Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Left Focus Issue....Still?

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JimH Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 12-Mar-13 04:56 AM

OK... I've had my 800e for almost a week now. I was doing some more reading on the the left focal point issue and I decided to do a little more testing this evening. With a 24-70mm @ 2.8-50mm and a target distance of 12' it looks like my camera has the problem. Using auto-focus with the left FP the target is OOF but an object 3' past the target is fairly sharp. Using LV to focus I can get the target sharp, naturally the object past the target is OOF.

I know this topic has been discussed thoroughly, though I haven't seen any threads that are recent. Another thing I just noticed, someone posted back in May of last year, that his 800 had the problem. He listed the serial# of his camera as 30095XX. I purchased my camera 10 months later from B&H and my serial number is lower than his, 30093XX What's up with that. I know the 800e is less of a production run than the 800, but really...

So has this issue been addressed on the latest bodies?
What's the latest scoop.

Jim H.

"Things are'nt always quite as cherry, as they first seem"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

James_F

Prescott, US
565 posts

#1. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 0

James_F Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007
Tue 12-Mar-13 01:20 PM

My D800E was purchased from B&H on Feb. 20. Serial number 30120XX. My copy is perfect in every way. Keep in mind the D800 and the D800E have different serial number sequences.

Since you did some testing "this evening" (to quote you), I assume you did it indoors and in some kind of incandescent lighting. Trying doing your test outdoors if you've done yours indoors to confirm focus. I've read that the D800/E have some kind of issue with AF and incandescent light. If you have a prime like a 50/1.8 or something, try using that too. I guess what I am saying is try a different lens.

I followed the procedure described here exactly - http://www.bythom.com/D800autofocus.htm - to the letter for testing and to verify my copy was OK.

Bottom line, I would not declare your D800/E to have an issue until you do some more testing.

Jim F. from Prescott, AZ
http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

#2. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 12-Mar-13 06:04 PM

I tried your suggestion and tested the camera outside. It stopped raining just long enough to make a quick test. I wound up with pretty much the same results using the 24-70mm 2.8 The other two lenses I have are the 14-24mm 2.8 and the 80-400 VR, I didn't bother testing with those. I have a 50mm 1.2, Of course it's manual focus, maybe I could test with that one. I tested the same setup last evening with my D3s, no issues with focussing on that camera body.

Yes, it seems the sereial numbers are different from the D800. They seem to be lower in the sequence. FWIW... Another Nikonians member purchased an 800E from B&H during the first week of January, his serial number is 2000+ higher than mine. Your camera is around 2700 higher than mine. That leads me to belive my camerea an earlier production. How much earlier I'm not sure, I can tell you though, I'd prefere a higher serial number like yours.

I'm glad to read that your camera is free of this left focus issue. It gives me hope that I may be able to aquire an 800E with out this issue as well.

Jim H.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#3. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 2

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Tue 12-Mar-13 06:47 PM

I think I read where Thomm said the problem was corrected starting with production sometime in August. Only Nikon can say when yours was made, I guess. I think his article mentioned serial numbers, so if I can find it, I'll let you know.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#4. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 0

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Tue 12-Mar-13 07:35 PM

I have an early release D800 with the left focus problem. It is quite obvious with a 24/1.4, noticiable with a 50/1.4 but difficult to see at 2.8. So it sounds like yours may be worse.
That said, a test outdoors with a tripod, high shutter speed etc. may be useful. Additionally, you should check the right focus sensor to eliminate the possibility that it is just a bad target for the outer focus points which are not as good as the center.
If your not satisfied with the results, I would not hesitate to return/exchange it. I have only seen one other post about a possible left focus issue on a D800 past last August but perhaps yours has been in the supply chain for a while.

A discussion of D800/E serial numbers:
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=430&topic_id=19640&prev_page=show_topic&gid=19640#19645

Brian

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#5. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 13-Mar-13 05:31 AM

Is it possible that the focus target not filling enough of the physical focus point? The focus point is a larger area than the box indicator in the viewfinder. I mention this because you said something beyond the intended target was in focus. If there is any target with higher contrast, brighter etc in the focus sensor area, it will select the better target, instead of the one you intended. To prevent that use a target on a flat surface that fills the frame so there is no other focal plane to confuse the camera as to which you intended. A flat wall, perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the lens with the target taped flat to the wall would reduce the number of uncontrolled variables that cause tests to be less informative than they should be.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

#6. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 14-Mar-13 02:16 AM

Hi Stan

Thanks for the tips but I dont think that was the case. The camera definitely has left focus issues.

I decided to send the 800E back to B&H for an exchange. I'm thinking my chances are around 50-50 or less, that I'll recieve an 800E back that doesn't have the left focue issue. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm just not that optimistic.

I'm bummed out that I had to send the camera back, though I should recieve the replacement by the beginning of next week. On a good note, I just recieved my new 85mm 1.4G that was on back order for a short period from B&H. I'll have to put it on my out dated D3s and play with that for a while until the replacement 800E arrives.

By the way, I took your advise from a previous post and ordered the RRS L-plate that is for use on the 800E with out the MD-12 grip. It is more stable on a tripod in that configuration.

Happy Trails
Jim H.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#7. "Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 6

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Thu 14-Mar-13 03:59 AM | edited Thu 14-Mar-13 04:02 AM by johno

Happened to me too. So this gets me fired up. If you have the problem, I'm sorry for you.

Hopefully it will get fixed but don't count on it. Verify. As soon as it gets back check it, and get on their case within 12 hours if its still wrong. And by check I mean check left, center, right, top, bottom. Front or back focus?

Nikon will tell you it is "in spec." Which means nothing. What spec?

And with all respect to the advocates of rigorous testing, ignore that. A camera does not generally require precise external conditions to focus correctly. Have any of us ever felt compelled to verify sharp focus? It's what is inside the camera that needs careful testing.

Is a normal shot in focus or out? Shoot at your friend's eye like a normal portrait.

There is one "test, however, which I found very useful and a low-cost replacement for a fancy lens align system. I got this from one of the Nikon sites.

You need a rectangular thing about the size of a small book, and a nice yard stick. I used a 5 DVD set of a WW2 documentary. It has a lot of big letters and contrasts graphics, for easy focus lock. A Capt'n Crunch box might work better. (taller). The focus target must be square or rectangular.

Put the target on a table, and put your yard stick next to the target like a ski slope. Get the target square with the ruler. Jack up the far end so the ruler intersects about the middle of the target. Example, put the front edge of the target right on the 50 cm mark.

Get the camera about level with the center of the target, and shoot using a wide aperture. You can see if the target is in focus, or by how much it is off.

When it comes back try some normal shots and this easy test. And make them send you a prepaid label if they get it wrong.

Please keep the forum posted. He who has sent his camera to Nikon with me shall be my brother....

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#8. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 7

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Thu 14-Mar-13 12:50 PM | edited Thu 14-Mar-13 01:05 PM by Tinkers Realm

I had one of the D800's from the early release & it had the dreaded Left focusing issue in addition to the back focusing issue in addition to the recalled battery issue.
I complained from the first batch of pics that something was off with the camera ( not having heard of any troubles before never dreamed of AF/back focus issues on a brand new body). I was told by the local store where I purchased it that it was due to the high MP's. I could see the results in my images & continued to insist something was wrong but my shop only had a 14 day return policy so I kept shooting hoping to "Master this Monster of a MP camera". I started researching and discovered that others were having similiar issues and how to test/check my body. I ran the seiman star test, the portrait test, the cereal box test all w/ similiar results - my camera was sharp center w/MUP but a blurred mess on the left & soft on the right w/ occasional back focus issue. I finally called Nikon & sent it in for repair and had it back within the week. I retested it again & even resorted to sending the test images to an acquaintance that had the same issue & writes a popular blog and posted about his issues too as I was certain the images were not sharp but wanted another set of eyes. When my body was returned ( L.A. is where mine was sent) the left blur issue was somewhat improved but the center was now off and the right soft issue and back focusing issue was still evident/ unchanged.
By the end of the process I had lost all confidence in the camera and was sick & tired of testing it to prove what was so obvious in the images. I had a person that knew of the issues with my camera but still wanted to buy it at a deep discount & so I sold it.
I still would love to own this camera but have not repurchased it yet as I am going to just wait it out and see if Nikon either fixes the issue or replaces it with a similiar body.
Best wishes in your replacement but if the new body has the issue too - I would just ship it right back ASAP!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#9. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 14-Mar-13 01:01 PM | edited Thu 14-Mar-13 01:01 PM by johno

A conclusion and a question

Nikon is not to be trusted with quality control or repairs.

Why is this focus issue so difficult to fix? If they can make a camera (like my new one) that is fine, why can't they fix a bad one?

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#10. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 14-Mar-13 01:03 PM

Hi johno,

Note that the OP was within the return window and sent the D800E back to B&H for exchange rather than Nikon repair. A decision which I think we would both agree.

I am way past that option, so thanks for the tips.

Brian

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#11. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 14-Mar-13 01:10 PM | edited Thu 14-Mar-13 01:11 PM by Tinkers Realm

>A conclusion and a question
>
>Nikon is not to be trusted with quality control or repairs.
>
>Why is this focus issue so difficult to fix? If they can make
>a camera (like my new one) that is fine, why can't they fix a
>bad one?

Well, without going into all of the technical reasons from what I have read the calibration was off on some of the assembly lines or the camera has to be dismantled in order for the repair to be done correctly versus originally I think the repair dept. tried tweaking but not completely dismantling so many like mine returned even worse than when I sent it in for repair.

www.TinkersRealm.com

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#12. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 14-Mar-13 01:59 PM

>Hi johno,
>
>Note that the OP was within the return window and sent the
>D800E back to B&H for exchange rather than Nikon repair. A
>decision which I think we would both agree.
>
>I am way past that option, so thanks for the tips.
>
>
>Brian
>
>

You're welcome. Thanks for the help with reading comprehension. (Sincerely, I had forgotten that post.) Definitely letting B&H have it back is the way to go. I bought mine local vs. having to wait in line at B&H. A mistake. My D700 was not in urgent need of immediate replacement.

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

#13. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 14-Mar-13 05:00 PM

I feel for all the people who had to deal with this left focus issue. Especailly those who sent their cameras in to Nikon to have the problem corrected, only to get it back with the center and right AF sensors whacked out. That's really inexcusable... I'm hoping thats no longer happening at Nikons service centers. They should have a good grip on what needs to be done by now.

As I stated in my original post, I think my chances of getting an 800E body back with out the left focus issue are 50-50 or less. I'll find out next week. I'd really like to get a keeper.

Jim H.

gaopa

Hartwell, US
780 posts

#14. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 12

gaopa Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2003
Fri 15-Mar-13 12:15 AM

I have had my D800 for a week tomorrow. I got it from B&H and am using the Nikkor 24-120/4 VR lens with it. I now have taken around 600 images and the focus is fine. If there was a problem, and from what some of you have said there was a problem, it is now corrected (at least on mine). I'm really enjoying my D800. Cheers, Bill P.

Georgia Opa

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

#15. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 14

Fri 15-Mar-13 12:48 AM

Thank's Bill...

A few words of encouragement is nice to hear. Does the serial number on your camera read 301xxxx, or is it like the the one I returned 300xxxx. Just curious.

Jim H.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#16. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 14

Fri 15-Mar-13 12:59 AM | edited Sat 16-Mar-13 03:33 PM by Tinkers Realm

>I have had my D800 for a week tomorrow. I got it from B&H
>and am using the Nikkor 24-120/4 VR lens with it. I now have
>taken around 600 images and the focus is fine. If there was a
>problem, and from what some of you have said there was a
>problem, it is now corrected (at least on mine). I'm really
>enjoying my D800. Cheers, Bill P.

Glad to read that you got a good copy-curious to know-have you tried shooting with any wide 1.4 wide open? The problem for me really showed up when I used my wide fast glass.

www.TinkersRealm.com

gaopa

Hartwell, US
780 posts

#17. "RE: Brace yourself..." | In response to Reply # 15

gaopa Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2003
Sat 16-Mar-13 08:55 AM

>Thank's Bill...
>
>A few words of encouragement is nice to hear. Does the serial
>number on your camera read 301xxxx, or is it like the the one
>I returned 300xxxx. Just curious.
>
>Jim H.

My serial number is 306xxxx.

I don't have any 1.4 glass so I can't check that. I have a 50/1.8, but have not tried that lens on the D800. Cheers, Bill P.

Georgia Opa

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

#18. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 19-Mar-13 11:35 PM

OK....Up Date

I just recieved the replacement 800E today from B&H. A quick test indoors with an 85mm 1.4G @1.4 shows that most likely the camaera is free from the left focus issue. I shot using center, left and right (phase detect) AF points. All three images look very sharp. I know the 85mm isn't exactly a wide angle, how ever, with it's very shallow DOF I think the lens would show the issue if it were present.

The serial number is 3,850 units higher than the 800E I recieved just three weeks ago. I wasn't too optimistic that I would wind up with a keeper. Some times it's nice to be wrong. Now I'll have to check out a few functions that others reported having trouble with. Then finally, go out and take photo's.

Jim H.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#19. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 18

Tue 19-Mar-13 11:46 PM

Great News & What a Relief! My firend took & calibrated his D800 & says it is now Tack Sharp too!

www.TinkersRealm.com

shrimp

Sherman Oaks, US
56 posts

#20. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 19

shrimp Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Mon 25-Mar-13 09:09 PM

Ahhhh!
I've had my D800 for about a month, serial # 305xxxxx. It has the dreaded left focus issue. Thankfully, Adorama is exchanging it. Hope my next copy is tack sharp. (crossing my fingers)

Pat

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#21. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 20

Tue 26-Mar-13 01:15 AM

So...do I understand correctly that this a new-production camera?

If so, wow.

The resale market for these things is going to require left-focus validation.

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#22. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 21

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Tue 26-Mar-13 09:07 AM | edited Tue 26-Mar-13 11:38 AM by DAJolley

>The resale market for these things is going to require left-focus validation.>
Therein lies the problem. How will you verify the problem with so many variables in the testing process? What if the owner doesn't own a wide fast lens to test their camera, assumes there is no "problem" and the buyer tests it and finds a problem?. We have members here who have only tested their camera with a 85mm lens, pronounced it free of the left AF focus problem and may sell it in the future only to find the new owner tests it with a wide lens and has a problem. What if you test with paper targets, find the AF "good enough", sell it to someone using Focal who does more rigorous testing and determines the camera has a problem? I know other D800 owners who have never tested their D800 for focus problems because they just don't care; they focus and recompose or never use the outer AF points.
Even if your camera is problem free, any buyers who follow forums or do a simple search for D800 information will find plenty to question before they buy a used D800. Unfortunately, I think the resale market for D800's will always be affected by the problems this camera has suffered since introduction.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

wooster

UK
120 posts

#23. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 22

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Tue 26-Mar-13 11:26 AM

Hi JimH

Have you had a chance to check this camera under conditions in which the fault is likely to show yet? - ie with wider angle lenses than the 85mm you had a quick run with?

Given the fact your first camera was faulty it seems this issue is ongoing. I'd be really interested in hearing your results when you test

Wooster

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#24. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 22

Tue 26-Mar-13 11:34 AM

My camera didnt focus right with any lens,, wide or zoom.

The rigorous testing protocol is a myth. It's easy to tell if there is a problem simply by taking normal photos.

The testing protocol proves only that one can complete a testing protocol.

I am the lone wolf on this perhaps, but until testing protocol advocates insist on protocols to prove focus is good, I can't take seriously the need for a test to prove it is bad. And besides, Nikon has a testing protocol and look where that got us.

My opinion is the testing protocol is a subconscious psychological attempt to bring power and control to an unhappy and uncomfortable situation; to compensate from focus insecurity and a DSLR induced belief that one cannot focus after 40 years of shooting unless a protocol is in place. There is also a social proof aspct. Once the Internet says it must be, it must be. But testing this theory requires a research protocol, so it's a mere hypothesis for now.

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#25. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 24

Tue 26-Mar-13 12:25 PM

Hi johno,

Sounds like your D800 had it really bad. Perhaps it even had an additional issue above and beyond the "textbook" left focus issue.
I just did test shots last weekend in preparation for sending my D800 to Melville. My test target was just a DeWalt tool case, focusing on the lettering. At 24/1.4 it is obvious. At 50/1.4 it is noticeable. By the time I would get to 85 it would be a hard case to make. And just for giggles, at 300/2.8 it was dead on using a LensAlign (no fine tuning needed).
I'm not disagreeing, that rigorous testing may not be needed in many cases, but there may also be more subtle instances of the left focus problem. Depending on shooting style (for example a wildlife shooter) the problem might not be readily apparent in one's normal shooting. Some may not readily have the lenses required to reveal the issue.

For what its worth, my "testing" consisted of 3 shots phase detect (AF-S) and 3 shots contrast detect (live view) at each of three focus points: far left, center, far right. Focus ring twisted before each shot. All three left focus point phase detect images are obviously not like all the others at 24/1.4. At 50/1.4 still evident but less so. Target at about 10 feet, tripod, remote cable, shutter speed > 1/2000 etc.
I call it "testing" but perhaps a better word is documentation. Not long after getting the camera I knew I had the problem by just shooting a gate lock with my 24/1.4 using the left focus point. But, of course, I was looking for it and I had the lens.

Brian

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#26. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 25

Tue 26-Mar-13 02:29 PM | edited Tue 26-Mar-13 02:30 PM by johno

I think it was bad. How bad is of course subjective, and sincerely subject to objective testing to define "bad."

Here's a link to what I was seeing -- the origninal problem, and after Nikon returned the camera "in spec."

http://www.osthus.us/focus_examples/

The left focus problem is obvious, as is the front focus problem after the fix.

I'm curious if this is the same level of fuzz others have seen.

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#27. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 26

Tue 26-Mar-13 03:52 PM | edited Tue 26-Mar-13 03:58 PM by stappy

I've put my "test" shots in my gallery. Unfortunately, it's a lot more cumbersome than flipping through them in Lightroom or ViewNX. If you just look at the large view of the 'Left PDAF 24/1.4' you'll see the effect. Compare it to any other, in particular the 'Left CDAF 24/1.4' or the 'Right PDAF 24/1.4'.

Looking at your shots, that mailbox is 2-3 times the distance of my target and you are using a 2.8 vs. my 1.4. With that amount of DOF I'm not sure my D800 would really show the problem.

Brian

Edit: Sorting the gallery by post date seems to be best.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#28. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 27

Tue 26-Mar-13 03:55 PM

Perhaps.

to clarify, my focus point was the flag, and my daughter's right eye.

rjo

Woodstock, US
69 posts

#29. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 28

rjo Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Apr 2008
Tue 26-Mar-13 04:42 PM

I bought my D800 from KEH as a factory refurbished about four weeks ago. I shot a wedding where the high ISO performance was exceptional, and the focus issue appears to be absent (haven't had time to do actual testing, but after about 4000 photos, it's looking ok).

I do feel for all those people who got the run-around and had to send their cameras back, some even multiple times. I sense this camera was in the pipeline before the tsunami, and was rushed into production just as they began to recover; so they probably weren't as careful as they needd to be with it. For what it's worth, I've been using Nikon equipment since 1969 and have not personally had a problem yet, and in recent years all my camera bodies have been factory refurbished models.

RJO

Nikon nut since 1968.

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

#30. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 23

Tue 26-Mar-13 06:39 PM | edited Wed 27-Mar-13 10:06 PM by JimH

Wooster

Two or three days ago, I put the 24-70mm F/2.8 on the 800E and duplicatied the test as it was done with the first body I had recieved. I was hesitant to see the results, but fortunately, as with the 85mm F/1.4 the results were good. I certainly didn't see the issue like I had with the first body. PD focus and CD focus were the same on the center left and right focus points. I'm fairly confident now that the second body I recieved from B&H doesn't have the dreaded left focus issue. So there are good bodies out there in the supply chain. Again, FWIW, the serial number is some 3,700 units higher than the first body I had.

What I did notice from the test is that the 85mm F/1.4 is alot sharper than the 24-70mm F/2.8 wide open. So much so that I was concerned enough to go out the next day with the 24-70mm and photograph a sceen that I had previously shot with the 85mm @ F/8 a few days before, with the 24-70 stopped down to F/8 I was hard pressed to see any real difference in sharpness between the two images. That was a relief as well.

Sorry I didn't respond to your reply sooner.
Jim H

Edited to Add. 3/27/13

OK... Ignore the first paragraph. I was doing some comparison testing on my 24-70mm F/2.8 with the 800E. While I was at it I checked the left focus point again. Unfortunately it is not right on the money like I previously thought. Looks like it's back focusing possibly two feet. This evening I'll do some more testing. I'm going to see how my D3s does as well. I'll report back later. I know this topic has been well discussed many times, but it think to most of the D800E owners here, it is a serious issue that might be worth beating to death.

Jim H.

Phil5780

Portland, US
28 posts

#31. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 0

Phil5780 Registered since 23rd Mar 2013
Wed 27-Mar-13 02:04 PM

Does this issue only affect a single left focus box? If so that sounds like a dream. My Canon 5d II mis-focuses anywhere, anytime. I counting the days until again I'm a Nikon owner.

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#32. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 31

Wed 27-Mar-13 02:33 PM

The typical left focus issue occurs on all left side focus points but is progressively worse the more left you go. It also seems that magnitude of the problem can vary with each body. It is generally assumed to be limited to an unknown percentage of early production cameras. However, there have been recent posts of newly purchased cameras with the issue. It is unclear if they are recent production or if they were earlier production models that got hung up in the supply chain somewhere.

Brian

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#33. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 30

Wed 27-Mar-13 10:00 PM | edited Wed 27-Mar-13 10:02 PM by stappy

Jim,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It is ashamed if this issue is still occurring because otherwise it is a fantastic camera.

In preparation for sending my D800 to Melville, I have taken a series of test shots and have put a subset in my Nikonians gallery. I'm not suggesting that you need to go to that level of effort but I think these images provide a controlled and obvious demonstration of the problem and a method to produce it. On post #25 and #27 of this thread I give some info on the test.

All that said, if you feel the camera is off in some way, then by all means, return it. I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to prove to yourself one way or the other.

Brian

Note in the gallery:
PDAF = phase detect auto focus, normal focusing
CDAF = contrast detect auto focus, live view

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#34. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still? Not Really." | In response to Reply # 32

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 27-Mar-13 10:16 PM

>The typical left focus issue occurs on all left side focus
>points but is progressively worse the more left you go.

Your post is, I think, the first mention I've ever read on Nikonians of anything other than a left-most focus point problem. I probably shouldn't even be touching this thread - my D800 from May 2012 has performed flawlessly.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#35. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 31

Wed 27-Mar-13 10:41 PM

>Does this issue only affect a single left focus box? If so
>that sounds like a dream. My Canon 5d II mis-focuses
>anywhere, anytime. I counting the days until again I'm a
>Nikon owner.

Yikes- I am sad to say that I just walked out of Best Buy with the Mark D lll and a basic 24-105 kit lens- I am just tired of the issue & so am going to work with my old body D700 & the new Canon until Nikon gets the systems issues corrected.
Sad day for a Nikonian Lover!

www.TinkersRealm.com

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#36. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still? Not Really." | In response to Reply # 34

Wed 27-Mar-13 10:49 PM | edited Thu 28-Mar-13 12:18 AM by stappy

My statement is based on
1.) seeing a few Nikonians who have posted their FoCal results showing the entire left side affected
2.) my memory of Nikonian discussions way back when the camera was first released and people were still discovering and probing the issue. (Though I did not go back and look at the old threads)
3.) my own test results from many months ago. I now only bother with the most left sensor since it is the most obvious.
4.) Multiple Thom Hogan descriptions with statements such as "In particular, the left side of the focus system may have incorrect positions reported."

>I probably shouldn't even be touching this thread -
>my D800 from May 2012 has performed flawlessly.
>
No worries. I am at peace with my camera and optimistic about its future.

Brian

Edit: For 2.) see thread of 09-May-12 by klrbee for multiple references to the left side sensors in general.

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#37. "RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?" | In response to Reply # 35

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Wed 27-Mar-13 11:25 PM

While I have been critical of Nikon recently for what I perceive to be QC issues - it is not like the competition is blameless.

Canon had to concede after the 5d mkiii release that some had a 'light leak' issue which caused erratic metering in darker conditions when using the top lcd's back lighting.

Not trying to defend Nikon as much as point out that it does happen now and then, and it is always frustrating, but it is as likely to happen buying a 5d as a D800 from what I have read. I would just pick the camera I want and find a good one. I am still on the hunt for a good D600 to pair with my D700.

Jason

G