable but, for now, only at the center point.

When I get the chance to retest next week using the requested protocol, we'll see how things shape up. For now, I can only review the 9 pages of emails we sent to each other and take some more images.

The end of the story approaches....but the ending remains in doubt.

Walter

The older you get, the better you were.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3383 posts

#51. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 49

Tue 16-Jul-13 09:11 AM | edited Tue 16-Jul-13 09:15 AM by ajdooley

Pete - I missed your comment. You make an excellent point. As of last week, I have two D800 bodies and am preparing to sell two D700 bodies. I'll make sure my equipment list is up to date. It certainly lends a dash of credibility when we actually own and use items we are discussing and aren't just repeating what we have read or heard.

I'm back - just added the D800 bodies!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

#52. "RE: D800 Returning from Melville: Left Focus" | In response to Reply # 51

PeterBeckett Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010
Tue 16-Jul-13 12:03 PM

LOL!

Pete

G