Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
bobby18301

east stroudsburg, US
48 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bobby18301 Registered since 31st Mar 2008
Fri 05-Apr-13 10:57 PM

I'm sure this has been addressed before but for Nikon to put out an outstanding camera like the D800 and then put that stupid, flimsy battery door on it does not reflect well on the Nikon company. I've had the thing just literally fall off the camera in my camera kit already.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#1. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Fri 05-Apr-13 09:29 PM

Yep. I have 5 spares to hold me over until I get the grip. Mine popped off when the battery was out and the door as closed. I bumped it and it moved the door which was under no tension from the battery. I suppose it is harder with the battery inserted, but still.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#2. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Fri 05-Apr-13 10:50 PM

This has been reported before. I've had my D800e since last May and never had any problem with the door. I thought the people reporting it must be abusing it somehow. That was until yesterday when the door fell off while I was changing batteries. Now I'm following a recommendation from earlier posts; I have put a piece of black electrical tape across the hinge. At least I won't lose the door if it comes loose again.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

venusian

US
186 posts

#3. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 2

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Sun 07-Apr-13 09:48 AM | edited Sun 07-Apr-13 09:50 AM by venusian

Amazing that one has to put black electrical tape on a $3300 camera. I have the D800E as well and even though I never had a problem with a battery door falling off, I guess I should take preventative action.

Hate to say it, but I've really soured on Nikon, the way it treats its customers, and the shoddy service/support it now provides. I started with Nikon during the early 90s and never had a problem until I went through three D700s and a lot of angst before getting one that worked properly. Since then things seem to have progressively gone down hill.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

Chuckv

Lafayette, US
254 posts

#4. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 3

Chuckv Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009
Sun 07-Apr-13 10:16 AM

>had a problem until I went through three D700s and a lot of
>angst before getting one that worked properly. Since then
>things seem to have progressively gone down hill.

What problem causes you to return three D700???

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I've never had to return or send in for service any Nikon camera that I own or have owned, but I certainly understand if the battery door was falling off that would be different.....

Chuck

Chuck Vincent, Nikon F100, P7000, D100, D7100, D700, D4

Nion Lens- 50 1.8, 17-35 F/2.8, 28-105 F3.5-4.5D Macro, 28-300, 24-70 2.8, 85 1.4D 70-200 2.8

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10636 posts

#5. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 07-Apr-13 11:24 AM | edited Sun 07-Apr-13 11:25 AM by ericbowles

I had the battery door fall off back in October. The replacement at the time cost $25 and took 4 weeks through Nikon Authorized. Now the door is under $4 through the Nikon Store but shipping is over $10. I like Scott's idea of getting a few spares.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonprt/en_US/pd/ThemeID.30573000/productID.259487800

It was a big mistake to redesign the door the way they did. Of all the Nikon DSLR batter doors, this one is the worst.

If you are ordering parts from Nikon, this is a good item to order and carry an extra. Like lens and body caps, this is a standard spare item.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#6. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 5

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sun 07-Apr-13 05:04 PM

> Now the door is under $4 through the Nikon
>Store but shipping is over $10.

That's why I bought 5. It felt stupid paying $3.95 for the door and $10.00 for shipping

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3385 posts

#7. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Mon 08-Apr-13 07:54 AM

I hate to say it, but after 40 years of nothing but Nikons -- they are not what they used to be in terms of durability. I know people have had three years of good use of a D700 or such. I have replaced two hot shoes on my D700 bodies and had various pieces of rubber work their ways loose. I am about to send a D700 back for another flash issue -- loose D800 in the flash shoe and inability to get the camera to function in the ITT/BL mode. From my first Nikon S Rangefinder (which I still have, and which still works perfectly) to my D200, including a pair of D1Xs I hauled through Iraq, I have had no problems. What I find perhaps most disturbing is the fact there is no communication when you ask for an explanation. And I am an NPS member.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

venusian

US
186 posts

#8. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 4

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Mon 08-Apr-13 07:04 PM | edited Tue 09-Apr-13 04:30 PM by venusian

>What problem causes you to return three D700???>

Re the 3 returns of the D700, the first one was purchased from B&H and a large, hair-like artifact showed up in the photos. My efforts to remove the "hair" proved futile.

Sent it back to B&H within 30 days and they could not clean the "hair' off so they sent me another D700.

After the B&H 30-day grace period, the second camera started to produce pictures that were not metered correctly (it was way off). After a lot of back and forth with Nikon, they said, send it in. I did.

They sent it back and the problem was worse. I sent it back in again for repair and they sent it back to me "repaired." I believe it was a Level 2 repair.

When the camera arrived, I could not turn it on...battery was fine...did a whole bunch of things with tech support on the phone and nothing worked. Seems like the whole camera was fried.

I told them I'm sending back the camera. that I didn't want it back and that Nikon should send me a brand new replacement that works...that's what I paid for. They (support) said they could not do that.

I sent the camera back to "support," told them to keep it, and started going up the corporate ladder until I hit a VP of Customer Relations. She was very understanding and eventually sent me a brand new body that worked flawlessly for several years.

This whole episode took about 6 months. The winner here was B&H...they are always doing the right thing to support their customers. Compared to today, Nikon doesn't come close to their support.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#9. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 7

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Mon 08-Apr-13 09:20 PM

My D700 is 4+ years old, the D300s is 2.5 years old and my D800 is 30 days old and I've yet to have a problem. Guess I'm lucky. I will apply a piece of gaffers tape over the door on the D800 just in case. Thanks for the tip!

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Testing123

Southern California, US
64 posts

#10. "RE: Battery door" | In response to Reply # 5

Testing123 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2009
Sat 13-Apr-13 05:31 AM

>If you are ordering parts from Nikon, this is a good item to
>order and carry an extra.

Except that according to the website (http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonprt/en_US/pd/ThemeID.30573000/productID.259487800) you can only order a maximum of 10.

Allen

G