Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment

matcam

cambridge, US
723 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007
Sat 02-Mar-13 02:54 AM | edited Sat 02-Mar-13 07:58 PM by matcam

I know this can get old but I just wanted to share the moment I realized I had more pixels than I'd likely ever need.

I was doing some standard post processing on a shot of the Haleakala Volcano crater on Maui with the Big Island of Hawaii visible in the background. I zoomed in to 100% to check for sharpening artifacts and realized I could count the observatories on the summit of Mauna Kea nearly 75 miles away! Neither shot is likely to grace my wall but dang, that's some serious resolution.

Click on image to view larger version

D800, 70-200mm VRII at 120mm, 1/80 sec @ f/5.6

100% crop
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Matt Murphy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Setshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3392 posts

#1. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 02-Mar-13 02:41 PM

Agree! It would probably be sharper if you used a tripod and we could eliminate all that nasty atmosphere between you and the distant peaks! Of course, that would present another challenge. Thanks for sharing and pushing me one step closer to adding a D800 or 800e to my arsenal.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#2. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 0

eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008
Sat 02-Mar-13 04:23 PM

Awesome photo!

matcam

cambridge, US
723 posts

#3. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 0

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 30th May 2007
Sat 02-Mar-13 07:13 PM

Thanks Jean.

Alan, to put this shot into a little better perspective I should note that I was using a cable release, MUP and a tripod with a weight hanging off the center column and a bean bag draped over the body (pretty much the full Monty in other words, support wise). In addition I was at 10,000 feet so the atmosphere was a lot less important a factor than if I had been down at the beach. Now that I think of it perhaps the lack of atmosphere was the key to being able to resolve things so amazingly far away. Those observatories are all up there for a reason!

Matt Murphy

My Flickr Setshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

txstone12

Texas, US
630 posts

#4. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 0

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Sat 02-Mar-13 07:41 PM

I first looked at your post on my iPhone. My initial reaction to the crop was, 'wait a minute, there's no cloud bank below the peaks'. Then I went back and looked more closely and thought, 'holy cxxx, it's the range in back'! Very nice shot!

Great avatar, too, btw,

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2685 posts

#5. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 0

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Sat 02-Mar-13 11:11 PM

I've had a number of similar revelations, only detecting in PP what I had captured. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I wonder how many other fields have a situation like this: for a very reasonable amount of money, you can buy the best camera there is for general landscape & wildlife photography. If you invest 6 or 7 times as much, you get a medium-format Hasselblad with ISO usable to 800 and a single focus area (not a spot).

Regards, Antero

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
173 posts

#6. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 0

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012
Sun 03-Mar-13 12:23 AM | edited Sun 03-Mar-13 08:59 AM by Skyco

Hi Matt,

I never get tired of seeing OMG! images concerning the D800/e camera's awesome resolution. Or photos of Hawaii! I hope you don't mind if I share one of mine which was on the Big Island. My wife and I were walking up a road along a field and this mule came up and kept walking with us. After a while I stopped (mule also) and I pulled up my D800 with an old 24-85 G (pre VR) and snapped a photo of the mule.

After returning home and looking at my files, I zoomed in 100% and in the mule's eye and could see my wife's and my reflection - as well as other detail in the mules eye - from well over 6 feet away.

Also - Just mho - I think it was perhaps heat ripples rising off of the lava fields diffracting a perfectly clear image of the observatories on Mauna Kea. Lava fields do retain and radiate some heat even without molten lava underneath. Just my guess.

do please click for a larger image.

Well Wishes
Ken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2685 posts

#7. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 6

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Sun 03-Mar-13 05:49 AM

My apologies to the OP for this departure from the original photo.

> "I zoomed in 100% and in the mule's eye and could see my wife's and my reflection ..."

I couldn't resist mentioning this, but I have also discovered the reflections of my wife and myself in the eye of an animal, see post #17 in this thread:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_linear_mode&forum=430&page=&topic_id=14541&prev_page=show_topic

Regards, Antero

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3392 posts

#8. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 3

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 03-Mar-13 11:06 PM | edited Sun 03-Mar-13 11:08 PM by ajdooley

Matt - It sure sounds like you took all the right steps -- and your results show that. You hadn't mentioned all the right stuff you did in your initial post, so now it is indeed in perspective. This is somewhat the same experience I had when I shot my first week with my new D700 -- a lot of WOWs as I post-processed. It's guys like you who are pressuring me into a D800 to add to the "family." While I agree, the photo is not aestethically extraordinary, the technical quality it discloses about your camera AND your technique are both truly remarkable. Thank you for sharing and making me drool just a little more!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

nathantw

US
184 posts

#9. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 0

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Mon 04-Mar-13 12:01 PM

Wow, that IS cool!

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

Dadorian

Johannesburg, ZA
83 posts

#10. "RE: Yet Another OMG D800 Resolution Moment" | In response to Reply # 4

Dadorian Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011
Mon 04-Mar-13 04:28 PM

Took me while to realise that as well, very impressive!!

G