Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9070 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sat 27-Apr-13 11:49 AM

Has anyone tried this AND liked it?

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/focustune.html

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16976 posts

#1. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sat 27-Apr-13 10:55 AM

Me. I find it works well, and I like its simplicity.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9070 posts

#2. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 1

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sat 27-Apr-13 11:41 AM

Good enough for me! I like its price.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#3. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Sat 27-Apr-13 12:55 PM

Looks like something I will buy. It states it works with printed files too, so I can find a technical drawing in one of my textbooks that would work perfect.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

n7vy

Mesa, Arizona, US
127 posts

#4. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 3

n7vy Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Apr 2009
Sat 27-Apr-13 05:51 PM

I have it and use it. Takes a bit to get going but it works well (especially on my 8 core and 32GB ram). Give it a try.

Cheap is relative to desire

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Toby01

El Sobrante, US
278 posts

#5. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 0

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012
Sat 27-Apr-13 09:13 PM

Yes, I have it and have used it successfully on several lenses. It takes a little time to set up the camera and target properly (hint: use two tripods), but once you have the setup done right, it seems to be very accurate. It works much better with large aperture lenses because the small DOF makes it easy to see when you are getting your focus adjustment correct.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9070 posts

#6. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 27-Apr-13 09:27 PM | edited Sun 28-Apr-13 10:36 AM by ScottChapin

Brian,

I take it you are using Lens Align?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4576 posts

#7. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 6

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 28-Apr-13 10:12 AM | edited Sun 28-Apr-13 10:15 AM by richardd300

Scott.

Please bear with me as my experiences with both FocusTune used with LensAlign are very different from others and needs some explanation. Firstly, I had no reason to check my lenses as to me all was fine, I did the testing because others were and I don't like being left out and joking apart, I have a thirst for knowledge

I have no doubt whatsoever that these products are good at what they do, but didn't work for me sadly. Before I come onto the why's, let me talk about the setup procedures.

If you have the time and much patience the testing must be conducted in my view under almost laboratory conditions. As a previous poster has mentioned you are best using two tripods, one for the camera, one for the target. The height of the cameras focus point must be identical to the centre of the FocusTune target so the centre red dot is seen. Also, the camera and target must be level in both horizontal and pitch. For the Lighting I used a 300 watt halogen outside spotlight. Also, ensure a remote lead and Mup is used.

I did this for all my lenses, prime and zoom (more about zooms later). I should say at this point I have over 40 years experience in electronic instrumentation testing to a tolerance of +- 0.1%, so I know how important it is to have the right conditions. The results of the tests left me confused! In what ways:

I repeated tests under exactly the same conditions and received different results! Not tiny differences, but in some cases up to 5 or even 7 AF-Focus fine tune recommended variations. Now zooms and sorry to bore other readers as I always bang on about this. It is probably sensible to only check a zoom at it's most used focal length (effectively it's then a prime lens). I did to my 70-200mm f2.8 and FocusTune told me at 70mm it required a fine tune of +5, however at 200mm this was given as +20. There are those who recommend for a zoom one can set an average between the minimum and maximum focal length, I'm not sure that's satisfactory.

Since my earlier tests with my D800 I have recently repeated them with my D7100 and the results were as confusing as before. What worried me mostly was the lack of repeatability.

Finally, I have now abandoned all lens AF-Fine tuning. I will say however, there are dozens of folks on here and elsewhere who whole heatedly applaud both FocusTune and LensAlign. Therefore I must accept that perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Now, how do I test my lenses. If I have a concern and that is very rare and usually because my technique failed me a few times, I use a flat ISO approved target at set distances. I repeat the tests in both handheld and tripod conditions. If I had a front or back focus issue I would use the LensAlign ruler (or even perhaps the much maligned Spyder LensCal) to diagnose a problem. To date I have not ever done that.

This has been a much protracted post, but those are my experiences, but please do not think for one minute I am critising any of Michael Tape's products.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9070 posts

#8. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 7

Sun 28-Apr-13 12:05 PM

Richard,

Thank you for your thoughts! I fear that I might be going down a road without a conclusion too. The manual says don't use fine tuning because it causes errors in minimum and infinite focus settings, so it makes me wonder.

I am obsessive compulsive with accuracy. When two digital clocks don't read the same within 1 second, it irritates me...LOL. My wife says that if I am not good and go to hell, Satan will put me in a room full of clocks and no two will read the same.

That being said, I wonder whether this process of lens calibration will make me a little bit more frustrated than satisfied. Repeatability concerns me too. If all the conditions are right including a steady battery powered light source and the focus wanders, what am I checking...a little reduction in typical error?

I'm also considering LensAlign. That makes me wonder why not use it alone. Can't you visually and quickly see where the sharpest adjustments are and hone in on that as opposed to checking several groups of 5 unit intervals along the entire range? Also, wouldn't the visual check on the ruler give you a quicker answer that's realistically as good as it can get?

The instructions with FocusTune indicate that centering the lens axis with the target is not critical, but having the plane of the target parallel to the sensor's plane is. If that is not true, using a paper target seems futile.

I've been a little long winded, I know.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16976 posts

#9. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 8

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sun 28-Apr-13 12:18 PM | edited Sun 28-Apr-13 12:24 PM by walkerr

I'll just say that I don't find either the Lens Align or Focus Tune difficult to set up, use and get repeatable results. It's much quicker and easier to use Focus Tune to examine images for maximum sharpness than to do it myself. Having it do multiple samples (the manual recommends ten per fine tuning setting) reduces the effects of random error, which you'll see on some of its plots. On the other hand, the recommended fine tuning amounts with my current lenses and cameras aren't extreme - pretty minor.

Full disclosure: I don't obsess about minor variations in settings, so my experiences and tolerances may be different than others. If I get close, I'm happy and then move on.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9070 posts

#10. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 28-Apr-13 12:26 PM

I think I'll order a LensAlign too, just to make it easier and more visual, since you can see focus on the ruler.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4576 posts

#11. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 10

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 28-Apr-13 12:32 PM

<<That being said, I wonder whether this process of lens calibration will make me a little bit more frustrated than satisfied.>>

Very true, a kind of "if it ain't broken, don't try fixing it"

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Herbc

US
75 posts

#12. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 11

Herbc Registered since 10th May 2012
Sun 28-Apr-13 01:43 PM

Sounds like something I can use. Problem is my mac
won't allow it to open, says it doesn't know the developer.

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16976 posts

#13. "RE: FocusTune" | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 28-Apr-13 02:15 PM

Right-click the application and then select "Open". You'll only have to do it one time.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

G