Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Simultaneous Use of Cable Release & GPS

texspeel

Fairfax Station, US
391 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
texspeel Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011
Sun 21-Apr-13 10:34 PM

Admin - please move if this is not the correct place for the post.
In about a month, I'm going to a national park and, among other things will be shooting landscapes with my D800. I'll need to use a cable release in the 10 pin connector, but also want to use my Nikon GP-1 GPS which also uses the 10 pin connector. Is there a Nikon or 3rd party accesory that will allow me to use both simultaneously?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Best regards,
Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#1. "RE: Simultaneous Use of Cable Release & GPS" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 21-Apr-13 09:32 PM

From Nikon USA support "The GP-1 has an accessory terminal that supports the use of the MC-DC2 Remote Release." The MC-DC2 is not a 10 pin device, instead it plugs directly into the GP-1. It is sold separately for $25

Most, maybe all, the aftermarket GPS devices also have a connection for a wired cable release. Usually the connection is made using a small stereo plug like the one on many portable audio device headphones. Sometimes this remote is included with the GPS, some times it must be purchased separately. This type of release is available in many camera stores.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

texspeel

Fairfax Station, US
391 posts

#2. "RE: Simultaneous Use of Cable Release & GPS" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 21-Apr-13 10:15 PM

Gary,
Many thanks for the info. You made my day. Looks like something that needs to go on my acquisition list to get before the trip.
Thanks again!
Best regards,
Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

n7vy

Mesa, Arizona, US
127 posts

#3. "RE: Simultaneous Use of Cable Release & GPS" | In response to Reply # 2

n7vy Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Apr 2009
Mon 22-Apr-13 12:06 AM

There is a splitter in the pro shop here at Nikonians. It's not cheap but it works fine. I think it is about $45.00.

Cheap is relative to desire

texspeel

Fairfax Station, US
391 posts

#4. "RE: Simultaneous Use of Cable Release & GPS" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 22-Apr-13 09:56 AM

Thanks! I'll take a look. I was hoping to get one possible solution, and I've got two. Appreciate the feedback.
Best regards,
Tom

G