Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Wed 27-Mar-13 11:39 AM

Got a couple of problems with my new D800. First, I cannot format either the SD or CF card using the the two button Format feature. I do not get the FOR message. It does format if I go through the menu. Is there something I need to turn on to get the camera to format or do I have a problem? Second problem, I cannot get image review to come on after taking a picture? Is this a setting I need to turn on? I'm coming from a D700 so I shouldn't be having any problems?

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#1. "RE: Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 27-Mar-13 11:20 AM

Check page 32 of the English manual. Press and hold the Mode and Trash buttons simultaneously for long enough to cause "For" to begin blinking on the top LCD. To format, while "For" is still blinking press the two buttons again, then the formatting will commence.

Check page 265 of the English manual. "On" must be selected in the Playback Menu in order for image review to operate after each shot.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#2. "RE: Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?" | In response to Reply # 1

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012
Wed 27-Mar-13 11:51 AM

Also, if you're doing it by feel, make sure your right finger isn't on the badly placed movie button instead of the mode button. After many years with my D2x and D3 I do that all the time.

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#3. "RE: Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?" | In response to Reply # 2

Wed 27-Mar-13 01:12 PM

I am following the direction on page 32 and nothing happens. Just to make sure I do it my D700 and it works each time. With the D800 nothing happens. It looks like a trip to Nikon or an exchange with Adorama. I just want a body that I paid over $2300 refurbished to work like a new camera.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#4. "RE: Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?" | In response to Reply # 3

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Wed 27-Mar-13 01:17 PM

Just check to be sure that there is a card in the slot you formatting and that the slot is selected for formatting. Also, if that is being done correctly, can you successfully format with the menu tool?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#5. "RE: Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 27-Mar-13 09:29 PM

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Tonight when I got home from work I tried the two button format again and no luck. I tried it with the 24-85VR and a 50 f/1.4G lenses. I tried different memory cards and no luck. Then I tried my old 50 f/1.4D lens and I got it to work, as a matter of fact it works with all of my AF and AF-D lenses. It seems to have some sort of quirk that prevents it from formating with G lenses attached. Now I'm happy, problem solved! Now to go out and give it a workout to make sure it's free of other issues!

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#6. "RE: Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?" | In response to Reply # 5

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 27-Mar-13 10:06 PM

I guess the only question left to ask is whether or not your D800 is running the very latest firmware. If not, a firmware update to the latest versions might fix the problem.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#7. "RE: Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 28-Mar-13 12:20 AM

I am using the latest firmware. I've tested a dozen lenses and it's only the 24-85VR and 50 f/1.4G that prevents the camera from using the two button format. Don't know but it seems to be a lens problem since my other lenses allows for the format funtion to work.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#8. "RE: Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 28-Mar-13 01:15 AM | edited Thu 28-Mar-13 01:26 AM by agitater

I assume the camera is turned off when you're changing lenses. If the contacts on the two lenses are clean, there's nothing left but to report a bug to Nikon. Crazy problem.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#9. "RE: Cannot format cards using the the mode + delete button and other problems?" | In response to Reply # 3

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Thu 28-Mar-13 01:21 AM

>I am following the direction on page 32 and nothing happens.
>Just to make sure I do it my D700 and it works each time.
>With the D800 nothing happens. It looks like a trip to Nikon
>or an exchange with Adorama. I just want a body that I paid
>over $2300 refurbished to work like a new camera.

That is probably the reason why this camera is refurbished in the first place. Original owner returned it because of this problem.
I would definitely report it to Nikon and fix it.

G