Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only

Marshallarts

UK
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Marshallarts Registered since 23rd Apr 2013
Tue 23-Apr-13 09:42 PM

Hi all, my first post...

My D800 recently started to 'stick' on the center focus point only. i.e.. The camera is set to 51 points but the center focus won't move - the multi-selector works in every other way as normal. I don't recall doing anything that would have changed that from full 51 point access

I figured it was a setting in the cam that I had inadvertently changed but I've been through all menus and searched widely on the web but as far as I can tell I can find no mention of this 'feature' so I can only assume that either A. I'm an idiot; or B. something has malfunctioned.

I'm quite willing to accept that option A is correct, as long as I can get my camera operating again :) I'm hoping it's not a malfunction!

Thanks for your suggestions

Paul

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13629 posts

#1. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Tue 23-Apr-13 08:37 PM

Welcome to Nikonians Paul!

There is a lever switch around the multi-selector. If the white mark is in the position next to the letter L then the focus points are locked. This is there so to avoid having the focus point accidently moved by the photographers cheek.

I hope this is it.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#2. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Tue 23-Apr-13 08:44 PM

Welcome to Nikonians Paul!

I hope Dave solved the problem. You are not an idiot. Like all of us, there are things we are unfamiliar with, but we are not idiots..

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

Marshallarts

UK
28 posts

#3. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 23-Apr-13 08:46 PM

Hi Dave,

thanks for your welcome and reply - It was my option A!

We have a phrase here in Northern Ireland - 'Feckin Eejit' - I'm one of them.

I'm a happy (but slightly embarrassed) camper now, thank you Sir

Pint owed :)

Paul

Marshallarts

UK
28 posts

#4. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 2

Tue 23-Apr-13 08:51 PM

>Welcome to Nikonians Paul!
>
>I hope Dave solved the problem. You are not an idiot. Like all
>of us, there are things we are unfamiliar with, but we are not
>idiots..

Hi Scott

I dunno, it feels that way sitting here - I had a feeling I was missing the bleedin' obvious as is usually the case when you find that no other user has asked about it on a Google search.wood...trees....

I suppose I got used to a limited range of uses to match my needs, I'm happy to be educated. It's a poor day when I don't learn something!

Love my D800...

Thanks chaps

P

golfercat

Menifee, US
236 posts

#5. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 3

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012
Tue 23-Apr-13 09:27 PM

Paul, Don't fe el bad as I had the same issue with my D700 until I became familar with it. Something I had missed when reading the manual. No doubt, we are both in good company.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tekneektom

Kohler, US
2003 posts

#6. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 0

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011
Tue 23-Apr-13 09:54 PM

Paul,

Welcome to Nikonians. An idiot wouldn't have asked the question, rather they would have learned to work around the problem by having all objects centered so they'd be in focus!

Capture some great images with your 800.

Tom

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13629 posts

#7. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 3

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Tue 23-Apr-13 09:56 PM

No worries – the same thing happened to me before. These things are not always very intuitive.

Dave Summers

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#8. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 4

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Tue 23-Apr-13 11:04 PM | edited Tue 23-Apr-13 11:05 PM by nrothschild

>> when you find that no other user has asked about it on a Google search

You probably didn't quite get the search terms right. This is a very frequently asked question here . Trust me, you are in good company!

Edit: welcome to Nikonians!!

my Nikonians gallery.

KerryS

Sedro Woolley, WA, US
270 posts

#9. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 3

KerryS Registered since 30th Nov 2012
Wed 24-Apr-13 01:34 AM

If you are an idiot you are in good company. I have done this a couple of times and some of those time I forgot to check the focus lock. After missing a few shots I learned to look at the lock first.

Herbc

US
75 posts

#10. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 9

Herbc Registered since 10th May 2012
Wed 24-Apr-13 11:41 AM

I have been a serious photographer/pro since the Eisenhower admin. I still make silly mistakes, with cameras I have had about since Ike was here. Never mind the new D800E with all its bells and whistles.

We were shooting a debutante the other day and could not figure out why the shutter speed kept changing- finally, camera was set to bracket-duh again!

Marshallarts

UK
28 posts

#11. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 10

Wed 24-Apr-13 06:43 PM

Thanks al for your help and very kind welcomes - I know my camera relatively well for the stuff I use day in and day out, but with all the bells, whistles and menus I missed the simple little manual lever - D'oh.

I've subscribed with a silver membership now and added a few details to my profile as well as a few images into my gallery.

Thanks again for everyone's help & generosity of spirit

Paul

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/PaulMarshallPhotographer

Marshallarts

UK
28 posts

#12. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 24-Apr-13 06:47 PM

>>> when you find that no other user has asked about it
>on a Google search
>
>You probably didn't quite get the search terms right. This is
>a very frequently asked question here . Trust me, you are
>in good company!
>
>Edit: welcome to Nikonians!!

Hi Neil - the answer must have been swamped in thousands of left-focus posts - mention center focus at all and the tidal wave hits. I tried many variations and ways of describing it.

I've learned over the years that if I can't find my problem shared by others on Google, the problem tends to be me Quad erat demonstrandum

Thanks again

P

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/PaulMarshallPhotographer

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13629 posts

#13. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 24-Apr-13 07:10 PM | edited Wed 24-Apr-13 07:11 PM by dm1dave

>> "I've subscribed with a silver membership now..."

Thank you for your support!

I am sure that you will find Nikonians to helpful and polite. I owe a great debt to this community for all that I have learned here.

Dave Summers

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#14. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 12

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Wed 24-Apr-13 07:20 PM | edited Wed 24-Apr-13 07:21 PM by nrothschild

>> I've learned over the years that if I can't find my problem shared by others on Google, the problem tends to be me Quad erat demonstrandum

Usually that would be a good assumption . And I have had occasions where I could not find a problem I was having and, like you, I made me think at least twice.

I was thinking before I posted that it would be a tough search. There are certain things like this that are simply hard to filter. At some point you just gotta ask, and we are always here!

As was said previously, these are incredibly complicated machines. Your camera manual, from pages 2-13, list 189 different buttons, switches, gadgets and other notable physical features, plus all the things that show up in the viewfinder, the top LCD and the back LCD.

(yes, I just counted 'em up!)

And many of those things only show up if one of the other hundred buttons are pressed or you go into some certain mode. That's a lot of stuff to keep track of!

Edit: and that does not count any of the (how many?) menu settings!

my Nikonians gallery.

KerryS

Sedro Woolley, WA, US
270 posts

#15. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 10

KerryS Registered since 30th Nov 2012
Wed 24-Apr-13 08:42 PM

>
>We were shooting a debutante the other day and could not
>figure out why the shutter speed kept changing- finally,
>camera was set to bracket-duh again!

Ha! I've done that one also. LOL.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#16. "RE: D800 'stuck' on Center Focus Only" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 25-Apr-13 10:07 AM

Paul - Back in the 1990s I was the public affairs officer for Vice Admiral Stan Arthur, Commander of the US 7th Fleet. The admiral had a small, hand-lettered piece of paper taped on the front of his desk in his office on the flagship. It read: "Too many moving parts." What he meant was that life was just absolutely too full of options, variables and alternatives to be taken lightly. Nikon has introduced even more of those "demons" with the D800/800e series of cameras. They just keep getting "more moving parts!"

That's why every Nikon owner should be a Nikonian too -- somebody here has found what a moving part on each and every Nikon does and how to bring it under control. And they are eager to share this with the rest of us!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

G