Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Noisy shutter during time-lapse movie production with D800

fdormoy

CA
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fdormoy Registered since 18th Feb 2013
Thu 28-Mar-13 04:59 PM

Compared with my Sony XDCAM EX1 camera which is silent when making timelapse movies, the D800 is quite noisy everytime a shot is taken.
I presume that this is it. Unless someone tells me if there is a way to make it more silent.

Furthermore, using the shutter at 1 second interval during 30 minutes and doing that several times a day and several day a year, is that going to accelerate the wear of the shutter ?

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#1. "RE: Noisy shutter during time-lapse movie production with D800" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Thu 28-Mar-13 04:41 PM

The shutter noise is normal on the D800. I was shooting some HDR panos last fall and every time I started a series, everyone around me turned to see what was going on. Not a stealthy shutter at all.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

epicdream

Cambridge, UK
189 posts

#2. "RE: Noisy shutter during time-lapse movie production with D800" | In response to Reply # 0

epicdream Silver Member Charter Member
Mon 01-Apr-13 12:22 PM

You've got to take the good with the bad.

The EX1 doesn't have a mirror that slaps up and down, but it also doesn't have 36mp sensor and a range of fantastic lenses.

Neill

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#3. "RE: Noisy shutter during time-lapse movie production with D800" | In response to Reply # 2

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Mon 01-Apr-13 12:47 PM

Exactly. ~2MP vs 36MP...

Or he could buy a RED Epic. That would make less noise.

-P

>You've got to take the good with the bad.
>
>The EX1 doesn't have a mirror that slaps up and down, but it
>also doesn't have 36mp sensor and a range of fantastic
>lenses.
>
>Neill
>
>Website: www.epicdream.co.uk

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#4. "RE: Noisy shutter during time-lapse movie production with D800" | In response to Reply # 1

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 04-Apr-13 12:52 AM

I've been meaning to try LiveView for HDR bursts, so I just tried it. With these newer cameras you can enter LiveView stills mode to flap up the mirror once, fire your entire HDR burst (by depressing and holding the shutter down), and then press the shutter one more time to flap the mirror back down.

Probably only appropriate on tripod, or more appropriate on tripod. Mostly my HDR bursts are handheld, so in the past I lived with the mirror-flap noise and the looks from others

This LiveView HDR burst method is still surprisingly noisy having just tried it now, composed I'm guessing of a combination of shutter and aperture lever, but it is quieter than non-LiveView mode.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#5. "RE: Noisy shutter during time-lapse movie production with D800" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 04-Apr-13 01:15 AM

And I meant to mention yes time lapse is very shutter intensive, no way around that until we get an electronic shutter option (like on the V1).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

G