Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 14-Apr-13 12:47 PM

I'm interested in your primary use for the camera. The amazing D800 and D800E bodies have been on the market for over a year. Despite a certain percentage which caused some headaches, the camera remains the market leader in its class. Whatever Nikon originally intended with the design, as photographers and buyers of the D800/800E, we're the ones who actually determine how the camera can and should be used in the real world.

I thought it would be interesting to find out how D800/800E usage actually breaks down. Although we all use the D800/800E for a variety of purposes, I'm interested in your primary use for the camera.

Thank you for participating in the poll.

Poll result (190 votes)
Studio Photography - portraits, fashion, products, catalog
(8 votes)Vote
Private Events - weddings, ceremonies, parties, family
(14 votes)Vote
Public Events - news, photojournalism, exhibitions, performance
(9 votes)Vote
Landscape - nature, underwater, rural, suburban, urban, travel
(114 votes)Vote
Wildlife - land animals, birds, fish, anything that isn't human
(27 votes)Vote
Street - people, architecture, life, travel
(18 votes)Vote

NateGasparro

CA
4 posts

#1. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

NateGasparro Registered since 14th Apr 2013
Sun 14-Apr-13 12:23 PM

I'm new to Nikonians, but couldn't resist voting in this poll. I voted for Landscape because most of my travel involves getting in as much landscape photography as I can. The D800 has been great, but I had to make friends with a good tripod and ballhead to get the most out of it.

Nate

tenorman

US
74 posts

#2. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

tenorman Registered since 06th Oct 2008
Sun 14-Apr-13 12:54 PM

The vast majority of my available venue in my current life situation is event photography, which I enjoy immensely. My boys are younger and I'm a Scout leader so my time is limited where I can do photography and I combine my activities with my photography. I'm also in the process of setting up a home studio to do portraits as well. The D800 is great for most events that aren't sport-related, and my D700 is still getting use as the go-to camera for sports with its higher frame rate in continuous mode.

I'm going to take my D800 on next scout camping trip with my sons vice the D3100 for a change...am going to see if can wander off for an hour to try out some landscape and nature photography.

Photography is a great hobby/passion for any season of life.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#3. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Sun 14-Apr-13 02:08 PM | edited Sun 14-Apr-13 02:08 PM by mklass

Howard,

Of your choices, landscape would be the best fit for me. However, I have found that the D800 is my go to camera for macro photography and I have also used it very successfully for commercial real estate photography. Clients love the sharpness, detail, dynamic range and large files for use in production of promotional materials.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#4. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 3

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 14-Apr-13 02:26 PM | edited Sun 14-Apr-13 02:28 PM by RRRoger

You need to add Video and all of the above.

My current primary use is for the Church Service Videography (40%).
I had to use my second choice Private Events (35%) which almost fits an Event Photographer,
except some of these might be classified as public events.
But I also use it for Landscape and Architecture (20%),
and other (5%).

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2318 posts

#5. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 4

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Sun 14-Apr-13 03:32 PM

You should probably add Sports as well.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#6. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 4

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 14-Apr-13 03:34 PM

Good point Roger, but I deliberately left a direct mention of video off the selection list. I believe that video using DSLR bodies is important and that people are doing good and sometimes great things with it. But I am also deliberately not covering every possible use in this poll - the major still photography usage only.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#7. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 14-Apr-13 03:36 PM

Noted. Thanks Mick. I'll keep track of all the macro mentions and video mentions in the thread and in PMs.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Henry64

DK
142 posts

#8. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 7

Henry64 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2008
Sun 14-Apr-13 06:29 PM

I do sports (trackdays) for money, landscape, portraits nature and wildlife for fun and pleasure. Don't know where to vote, so you can decide that

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#9. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 8

Sun 14-Apr-13 06:44 PM

Cool, but I can't vote for you - the poll app doesn't work that way. But I think we all do a variety of photography. I'd like to to know what you do most often. It doesn't matter if it's done for remuneration or not - just what you do most. If track shooting occupies most of your time, vote for Public Events. If landscape, nature and wildlife occupies most of your available shooting time, vote for Landscape. If portraits occupy most of your shooting time choose Studio. Hope this helps.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#10. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Sun 14-Apr-13 07:11 PM

I am ordering one in a week, so I went ahead and voted since I will do with it what I do with my D200. I voted nature, but I also do macro photography.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#11. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 10

Sun 14-Apr-13 07:31 PM

>( . . . ) but
>I also do macro photography.

Thank you for voting. Macro photography noted.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#12. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 11

gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Sun 14-Apr-13 08:41 PM

I voted for landscape although I use my D800E for just about everything like what I use to do with my ex-D700. Macro, events, parties, portraits, sports and video. However, since spring is here in my area, I use it mostly for landscape lately.

Regards,

Glenn

JonK

New York, US
6331 posts

#13. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sun 14-Apr-13 10:58 PM

Tought choice, Howard. I'm sing my D800e for everything except last winter's theatrical shoots. And next time around, I may just try the D800e…

I'll still admit to uneasiness about choosing the D00e over the D3s for BIF or sports — subjects where machine-gun FPS helps — or seems to.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

neil morgan

Brisbane, AU
34 posts

#14. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

neil morgan Registered since 07th Apr 2013
Sun 14-Apr-13 11:08 PM

The beauty of the D800 is that it can be used anywhere although the frame rate is perhaps a fraction too slow for professional sport.

I use it for landscape although I would be happy to use it anywhere or any situation since I the D700 handled everything I threw at it, and this is just a higher res version really

visit My Gallery

Birth Certificate shows we were born
Death certificate shows we died
Pictures showed we lived

visit My Nikonians Gallery

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#15. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 13

Mon 15-Apr-13 12:10 AM

>I'll still admit to uneasiness about choosing the D00e over
>the D3s for BIF or sports — subjects where machine-gun FPS
>helps — or seems to.

. . . which really only means that the D3s remains a superb camera!

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#16. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 2

Mon 15-Apr-13 08:46 AM

>Photography is a great hobby/passion for any season of life.

The D800 seems to make that happen quite well for a lot of people.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
4997 posts

#17. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Mon 15-Apr-13 10:15 AM

I do mostly macro but also a fair amount of sports. I also take occasional photo trips where I do mostly landscape photography. That said I would say my primary use is macro.

A friend of mine who does excellent macro photography (insects and other small critters) was recently looking to upgrade from a D200. He is a naturalist and does macro almost exclusively. He was waiting for a D400 and was also considering a D7100 but ended up going with a D800. He and I often send our images to each other and he was impressed with the IQ of my D800 images as compared to my D300 images. I can't wait to see what he does with a D800.

John

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#18. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Mon 15-Apr-13 02:37 PM

Howard

Primarily using it for Landscapes but Wildlife and Macro are probably the other 45%.

Visit

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#19. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 18

Mon 15-Apr-13 03:28 PM

Thanks. Noted.

I'm wondering where all the other studio shooters and street shooters are hiding, unless of course the D800 is becoming primarily an landscape workhorse.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

JonK

New York, US
6331 posts

#20. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 19

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Mon 15-Apr-13 05:49 PM

I've given this no thought, Howard, but my immediate guess is that street shooters, and some event shooters, just don't want the bigger files. Their loss…

Jon Kandel

JohnInsa

Bedfordview, ZA
32 posts

#21. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

JohnInsa Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2009
Mon 15-Apr-13 06:02 PM

Wildlife is our primary use and producing results that are totally staggering in quality. I hope to be posting pics shot this year with my D800 to my gallery soon. Simply amazing.

JohnInsa

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#22. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 20

Mon 15-Apr-13 07:53 PM

Could be Jon - I seem to one of a very small handful of street shooters so far.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

jpope42

Winter Park, FL, US
188 posts

#23. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 21

jpope42 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2004
Mon 15-Apr-13 08:23 PM

Shooting street is my favorite, but also some sports. Also I use it for urban documentary in my work, kinda like street only more about the buildings & spaces.

Jim
www.borrowedlightphotography.com

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#24. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 23

Mon 15-Apr-13 09:19 PM

There seem to be too few D800 owners focusing on street photography. I tend to feel that urban documentary is a very important and complex street photography discipline - perhaps the one that has generated some of the greatest urban pictorials over the decades.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#25. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 20

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Mon 15-Apr-13 10:10 PM

>I've given this no thought, Howard, but my immediate guess is
>that street shooters, and some event shooters, just don't want
>the bigger files. Their loss…
>
>Jon Kandel
>

We are Event Photographers.
I have the D600 set to large and
The D800 set for medium

The reason is that I often have problems emailing the large D800 files.
Nko doubt this will change and I will be able to shoot large soon.

tekneektom

Kohler, US
2003 posts

#26. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011
Mon 15-Apr-13 10:33 PM

Just completed a weekend workshop in Cambria, CA and I was amazed at the number of D800s. At one point I was talking with 3 other people and each of us was using a D800! Everyone I talked to absolutely loves the camera.

Tom

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
574 posts

#27. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Tue 16-Apr-13 01:52 AM

I voted for street, but landscape and events would also have been adequate. One should have multiple votes.
Also, macro is lacking.
Still, a good idea!

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
574 posts

#28. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 19

Tue 16-Apr-13 06:43 AM

>Thanks. Noted.
>
>I'm wondering where all the other studio shooters and street
>shooters are hiding, unless of course the D800 is becoming
>primarily an landscape workhorse.
>

Could it be that landscape is just a very popular subject in the USA (elsewhere also, but particularly there)?

Lukas

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#29. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 27

Tue 16-Apr-13 08:26 AM

Good points. I'm making note of the macro comments.

The only problem with giving voters more than one choice is that the results would not easily tell much about primary usage for the D800 among individuals. When I've done private research of this kind, a form submission with a set of questions and choices is used to determine the depth of information implied in your post. I wish the forum polling setup had that capability.

The overbalance of primary usage toward landscape shooting of all kinds is somewhat surprising to me - almost twice as much as all others combined. Landscape and wildlife together are two and a half times as much as all others combined. It seems like photographers make choices with only scant attention paid to Nikon marketing efforts. Experienced amateurs and pros alike seem to know what technology is best for them.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Rickjobson

Windsor, AU
118 posts

#30. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 27

Rickjobson Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2012
Tue 16-Apr-13 08:30 AM

Hi Howard,
Macro photography, specifically Jewellery. Unless i go medium format, the D800 is hard to beat. Also started shoots with models and on weekends trying wildlife, as well. Great all round camera.
Rick

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#31. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 28

Tue 16-Apr-13 08:44 AM

>Could it be that landscape is just a very popular subject in
>the USA (elsewhere also, but particularly in the US)

Anything is possible. Still, in my own experience at least, landscape photography seems to be such an important interest amongst European and Asian photographers everywhere I've travelled.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#32. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 30

Tue 16-Apr-13 08:50 AM

Thanks. Macro noted. There are now enough macro comments for me to track it as a separate primary selection.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

JCY88

US
193 posts

#33. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 32

JCY88 Registered since 24th Aug 2012
Tue 16-Apr-13 10:17 AM | edited Tue 16-Apr-13 10:20 AM by JCY88

The capacity for cropping is so appearing that it is now the one for all my shots, macro and all.

Cheers,
Jim
www.macroXscape.com

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#34. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 24

Tue 16-Apr-13 10:49 AM

>There seem to be too few D800 owners focusing on street
>photography. I tend to feel that urban documentary is a very
>important and complex street photography discipline - perhaps
>the one that has generated some of the greatest urban
>pictorials over the decades.
>Quote Howard<<<

I pretty much gave up street photography when some of my best shots were rejected by local papers.
They told me they had their own photographers.
This is not always the case but my shots were far superior to the ones they used.
It Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth and I lost interest after that.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#35. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 34

Tue 16-Apr-13 11:01 AM

>I pretty much gave up street photography when some of my best
>shots were rejected by local papers.
>They told me they had their own photographers.
>This is not always the case but my shots were far superior to
>the ones they used.
>It Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth and I lost interest
>after that.

Understood. For me, street photography has never been about a professional photo sale(s) pursuit. It has helped wrapped me up in a deeper understanding of where I have traveled and the people who live there - a documentary of sorts some people say - depending on how I present or publish the finished results. People and places define each other in so many important ways, so the photos I make often reflect how much we affect, alter, enhance and intertwine with the places in which we live. So often when I'm travling, my camera helps me introduce myself to people I might not otherwise get a chance to meet and talk to. That's what street photography means to me.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#36. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 35

Tue 16-Apr-13 11:57 AM

>>I pretty much gave up street photography when some of my
>best
>>shots were rejected by local papers.
>>They told me they had their own photographers.
>>This is not always the case but my shots were far superior
>to
>>the ones they used.
>>It Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth and I lost interest
>>after that.
>
>Understood. For me, street photography has never been about a
>professional photo sale(s) pursuit. It has helped wrapped me
>up in a deeper understanding of where I have traveled and the
>people who live there - a documentary of sorts some people say
>- depending on how I present or publish the finished results.
>People and places define each other in so many important ways,
>so the photos I make often reflect how much we affect, alter,
>enhance and intertwine with the places in which we live. So
>often when I'm travling, my camera helps me introduce myself
>to people I might not otherwise get a chance to meet and talk
>to. That's what street photography means to me. <Quote Howard<<<

I have no problem taking pictures of Spectators at Events.
It is a nice change of pace and can add interest.

But on the Street, I find people much more shy and often resentful.
I know they are in public domain
but they do not want their privacy violated anyway.
And then there is the problem with taking pictures of kids to deal with.
So I usually limit my street walk photography to Landscape & Archetectual subjects.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#37. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 36

Tue 16-Apr-13 01:16 PM

>I have no problem taking pictures of Spectators at Events.
>It is a nice change of pace and can add interest.

The excitement and other moods the spectators show can make great photos.

>But on the Street, I find people much more shy and often
>resentful.
>I know they are in public domain
>but they do not want their privacy violated anyway.
>And then there is the problem with taking pictures of kids to
>deal with.
>So I usually limit my street walk photography to Landscape
>& Archetectual subjects.

I hear this and I understand your feelings on the matter, but I have only rarely experienced that people are shy for very long or resentful in any way. Of course I respect personal privacy boundaries, but I don't encounter very many people who don't want to engage unless they're simply too busy or too focused on something more important to them. I choose my subjects carefully too - not everyone is fair game, and not everyone has the time to engage with me.

I've also found, most often in recent years, that it is photographers who are more often hesitant about making photos of kids than it is parents or guardians who are overprotective or shooing away a photographer. I always engage with a parent to first offer them a civilized connection. Engaging with people, at least for me, has been a path to all sorts of wonderful cooperation and just a few new friendships over the years as well.

We're all different though - for sure - and I never assume that my approach to street photography should be everyone's approach. I agree with you - we each have to shoot in ways that provide us with relative comfort, enjoyment and confidence.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
574 posts

#38. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 31

Wed 17-Apr-13 02:35 AM

>Anything is possible. Still, in my own experience at least,
>landscape photography seems to be such an important interest
>amongst European and Asian photographers everywhere I've
>travelled.

Yes, I think you are right, particularly after rereading what you included in the landscape category, like urban and suburban. I might as well have voted for landscape also, particularly when I look at the sheer bulk of my pictures.
I suppose what you do, or at least what I do, is somehow to compare the categories with the own vision of photography, and then click on what seems the nearest fit.

Lukas

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#39. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 29

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Wed 17-Apr-13 03:33 AM

I also find the results interesting, but not surprised by the number of landscape shooters on this site.

I figure the studio guys that have been using MF, may now be using the D800(E) also, but don't follow this site so may not be part of the results.

I think most event shooters don't need/want the file sizes of a D800(E) so waited for the D600 or picked up a 5DIII or stuck with their D700's.

Street shooters, well I'm not sure of the low number as maybe they are too busy "looking" for the shot to post... LOL

I picked events/family as that covers most if not all of my photos I take.

Chris

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#40. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 33

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Wed 17-Apr-13 03:58 AM

I have voted Landscape for my D800, however if I'd been asked this question a month ago I would have said Wildlife! The reason is that I've now bought the D7100 and absolutely love it for mainly Wildlife, but Landscape too. The removal of the AA filter has really sharpened up feather detail on birds and the effect on architectural and landscape has been equally noted.

So, if I had the choice now of the D800 or the D800E again, it would be the D800E.

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#41. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 40

Wed 17-Apr-13 08:14 AM

>So, if I had the choice now of the D800 or the D800E again, it
>would be the D800E.

Interesting observations. I wonder when other camera makers are going to bin the OLPF now that they're all heading for ultra-high pixel densities and resolutions?

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#42. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 41

Wed 17-Apr-13 10:31 AM

Who knows Howard, but my bet is if it works for Nikon and Sony it won't be long before others adopt the practice. It's the first time ever that I've actually used a camera where the IQ sharpness straight out of the camera exceeds is immediately noticeable.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#43. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 38

Wed 17-Apr-13 10:38 AM

>I suppose what you do, or at least what I do, is somehow to
>compare the categories with the own vision of photography, and
>then click on what seems the nearest fit.

That's exactly right I think.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#44. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 39

Wed 17-Apr-13 10:45 AM

>I picked events/family as that covers most if not all of my
>photos I take.

. . . and I used to think that was a bit off-track for a camera as powerful as a D700 or D800, until I started deliberately looking for such collections posted online. What I discovered was that dedicated family and related event photographers were doing some remarkable things - everything from passionate photo documentaries, wonderfully rendered presentations of special events (graduations, convocations, confimations, bar mitzvahs, school track meets, and on and on and on), to the most simple and dramatic family portraits I could imagine, all in ways I'd never before considered. Turned out that the most advanced Nikon bodies were/are being perfectly well used.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#45. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 42

Wed 17-Apr-13 10:55 AM

>Who knows Howard, but my bet is if it works for Nikon and
>Sony it won't be long before others adopt the practice.

I agree and I would not bet against it. They all follow each other around like packs of starving wolves.

>It's
>the first time ever that I've actually used a camera where the
>IQ sharpness straight out of the camera exceeds is immediately
>noticeable.

That's how I felt when I first started using my D700 years ago. But the D800 with it's very gentle OLPF and the D7100 with none at all have upped the ante so much, and in some respects beyond what I ever thought would be visible to us. For sure as well, the next monitor I purchase is going to be the highest resolution, greatest bit-depth panel I can find, because having all that image data and being able to acually display and see all of it are two different things.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#46. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 45

Wed 17-Apr-13 11:23 AM

<<That's how I felt when I first started using my D700 years ago>>

Exactly the way I felt when I upgraded my D300 to the D700. The D800 I found a little improvement IQ sharpness wise and it made better use of my pro lenses, however it's qualities came to the fore with it's tonal range which I noticed a big plus over the D700. Interestingly and especially for my wildlife images I always downsize my D800 images to 16Mp and found them slightly sharper.

In short the D7000 had become a stranger as my D800 took the major share of all my wildlife and landscape photography. Now, the D7100 holds it's own for wildlife and the D800 for my landscape and street scape images especially where wider lenses like my 16-35mm are needed. I am extremely grateful and more than fortunate to have both bodies.

I could mumble on for hours about my thoughts on the D7100, but not here as the question was about the D800/E

Richard

mgd7

New York, US
104 posts

#47. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

mgd7 Registered since 06th Mar 2012
Wed 17-Apr-13 11:49 AM

Hopefully this thread is open to amateurs/hobbyists as well.

I voted "Street - people, architecture, life, travel" since I think this covers the largest portion of what I shoot (mainly architecture and travel, though some of the "travel" would be more landscape-like photos). A close number 2 for me these days would be "Private Events", i.e. family.

I never used a motordrive with my FG (did Nikon even make motordrives for the FG?) and only sometimes with my F3, so the "slow" frame rate of the D800 is not a problem for me. (And I guess in those days, the "buffer" would have been the mailer we used to send our film off to get processed.)

Mike

winclk

philadelphia, US
119 posts

#48. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 47

winclk Registered since 15th Jan 2007
Wed 17-Apr-13 12:06 PM

When I'm out and about I will shoot anything that is not human. I wouldn't want my grandkids photo taken by a stranger so I try to not take photos of other peoples kids.

I also do a lot of macro photography. I really like capturing the details of a subject.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#49. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 47

Wed 17-Apr-13 12:17 PM

>Hopefully this thread is open to amateurs/hobbyists as well.
>

No elitists here! Nikonians is Nikonians - open to everyone. There are far more amateurs and hobbyists than pros. If Nikon had to survive on camera sales to pros only, it would be a little boutique company on the verge of bankruptcy.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#50. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 48

Wed 17-Apr-13 12:27 PM

>When I'm out and about I will shoot anything that is not
>human. I wouldn't want my grandkids photo taken by a stranger
>so I try to not take photos of other peoples kids.

Without trying to be confrontational or judgmental, I am always curious about hesitance or refusal to allow kid photos or a sense that it is inappropriate. I certainly feel a sensitivity about it - no question about that, and I don't try to sneak a photo if a parent or guardian indicates otherwise or if I sense before even approaching a parent or guardian in public that they don't want photos taken.

I guess I'm more curious about what Nikonians think is inappropriate about candid photos of kids at play, kids in concentration or contemplation over something, kids in a face-off with a parent and so on. I have a sense that we're to some degree protecting kids in this way because we've concurrently developed a sensitivity to loss of privacy in so many other areas of our lives. I suppose that alone is a good enough reason, just as much as the simple declaration that "Well, they're my kids/grandkids and I just don't want them to be photographed." Parents and grandparents rule no doubt. I'm not arguing the point, just wondering about it.

>I also do a lot of macro photography. I really like capturing
>the details of a subject.

Macro noted. Thanks.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

JonK

New York, US
6331 posts

#51. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 50

Wed 17-Apr-13 01:07 PM

It's that lurking worry that the dude shooting pics of the kids is really a pedophile waiting to pounce. In NYC, public playground for young kids usually have a sign barring adults not accompanied by a child.

Jon Kandel

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#52. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 50

Wed 17-Apr-13 01:11 PM

<<I have a sense that we're to some degree protecting kids in this way because we've concurrently developed a sensitivity to loss of privacy in so many other areas of our lives. I suppose that alone is a good enough reason, just as much as the simple declaration that "Well, they're my kids/grandkids and I just don't want them to be photographed." Parents and grandparents rule no doubt. I'm not arguing the point, just wondering about it.>>

Howard. Rather than take up paragraphs and paragraphs here I have sent you a private message on this issue as it's something I get hot under the collar about, it's about the UK's paranoia to this subject.

Richard.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#53. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 51

Wed 17-Apr-13 01:13 PM

Exactly Jon and it's a very sad world. This is the attitude in the UK too.

Richard

Dadorian

Johannesburg, ZA
83 posts

#54. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 1

Dadorian Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011
Wed 17-Apr-13 02:26 PM

I know what you mean, I am still making friends with mine , I love the D800 but its making me work, probably a good thing !!
Ian

GaryPk

Bailey, US
537 posts

#55. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 49

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2012
Wed 17-Apr-13 02:41 PM

I primarily use my D800e for Landscapes... shooting in live view mode, LV/AF focus, manual exposure, and spot metering mode ....

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#56. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008
Wed 17-Apr-13 02:44 PM

Howard,

>I'm interested in your primary use for the camera.<

Landscape. Virtually exclusively so.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#57. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 51

Wed 17-Apr-13 04:33 PM

>It's that lurking worry that the dude shooting pics of the
>kids is really a pedophile waiting to pounce.

The problem I have with that suggestion about what people are thinking is that if it's actually what most of them are thinking, however briefly, it's also too grossly simplistic. I think parents readily manufacture all sorts of things - pedophiles, kidnappers, evildoers of all descriptions - because the thought of such things is awful and a convenient reason to shut out anything they don't like around their kids without actually having to engage a photographer in some 'burdensome' conversation or introduction. There aren't any greater or smaller percentages of bad people now than there have even been, and I can't force people to see or understand that.

I see that it is easy for people to be irrationally fearful of some things they don't understand when their personal and immediate sphere is involved. But the moment they see some tragedy take place on the street, their smartphones are out, the video apps are running and plenty of them are already sending clips to everyone in their address books (or the local media for a hopeful sale). Doesn't matter if kids, adults or the man in the moon is involved.

>In NYC, public
>playground for young kids usually have a sign barring adults
>not accompanied by a child.

And it won't be long before the highest property tax ratepayers start petitioning municipal governments for camera-free playgrounds, which will no doubt really suck when they want to take photos of their own kids! We can only hope that tiny sensors in smartphones keep getting better.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Craig Bennett

Rio Rancho, US
64 posts

#58. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

Craig Bennett Registered since 28th Oct 2012
Wed 17-Apr-13 05:35 PM

2 - D800e's for Wedding/Event photography and second Landscape. Wonderful camera!

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#59. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 58

Wed 17-Apr-13 09:40 PM

>2 - D800e's for Wedding/Event photography and second
>Landscape. Wonderful camera!

Thanks for voting Craig.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Indecline1

US
18 posts

#60. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

Indecline1 Registered since 21st Feb 2013
Thu 18-Apr-13 02:10 AM

I voted landscape as it's closest to what I use it for. Primary use is for taking train photos in scenic areas (primarily the Columbia Gorge)

Dan

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#61. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 60

Thu 18-Apr-13 08:58 AM

Dan - please post some of your train photos or point us to a link. There are never enough train photos IMO.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Indecline1

US
18 posts

#62. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 61

Thu 18-Apr-13 11:49 AM | edited Thu 18-Apr-13 11:51 AM by Indecline1

>Dan - please post some of your train photos or point us to a
>link. There are never enough train photos IMO.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=41109

Warning - lot's of pop up ads on this site.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#63. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 62

Thu 18-Apr-13 12:59 PM

Are you posting your own shots anywhere?

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

KerryS

Sedro Woolley, WA, US
270 posts

#64. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

KerryS Registered since 30th Nov 2012
Thu 18-Apr-13 03:08 PM | edited Thu 18-Apr-13 03:09 PM by KerryS

I voted landscape because this is what I do the most of. One of my favorite weekend pass times is to drive someplace I have never been and shoot it. Living in northwest Washington I have an endless supply of beautiful landscapes to shoot. Having said that I also use my D800e for studio work doing both product/still life and portrait work.

kiu

Pleasanton, US
73 posts

#65. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

kiu Registered since 09th May 2012
Thu 18-Apr-13 08:52 PM

I clicked Studio. I do use this camera a lot for taking random pics of my kid and dog tho.

http://kenlamstudios.com

Indecline1

US
18 posts

#66. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 63

Fri 19-Apr-13 02:03 AM

>Are you posting your own shots anywhere?
>
I've ignored my own website for sometime, so the link I listed above is the best place right now to find my photos. I post as Indecline at Railpictures.net.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#67. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 65

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Fri 19-Apr-13 02:46 AM | edited Fri 19-Apr-13 03:13 AM by KnightPhoto

My motivation for purchasing vs. usage frequency are not in 100% alignment. I voted Landscape as that is where I feel it has the greatest strengths for my shooting but the really strong motivator for me to sell my D700 and purchase a D800E was video. It was video that really put me over the top in this decision, since of course the D700 makes a very poor video camera. I needed a second camera with state of the art video as I do two camera videoing, one fixed wide shot (D800E) and one panning tele shot.

I also use my D800 as a very capable body #2 for wide shots in Theatre (as stills camera #2 to my D4) and Wildlife (as camera #2 to my D4).

Purchasing motivation for me was something like Video, better more detailed Theatre wide shots than D700, Landscape, Wildlife.
Usage frequency is something like Video (doing this a lot these days), Wildlife, Landscape, then Theatre stills but that is influenced by me doing a lot more hours of wildlife photography than I do other genres.

Anyhow, I consider the D800E a very versatile rig if it was my only camera, but other than Landscape I prefer my D4 as I feel it gives me certain advantages in my main other genres of video, theatre, wildlife, and portraiture (where I find the D800E too detailed). Editted to add: D800E will be my primary travel camera as well. Just not travelling a ton right now, but when I do D800E makes most sense. So for me Landscape and travel are my best uses for D800E.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#68. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 66

Fri 19-Apr-13 09:09 AM

Thanks.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#69. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Fri 19-Apr-13 11:17 PM

I do everything on the list but studio. How do I vote if I am only allowed to vote once.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#70. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 69

Fri 19-Apr-13 11:28 PM

>I do everything on the list but studio. How do I vote if I am
>only allowed to vote once.

The polling utility only allows a single vote. I do almost everything on the list too, but street photography more heavily than any of the others. So street was my vote. If the balance of all the different interests is really even for you, it's tough to vote for one.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#71. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 70

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Sat 20-Apr-13 02:18 AM

Howard,

After thinking about this for a few days (things are a little slow around here) I was wondering: Given all of the grief that some people have expressed over the failings of the D800 and the habitual, almost congenital failure of Nikon to acknowledge, much less fix them, did you consider adding the choice: "As a Door-stop or Paperweight"?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#72. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 71

Sat 20-Apr-13 08:13 AM

>Given all of the grief that
>some people have expressed over the failings of the D800 and
>the habitual, almost congenital failure of Nikon to
>acknowledge, much less fix them, did you consider adding the
>choice: "As a Door-stop or Paperweight"?

LOL.

As usual, Nikon designed a camera that gets better and better the longer a photographer uses it.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#73. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 71

Sat 20-Apr-13 01:14 PM | edited Sat 20-Apr-13 01:15 PM by RRRoger

>Howard,
did you consider adding the choice: "As a Door-stop or Paperweight"?
>Mick<<<

I have to use all my Nikons for photography because I already have a Canon for that.
They make good wheel stops too!

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#74. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 21-Apr-13 08:10 AM

After 120 votes and a week at or near the top of the post list, the poll results are clear. Thank you to everyone who voted and thank you to everyone who posted.

Please note that I received 5 votes (either in the thread or via email) for Macro as the primary use.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13640 posts

#75. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 74

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sun 21-Apr-13 05:28 PM

This is a great poll and the result has been interesting.

I would have bet on Landscape winning but not by such a huge margin.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#76. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 75

Sun 21-Apr-13 05:45 PM

I'm surprised at the margin too. Three times as many landscape and wildlife shooters as all others combined.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#77. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 76

Sun 21-Apr-13 06:00 PM

My D800 became my wildlife camera as well as for landscapes. I bought the D800 principally for a dual role in the absence of the long awaited D400. However, the D7100 does almost everything I'd hoped for in a D400, so that wish list is now shredded and my D800 is now landscape only.

Interestingly, my D7100 has become an occasional landscape camera when traveling light and does that extremely well too. I am an extremely happy guy with two cameras that do what they do so very, very well

Richard

GringoRojo

Strathclyde, UK
1122 posts

#78. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

GringoRojo Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2008
Fri 02-Aug-13 02:23 PM

been away from here for quite some time.

with my D200 I shoot/shot mostly wildlife, then sport, then landscape, then macro, then people. however with my D800 I'm working to become an event camerman/short film-maker so am shooting almost exclusively video, however I do occasionally use it to take project stills. for the poll I shoot mostly public events but it's a tiny fraction of the useage of the camera.

Alan
a Doonhamer in Strathclyde (Scottish Nikonian)
D800&D200 shooter. Favourite lens is my nikkor 300f4AFS
My Nikonians Gallery: feel free to comment

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#79. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 19

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Fri 02-Aug-13 06:08 PM

I shoot the D800 every time I am in the studio. But the nature of your poll excluded me from mentioning it since I tend to shoot sports more than I shoot in my studio. I wonder if other studio shooters are in a similar spot.

>I'm wondering where all the other studio shooters and street
>shooters are hiding, unless of course the D800 is becoming
>primarily an landscape workhorse.
>

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#80. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 76

Fri 02-Aug-13 06:12 PM

I think the margin is not as reflective of how people are primarily using the camera, but more about how the poll was written.

I use my D800 100% of the time I am in studio and probably for about 50% of my sports shooting. But I shoot sports 10x as often as I do studio work, so I have to say sports is primary based on how the poll goes.

I think your poll is skewing because a great percentage of people here in the D800 forum are landscape shooters. Most likely shoot other subjects as well, but the preponderance of their work tends to be in one area, thus the primary use of their camera has to follow.

>I'm surprised at the margin too. Three times as many
>landscape and wildlife shooters as all others combined.

------

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#81. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 80

Fri 02-Aug-13 06:21 PM

>I think the margin is not as reflective of how people are
>primarily using the camera, but more about how the poll was
>written.

Poll questions always reveal either some inadvertent bias or some deliberate bias imposed by the pollster, no doubt about it. But I think the disparity between the popularity of the D800 for landscape photography compared to all other interests is still mainly reflective of the high percentage of landscape and wildlife shooters among Nikonians members (just as you mentioned in the latter part of your post).

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#82. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 81

Sat 03-Aug-13 01:22 AM

>But I think the disparity between the popularity of the
>D800 for landscape photography compared to all other interests
>is still mainly reflective of the high percentage of landscape
>and wildlife shooters among Nikonians members (just as you
>mentioned in the latter part of your post).

I wonder how this might have been different if you polled in the sports area, studio area, etc., and asked what percentage of people were shooting with a D800.

------

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#83. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 82

Sat 03-Aug-13 09:58 AM

Good question. It would be interesting for the Nikonians owners to post a research oll that appeared in every relevant forum in order to gather more generally accurate results.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

FredB D3

Indialantic, US
1169 posts

#84. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008
Sat 03-Aug-13 01:01 PM

Hi Howard,

Landscape, Wildlife, and Macro - for me one often leads into another. I voted Landscape, because at his point that's what I have been doing most of for the couple months I have had the D800E - gardens, and flower/butterfly closeups. But after Florida next year (and based on number of images, and not time spent), it might be wildlife (along with Landscape thrown in to give a sense of habitat ).

Fred
Florida, USA

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#85. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 45

Sat 03-Aug-13 01:57 PM

Quote Howard
>For sure as well, the next monitor I purchase is going to be
>the highest resolution, greatest bit-depth panel I can find,
>because having all that image data and being able to actually
>display and see all of it are two different things.
>

I recently acquired a Dell 30" HD (2560x1600) monitor when my 28" HannsG died.
Compared to 1920x1200 it is brighter, sharper, and has better color.
However, it is only slightly so.
The difference is no where a huge as I expected.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#86. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 84

Sat 03-Aug-13 07:50 PM

Hi Fred - Thanks for the input.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#87. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 85

Sat 03-Aug-13 08:17 PM

>I recently acquired a Dell 30" HD (2560x1600) monitor
>when my 28" HannsG died.
>Compared to 1920x1200 it is brighter, sharper, and has better
>color.
>However, it is only slightly so.
>The difference is no where a huge as I expected.

Roger - I hope the new monitor is doing the job for you. Larger screen size and necessarily more pixels to fill that size at a given ppi is not what I need though. I need greater bit-depth - 12- or 14-bit actually - for more colors simultaneously (and accurately) displayed. It's not much of a concern when I'm optimizing images for Web display, but it's a definite must when optimizing for high resolution print.

I'm not interested in shooting 12- or 14-bit color images with my D800 and then editing them on a 6- or 8-bit so-called premium panel from Dell, Acer, Samsung and so on. It's counterproductive to say the least. A true 16-bit LUT monitor such as the Eizo CG276 27" is what I've settled on. Their stupidly expensive, but actually being to see all of the color depth captured by everything from a D200 up to the through the D800/800e is a revelation that has to be experienced to be fully understood.

I confess to having beens spoiled by high-end Mitsubishi graphics CRT monitors during the late '90s, and I've saved my nickels and dimes to buy expensive, high-bit-depth graphics monitors ever since. I tried the Dell U2410 a couple of years ago - a good monitor, but at a true 8-bit not up to the subtle color and detail display (and editing) needed for large prints that are going to be critically judged or viewed.

I also need a full IPS panel - not a hybrid IPS - to get the benefit of wider viewing angles. I've completely had it with TFT panels - a technology that is cheap and cheerful and which has been held in place by the manufacturers for far to long. Basically, I want what top quality IPS panels offer: superior range of viewing angles, 100% of the NTSC gamut, 100% of the Adober RGB gamut (or real close to it) which means 12-bit color for sure, and at least 24" in size (and bigger is better as long as the ppi holds up).

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

geno64

midlothian, US
152 posts

#88. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

geno64 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Sep 2012
Sat 03-Aug-13 11:00 PM

It's a toss- up between Landscape and Macro. I did vote landscape though. It is an amazing piece of equipment in the field.

Starius

US
40 posts

#89. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

Starius Registered since 20th Sep 2003
Wed 14-Aug-13 07:11 PM

Yeah, I'm purchasing my D800 very soon here and my #1 deciding factor is for video production. If it wasn't for that, I'd be perfectly happy to keep using my D100 for stills.

-Starius

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#90. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 89

Wed 14-Aug-13 08:55 PM

Wow,

I surely would be looking for something else for video if that's your primary consideration. For less money you could be into a Blackmagic Cinema camera. Get 2K RAW video. Hell of a lot better than a D800 for $1k less. Or for $1k more get their 4K version.

-P

>Yeah, I'm purchasing my D800 very soon here and my #1
>deciding factor is for video production. If it wasn't for
>that, I'd be perfectly happy to keep using my D100 for stills.
>
>
>
>-Starius

------

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#91. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 90

Wed 14-Aug-13 10:28 PM

>Wow,
>
>I surely would be looking for something else for video if
>that's your primary consideration. For less money you could
>be into a Blackmagic Cinema camera. Get 2K RAW video. Hell
>of a lot better than a D800 for $1k less. Or for $1k more get
>their 4K version.
>
>-P
>
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

Perone, Does not that depends on your final use?

Some of us do not want/need huge RAW Video files.
If your highest use is DVD or even BlueRay for viewing on TV,
even DNxHD 36 might be overkill,
but the minimum 220 MegaBytes per second of the BM is just way too much to deal with.

I only use a Shuttle II for one reason:
Uninterrupted recording.
I erase those huge files as soon as I have converted them.

I also use the D800 primarily for my "Home Movies",
but enjoy all the other attributes of these cameras too.
And, the BlackMagic makes a lousy still camera.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Starius

US
40 posts

#92. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 90

Wed 14-Aug-13 10:34 PM

This is true, and with the recent BM price drop, I've considered it. However, I still need to do stills as well... especially since I'll be selling my old D100 to my uncle, who has repeatedly suggested I upgrade for 2 years now so that I can sell it to him. (He seems quite taken with it.) And since I need a camera that is a bit of a "jack of all trades," it's hard to beat the D800. I also want to keep on using Nikon F mount lenses for the foreseeable future. And honestly, I'm not too keen to jump on the Black Magic bandwagon. If still photography was not a "must have" element, I'd be more interested in waiting for the new Digital Bolex D16.

However, the D800 is rather underrated in the DSLR video world, which is largely pro Canon. Perhaps with the exception of certain low light conditions, it can stand it's ground or surpass the DSLR competition on a toe to toe basis.

Is it the perfect camera for video? No, no one camera is for all possible situations. However, the D800 is currently the best solution for the majority of situations I'll find myself in for the plan-able future.

-Starius

>Wow,
>
>I surely would be looking for something else for video if
>that's your primary consideration. For less money you could
>be into a Blackmagic Cinema camera. Get 2K RAW video. Hell
>of a lot better than a D800 for $1k less. Or for $1k more get
>their 4K version.
>
>-P
>
>>Yeah, I'm purchasing my D800 very soon here and my #1
>>deciding factor is for video production. If it wasn't for
>>that, I'd be perfectly happy to keep using my D100 for
>stills.
>>
>>
>>
>>-Starius
>

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#93. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 67

Wed 14-Aug-13 11:00 PM | edited Wed 14-Aug-13 11:06 PM by KnightPhoto

>My motivation for purchasing vs. usage frequency...
>Purchasing motivation for me was something like Video, better
>more detailed Theatre wide shots than D700, Landscape,
>Wildlife.
>Usage frequency is something like Video (doing this a lot
>these days), Wildlife, Landscape, then Theatre stills but that
>is influenced by me doing a lot more hours of wildlife
>photography than I do other genres.
>
>Anyhow, I consider the D800E a very versatile rig if it was my
>only camera, but other than Landscape I prefer my D4 as I feel
>it gives me certain advantages in my main other genres of
>video, theatre, wildlife, and portraiture (where I find the
>D800E too detailed). ... So for me Landscape and
>travel are my best uses for D800E.
>

Things have evolved for me and the D800E has elbowed it's way into my #1 camera over the D4 during the Spring and Summer. Combination of doing zero theatre and video and doing lots of mostly staged wildlife (songbirds called in using tape playback and/or songbirds at feeders) and some travel. If I could, I would now change my vote from Landscape to Wildlife. Also, I am more and more bumping into to other Nikon wildlife shooters, and you guessed it, the D800 is a common platform these days. Great camera.

Anyhow, now that the seasons have progressed and fall migration has begun already, I am going to dig back out the D4 for it's responsiveness and speed in un-staged wildlife situations. Still not doing much theatre or video as I have been too busy at my day-job and something had to give...

I am very impressed with my D800E. Digressing but am worried about Nikon's financial situation. If you haven't bought one yet, get out there and purchase a D800

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#94. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 92

Wed 14-Aug-13 11:10 PM

Yes, when I saw your comment about moving from a D100, to me it only makes sense to go with a D800 for a great combo unit of stills and video.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#95. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 91

Thu 15-Aug-13 12:00 AM

>>Wow,
>>
>>I surely would be looking for something else for video if
>>that's your primary consideration. For less money you
>could
>>be into a Blackmagic Cinema camera. Get 2K RAW video.
>Hell
>>of a lot better than a D800 for $1k less. Or for $1k more
>get
>>their 4K version.
>>
>>-P
>>
>http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/
>
>Perone, Does not that depends on your final use?

Nope. Not for me. Just like stills. Even when I am delivering to the web, I still shoot my D800 or D3s on RAW and not JPG basic.

>Some of us do not want/need huge RAW Video files.

So don't shoot them. Shoot ProResLT

>If your highest use is DVD or even BlueRay for viewing on TV,
>even DNxHD 36 might be overkill,

Not really, for much the same reason as shooting 12MP JPG isn't overkill for delivering 8x10.

>but the minimum 220 MegaBytes per second of the BM is just way
>too much to deal with.

Who said the minimum was 220mbps?

>I only use a Shuttle II for one reason:
>Uninterrupted recording.
>I erase those huge files as soon as I have converted them.

Cool. Do you erase your RAW image files from the Nikon as well?

>I also use the D800 primarily for my "Home Movies",
> but enjoy all the other attributes of these cameras too.
>And, the BlackMagic makes a lousy still camera.

The BM is about as bad at stills as the D800 is at video. Pick your poison.

Incidentally, the BM is shooting a frame size about equivalent to the D2h (which put untold photos on the cover of a great many magazines) but it's doing it at 24-30fps in RAW. Without the equivalent of an external recorder, the D800 is writing video at the equivalent of a D1.

------

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#96. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 94

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Thu 15-Aug-13 12:02 AM

I agree with you, Steve.

I bought the D800 and this summer, it has been a wildlife photo camera.

Although my D4 is faster and is able to capture great images as well, I have used the D800 fairly often. My lens of most frequent use is a new 300mm f/4 mounted on a Nikon TCII 2.0.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#97. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 92

Thu 15-Aug-13 12:11 AM

>This is true, and with the recent BM price drop, I've
>considered it.

Give it careful thought...

>However, I still need to do stills as well...

So keep the D100.

>especially since I'll be selling my old D100 to my uncle, who
>has repeatedly suggested I upgrade for 2 years now so that I
>can sell it to him. (He seems quite taken with it.)

Buy him one. Going rate on the used market for a D100 is about $100. Throw in an 8GB card for $10 and he's golden.

> And since
>I need a camera that is a bit of a "jack of all
>trades," it's hard to beat the D800.

There are VERY few cameras out there than are real jack-of-all-trades when it comes to doing both stills and video. At least at a decent level for both. And none of them are less than $10k ready to shoot. You're either going to get a killer stills camera with passable video, or great video camera with passable stills. You get to pick.

>I also want to keep
>on using Nikon F mount lenses for the foreseeable future.

So buy the Canon mount BM. Nikon lenses adapt to Canon with a $15 adapter. I use them all the time.

>And
>honestly, I'm not too keen to jump on the Black Magic
>bandwagon.

Fair enough.

>If still photography was not a "must
>have" element, I'd be more interested in waiting for the
>new Digital Bolex D16.

Really?? I can't see WHAT that thing has over a BM. I saw it when the kickstarter or whatever came out for it. As soon as BM announced their product, digital Bolex was dead to me.

>However, the D800 is rather underrated in the DSLR video
>world, which is largely pro Canon.

I can't see that. Seems to garner a rating pretty fairly from what I've seen.

>Perhaps with the exception
>of certain low light conditions, it can stand it's ground or
>surpass the DSLR competition on a toe to toe basis.

Yep. DSLR's in general are TERRIBLE at video. At least they are without some external help.

>Is it the perfect camera for video? No, no one camera is for
>all possible situations. However, the D800 is currently the
>best solution for the majority of situations I'll find myself
>in for the plan-able future.

Well, you have to do what works for you.

>>Wow,
>>
>>I surely would be looking for something else for video if
>>that's your primary consideration. For less money you
>could
>>be into a Blackmagic Cinema camera. Get 2K RAW video.
>Hell
>>of a lot better than a D800 for $1k less. Or for $1k more
>get
>>their 4K version.
>>
>>-P
>>
>>>Yeah, I'm purchasing my D800 very soon here and my #1
>>>deciding factor is for video production. If it wasn't
>for
>>>that, I'd be perfectly happy to keep using my D100
>for
>>stills.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>-Starius

------

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#98. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 95

Thu 15-Aug-13 05:30 AM

>
>>Some of us do not want/need huge RAW Video files.
>
>So don't shoot them. Shoot ProRes LT
>
>>If your highest use is DVD or even BlueRay for viewing on TV,
>>even DNxHD 36 might be overkill,
>
>Not really, for much the same reason as shooting 12MP JPG
>isn't overkill for delivering 8x10.
>
>>but the minimum 220 MegaBytes per second of the BM is just
>way too much to deal with.
>
>Who said the minimum was 220mbps?
>
>>I only use a Shuttle II for one reason:
>>Uninterrupted recording.
>>I erase those huge files as soon as I have converted them.
>
>
>Cool. Do you erase your RAW image files from the Nikon as
>well?
>
>
>>I also use the D800 primarily for my "Home
>Movies",
>> but enjoy all the other attributes of these cameras too.
>>And, the BlackMagic makes a lousy still camera.
>
>The BM is about as bad at stills as the D800 is at video.
>Pick your poison.
>
>Incidentally, the BM is shooting a frame size about equivalent
>to the D2h (which put untold photos on the cover of a great
>many magazines) but it's doing it at 24-30fps in RAW. Without
>the equivalent of an external recorder, the D800 is writing
>video at the equivalent of a D1.
>
><<<<

None of the Black Magic Cameras or recorders use ProRes LT (100MBs) or DNxHD 36,
which is the reason that I am thinking of going to Atomos for recording.
BM is for serious film makers like you (Perone)
They only offer 4 recording formats
Uncompressed QuickTime, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) QuickTime, Avid DNxHD QuickTime, Avid DNxHD MXF.
If they offered more options, they would sell a lot more product.

Yes, I usually delete the RAW Nikon files too
unless the Event is extremely important to Archive.
Then it is only because I have been doing this long enough to realize
that software enhancement of old images keeps improving.
But, that applies to JPEGs as well as long as you make your changes "save as" and keep the originals.

My D800 is more than "good enough" for Home Movies and excels at stills.

Starius

US
40 posts

#99. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 98

Thu 15-Aug-13 09:54 AM

I'll be using a Atomos Ninja 2, also. I don't see this as a negative, I'm happy there is clean HDMI out so I have the choice of using whatever external recording I wanted.

Also, when you see these examples of short films shot with the D800. How can someone say it's bad at video?

Joy Ride: https://vimeo.com/36305675
Broken Night: https://vimeo.com/56862418

Are there some challenges involved with DSLR video shooting that other solutions don't have? Sure. But life is nothing but challenges and if I do nothing but avoid them, I'd never accomplish anything.

-Starius

Starius

US
40 posts

#100. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 94

Thu 15-Aug-13 09:57 AM

Yeah, it's quite a evolutionary jump for me. When I got my D100, DSLRs that could shoot video was just a crazy dream. Plus, the bump up from 6.1 megapixels will be a whole new world, haha.

>Yes, when I saw your comment about moving from a D100, to me
>it only makes sense to go with a D800 for a great combo unit
>of stills and video.
>
>Best regards, SteveK
>
>'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see
>without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
>My
>Nikonians gallery>
>
My Nikonians Blog

-Starius

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#101. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 98

Thu 15-Aug-13 12:22 PM

>None of the Black Magic Cameras or recorders use ProRes LT
>(100MBs) or DNxHD 36,
>which is the reason that I am thinking of going to Atomos for
>recording.

My error. I misunderstood their literature as it regarded ProRes. What recording mode does the Atomos use that is "lighter" than DNx36?

>BM is for serious film makers like you (Perone)
>They only offer 4 recording formats
>Uncompressed QuickTime, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) QuickTime, Avid
>DNxHD QuickTime, Avid DNxHD MXF.
>If they offered more options, they would sell a lot more
>product.

Perhaps. But they'd probably not sell it to anyone they want to reach.

>Yes, I usually delete the RAW Nikon files too
> unless the Event is extremely important to Archive.
>Then it is only because I have been doing this long enough to
>realize
> that software enhancement of old images keeps improving.
>But, that applies to JPEGs as well as long as you make your
>changes "save as" and keep the originals.

Ok. Showstopper comment right there for me.

>My D800 is more than "good enough" for Home Movies
>and excels at stills.

Yep, I can totally see this.

------

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#102. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 99

Thu 15-Aug-13 12:32 PM

>Also, when you see these examples of short films shot with the
>D800. How can someone say it's bad at video?
>
>Joy Ride: https://vimeo.com/36305675
>Broken Night: https://vimeo.com/56862418

When I was shooting my D2H at JPG basic, and delivering to Facebook, no one said it was "bad". It wasn't. But it pales in comparison to shooting my D800 in RAW. This is the equivalent argument.

Yes, the D800 (and other DSLRs) shoot video. It looks great on the internet. But the challenge to get it to look good in a more demanding environment is pretty tough. Can it be done? Sure.

>Are there some challenges involved with DSLR video shooting
>that other solutions don't have? Sure. But life is nothing but
>challenges and if I do nothing but avoid them, I'd never
>accomplish anything.

My question is, why pay more for less? $1k more for the camera, then another $1k for a Atomos, plus HDMI cabling and associated hardware, just to make it harder to shoot. And you are STILL only getting an HD (1920x1080) frame, REC709 video space, etc. For $2k+ less, you'd get to shoot in LOG space, at a 2.5k frame, get your choice of RAW, ProRes, or DNxHD, and be able to shoot untethered.

I am just trying to follow the logic.

------

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#103. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 101

Thu 15-Aug-13 02:13 PM

>>None of the Black Magic Cameras or recorders use ProRes
>LT
>>(100MBs) or DNxHD 36,
>>which is the reason that I am thinking of going to Atomos
>for
>>recording.
>
>My error. I misunderstood their literature as it regarded
>ProRes. What recording mode does the Atomos use that is
>"lighter" than DNx36?
>
The Atomos recorders offer ProRes LT, DNxHD 145 and 36 in addition the the codec that BM provides.

You might be more interested in the new Samurai Blade
than the Ninja II that I will probably be getting.
http://www.atomos.com/samurai-blade/

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#104. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 103

Thu 15-Aug-13 02:30 PM

>The Atomos recorders offer ProRes LT, DNxHD 145 and 36 in
>addition the the codec that BM provides.

From the Apple specs, it appears that DNx36 is the lowest bandwidth recording of any of these units. ProRes Proxy is about the same bandwidth as DNx36 but I didn't see ProRes Proxy mentioned on any of these units.

>You might be more interested in the new Samurai Blade
> than the Ninja II that I will probably be getting.
>http://www.atomos.com/samurai-blade/

Thanks, but it's RAW or nothing for me now if I have to pay for it. Even these lightly compressed formats can't touch RAW when the quality really matters.

------

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#105. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 15-Aug-13 05:59 PM | edited Thu 15-Aug-13 06:04 PM by agitater

I think I consciously avoided a Video category in the poll specifically because a skilled videographer can't just pick up a D800/800e and start shooting top quality video with the camera as-is right out of the box. At least you can't do so as easily as a skilled still photographer can start shooting top quality photos with the same camera as-is right out of the box.

As for the camera being a jack-of-all-trades, I don't think it is. The whole (old) expression is: Jack of all trades, master of none. That's just not true of the D800/800e. It is a superb still photography camera, and many consider it the best DSLR ever made (to date that is). It's only a competent HD video camera after you've mounted it on the right sticks, purchased and mounted a good digital audio recorder, purchased and mounted a good quality external mic (or two), and so on, in order to get it to where a decent broadcast quality unit already is right out of the box. The merits are there in the D800 for video, no doubt, but not until after a sizeable investment for gear in addition to the camera itself and whatever lenses you already own.

. . . and that's why I didn't add video to the poll as a separate category. Anybody who hasn't voted because video wasn't included as a separate category should vote for the Events category (or whichever category fits your video work) and make a note of it in a post reply here. I'll add it to the stats.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Starius

US
40 posts

#106. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 105

Thu 15-Aug-13 11:57 PM

I totally understand your reasoning for not having a video option in this poll. I mean, Stills and Video really are kind of a "Apples and Oranges" sort of comparison here.

Though I felt that I should add that with the very nature of video production, you need all those (or at least most of those) additions no matter what video camera you're using. Audio is usually recorded externally and synced up to camera audio, you sometimes need as many mics as you have talent on screen, you have different lighting considerations, etc. That's just the nature of the game there. It's not as "freeing" as just picking up a camera and clicking away at shots - which I do find more instantly gratifying.

When I previously mentioned "jack of all trades," I think that perhaps it was misleading from what I was inwardly thinking. What I was really meaning in retrospect was "jack of the two trades that I personally care about."

I have a good idea of what I'm getting into with the D800 for video. I have a list of about $10K worth of video gear I'm working towards, the D800 is just $2.4K of that mental budget. It's the core of what I'm wanting to work with. I'm not made of money, I just sell contractor grade tools by day. But I don't have much in the way of expenses and I think I can have it all acquired in a year or two.
People could argue from now till the end of time about what would be the best gear to get with that budget, but I know what is best for me personally with my own skills and limitations. I don't make these decisions lightly, when I get something I use it for a very long time. I just got rid of my old car after driving it for 18 years. I'm still using my D100 after having it over 10 years. I just used it for a wedding photography job last weekend, I'm currently processing the pictures now. That was a $400 freelance job, and one that the D800 probably would have made more enjoyable for me. (Wedding photography always drives me nuts, why do I keep saying yes to that stuff? Well, the 400 bucks helps.)

Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to get at is that sometimes you just know when something is going to work for you. The D800 is, in some respects, a near medium format camera with all those megapixels. I never questioned whether it wouldn't be a good still camera for me.
As for video, I knew instantly that it would work for me after I saw this video from Nice Lady Productions https://vimeo.com/62571696 and this video from Philip Bloom https://vimeo.com/42065372
And that's the two things I need from a camera right now. I need good stills. I need good video. I can express my creativity with both. And, also importantly, I can keep using everything I've gotten for my D100 over time.

I do apologize for contributing to the derailment of this thread, because I know it was never really about video in the first place. My only point was the fact that it's video capabilities was the key aspect in my purchasing decision. But that being said, I will now vote in the poll with purely still photography in mind.

-Starius

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#107. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 106

Fri 16-Aug-13 01:55 PM

>I do apologize for contributing to the derailment of this
>thread, because I know it was never really about video in the
>first place. My only point was the fact that it's video
>capabilities was the key aspect in my purchasing decision. But
>that being said, I will now vote in the poll with purely still
>photography in mind.

You may have left out the most important detail. Exactly what category(ies) of video is/are your primary interest(s)? Events? Wildlife? Documentary? Interviews? Inquiring minds would like to know.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Starius

US
40 posts

#108. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 107

Fri 16-Aug-13 08:44 PM

>>I do apologize for contributing to the derailment of
>this
>>thread, because I know it was never really about video in
>the
>>first place. My only point was the fact that it's video
>>capabilities was the key aspect in my purchasing decision.
>But
>>that being said, I will now vote in the poll with purely
>still
>>photography in mind.
>
>You may have left out the most important detail. Exactly what
>category(ies) of video is/are your primary interest(s)?
>Events? Wildlife? Documentary? Interviews? Inquiring minds
>would like to know.
>

I hope to do a wide array of experimenting when it comes to video usage. One of my main interests is simply in the field of color grading for different looks and atmospheric feels. So the subject matter is actually not the focus for me right now, but the editing process itself.

I have a few different friends who have dived (and will likely dive again) in the world of Kickstarter projects, so I expect I will often help out creating video presentations for such projects. I simply want to work on editing and stylistic techniques until I feel comfortable with perhaps tackling some music video or narrative short film projects. So I guess for me personally when it comes to video, the "what" isn't as important as the "how" for the time being.

-Starius

philm35

USA, US
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#109. "RE: How Are You Primarily Using Your D800 or D800E?" | In response to Reply # 105

philm35 Registered since 25th Jan 2004
Sat 31-Aug-13 03:04 PM

I bought my D800 almost exclusively to shoot digital cinema.

G