Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Another minor mishap with my D800e....

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Tue 16-Apr-13 12:34 AM

Yesterday I was shooting for fun with my two cameras while both were hanging on my sides. At one point I picked up D800e and it wouldn't auto focus. I could still take the picture though and everything seems to function but no AF. I had 24-120mm lens on.
Obviously I have tried all the buttons and switches and still nothing.
The only thing I did not do is to turn the camera off and on.
At some point while playing with all of this I zoomed the lens and lo and behold camera started focusing again.
This was the first time this happened. I am on the latest firmware.
Obviously I can't reproduce this behavior again otherwise I could send it in.

Anyone seen anything like it? At least I was shooting for fun when it happened but what if it happened while I am on the red carpet?
I would be very pissed!!!!!

Richcower

US
327 posts

#1. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 0

Richcower Registered since 22nd Jan 2013
Mon 15-Apr-13 10:51 PM

if you can't reproduce it, i'd dismiss it as an oddity and move on.

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13750 posts

#2. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Mon 15-Apr-13 11:42 PM

I wander if the lens was not quite full seated and twisting the zoom ring moved the lens just enough to get full electrical contact?

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#3. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 2

Mon 15-Apr-13 11:49 PM

>I wander if the lens was not quite full seated and twisting
>the zoom ring moved the lens just enough to get full
>electrical contact?

The lens was seated because prior to that I took many pictures.
There is a parallel thread where people complaining that their lenses stopped AF. I wonder maybe it is not the camera.

JECoutre

Concord, US
376 posts

#4. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 3

JECoutre Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008
Tue 16-Apr-13 12:41 AM

I'll relate a previous users experience ... he had apparently partially depressed the Lens Release button.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#5. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 16-Apr-13 06:04 AM

>I wonder if the lens was not quite full seated and twisting
>the zoom ring moved the lens just enough to get full
>electrical contact?

That sounds like a definite possibility.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JCY88

US
193 posts

#6. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 5

JCY88 Registered since 24th Aug 2012
Tue 16-Apr-13 10:27 AM

I remember to have similar problem when using heavier lenses like 70-200vr if I did not hold or support the lens with my hands.

jeffcs

Whiting, US
124 posts

#7. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 6

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Tue 16-Apr-13 11:45 PM

I had this on an earlier film Ac Nikon after going crazy as this was intermittent
Weeks went by as it became more frequent and started to happen with different lenses
Check and clean the body and lens contacts
That fixed it than and I keep them all clean to this day
Only use a soft cloth nothing abrasive
Good luck
Jeff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

zumbado

North Potomac, US
93 posts

#8. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 7

zumbado Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004
Wed 17-Apr-13 11:53 AM

I agree with Jeff. What I use is a clean pencil eraser. I have had this problem with other cameras - D700 and D300, but not yet on the D800. However, a friend had this problem with a D800E and it was fixed with the eraser.

Juan

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#9. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 0

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012
Wed 17-Apr-13 12:57 PM

Hi Eugene, Not long ago I got my D3 back from its third trip to Nikon to get it to autofocus reliably. It would autofocus most of the time but then would hang for a series of attempts -- always, of course, at the worst possible moment, then break loose and work again. Since it was an intermittent it was hard for the Nikon crew to replicate the problem. It was getting progressively worse though, and finally somebody there found spotted it, replaced some parts, and fixed it. It started out with a single hang that didn't repeat for some time, so keep watching. If it happens again you might want to send it in before it gets too bad.

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#10. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 9

Fri 19-Apr-13 04:10 AM

I will definitely keep an eye on it. I don't think lens moved from the mount because I did grab it few times. I even tried to focus manually.
I will also clean the contacts because I change lenses quite often.
I just hope it is not new firmware that is responsible for this behavior.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#11. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 10

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 19-Apr-13 05:30 AM

After checking for lens seating, which creates a problem more with sling straps due to hanging by one's side, the next check point when it happens is to turn off the camera and back one. If there is a software execution problem(probably not a code problem or else we would all have it), rebooting clears many problems whether a complex camera or your cell phone or microwave oven.

The advice to clean contacts with abrasive pencil eraser is very poor.
Scratching the gold alloy plated contacts will guarantee future contact problems with increased pitting and higher resistance, intermittent contacts. If contacts are intermittent, it is because either mechanical misalignment(not making contact) or the insulating effects of oxidation. Oxidation is not dirt so does not respond to solvents and only works with abrasives by grinding down the very thin plating.
Oxidation can be more common with lenses that do not get changed often or sitting in the bag without a cover. The normal action of mounting and unmounting a lens should keep the oxidation layer thickness lower than that which would prevent electrons from migrating across the thin oxide layer that coats the external surfaces of almost all metals.
When the oxide of the metal used in the gold alloy gets thick enough, 6-10 molecules thick electrons have a harder time making the jump, and much thicker and the oxide becomes a very effective insulator.
How to de-oxidize the contacts? Use a deoxidizing chemical that has a higher attraction to the surface oxygen than the base metal does. A common de-oxidizer is Caig Laboratories D-5 DeOxit. A tiny amount will remove the oxide without harming the metal at all. A bit on a Q-Tip will be enough to keep oxide from forming for 6-12 months. Any electronics supply house will have it. Do not let a salesman talk you into "contact cleaner" which is a strong solvent and increases oxidation.
All the mentions on the forum about using 3rd party grips or batteries voiding the Nikon warranty are wrong and plain silly but using an eraser on gold contacts really should void the warranty because it is clear abuse. If the tech looks at the contacts with a loop, he will clearly see the signs of abuse and has every right to deny coverage.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#12. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 11

Fri 19-Apr-13 10:31 PM

>After checking for lens seating, which creates a problem more
>with sling straps due to hanging by one's side,

But I always use sling straps for many years now and this never happened before.

>
>The advice to clean contacts with abrasive pencil eraser is
>very poor.

But millions of people doing it without any problems I have heard off. In fact this is a first time I "hear" this from you that it is a bad advice.

>Scratching the gold alloy plated contacts

Unless they use white gold contacts are not gold.
Furthermore, eraser usually removes oxidation. No scratching involves.

I also have a contact cleaner I can put on lint free piece of material. Can I clean with that?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#13. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 11

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 20-Apr-13 07:19 AM

>The advice to clean contacts with abrasive pencil eraser is
>very poor.

Agreed. It's really not a good idea.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

chuckbernard

San Francisco, US
23 posts

#14. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 12

chuckbernard Registered since 30th Dec 2009
Sat 20-Apr-13 01:00 PM

I've had this happen a couple of times with large lenses. I was nearly in a panic thinking that the camera had gone belly up. Moving the lens slightly towards the locked-in position solves it every time. I think it comes down to how I had been holding the gear and not a problem with the camera. I've been more aware of where there release button is when hanging the camera to my side.

FFN

Hudson, US
1196 posts

#15. "RE: Another minor mishap with my D800e...." | In response to Reply # 4

FFN Gold Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Sun 21-Apr-13 09:13 PM

That could have been me. With heavier lenses, I found I was gripping the camera more and my finger was getting on the lens release button. When you press it, the camera will not focus - in my case. In addition to touching the lens release button, I was accidentally rotating the lens a slight bit, making it not focus. After I realized what I was doing, I changed my grip and it never happened again.

Visit JamesDane.Com.

G